Sunderland

Richard

I was shocked that they lost so heavily at the weekend. Usually a new manager brings belief but it shows you how difficult it can be to motivate a team with an air of negativity.

The difference here is that the old manager went one step further than just simply not getting results.  He actually went and sold some of the quality that was already floundering under his control.  Mignolet probably would've gone anyway and Westwood doesn't look too bad.  But Sessegnon and McClean were a big part of that side last season.  Poyet can't get to January soon enough.

agree on most points but not McClean, that guy was poor last season for Sunderland, problem is Fletcher is only player capable of a goal for them

people might laugh but they could do worse than bring Titus Bramble back to shore up defence

agree on most points but not McClean, that guy was poor last season for Sunderland

That's not the point I'm making though. If you accept that a new manager can bring motivation and if you accept that McClean; certainly when he broke through; has been quality for Sunderland in the past, it would have been preferable for the new manager to have him at his disposal. At the very least he would have been a player putting pressure on whoever got the left-sided berth. At best, the new manager could've been a breath of fresh air to a player who had struggled recently.

If you were Ellis short, and come January should Sunderland continue to be so bad, they could be 10 points from safety, would you throw even more cash at trying to stay up like qpr or just accept it and start rebuilding for the next season?

If you were Ellis short, and come January should Sunderland continue to be so bad, they could be 10 points from safety, would you throw even more cash at trying to stay up like qpr or just accept it and start rebuilding for the next season?

If you're 10pts from safety it's a tough call. Obviously you'd invest cautiously. You don't want to give up and go down like a stone. There are ways to get relegated too. A failure of epic proportions can have shockwaves that continue on into the following season whereas a team that only barely goes down has a better chance of keeping better players in the belief that they'll bounce straight back up.

but thing is unlike Villa last season this is not a young team. O'Shea, Larsson, Gardner, Wes Brown, Adam Johnson have all been around the block even Fletcher is in the Premier League 4 seasons now.

they are a team just lacking talent and in fairness to Ellis Short and the consortium before that is they have always backed their manager and each one just wastes their cash

but thing is unlike Villa last season this is not a young team. O'Shea, Larsson, Gardner, Wes Brown, Adam Johnson have all been around the block even Fletcher is in the Premier League 4 seasons now.

they are a team just lacking talent and in fairness to Ellis Short and the consortium before that is they have always backed their manager and each one just wastes their cash

Sorry I mean't an experienced head at the helm. We had the same problem with the likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock. Poyet's whole phiosophy needs time and its something they haven't got.

yeah true but fans would have revolted if they had went for a McLeish or a Pulis. Sunderland had problems before with them short term managers, I remember Howard Wilkinson being a nightmare there 

Similar to Gibson at Middlesbrough. Best of intentions and naïve to the point of relegation.

In fairness boro won a league cup, and got to a uefa cup final under gibsons bankrolling. They have imploded since he stopped spending. Sunderland, id guess have a net spend under Ellis short of £100+ since he took over and have nowt to show for it

Edited by Jimzk5

Similar to Gibson at Middlesbrough. Best of intentions and naïve to the point of relegation.

Similar to someone else I can think of only he got lucky, twice.

That was in my mind when posting that :-)

Dead and buried as far as i can see looking at the table

Even with a new manager they got a right hiding

Just look at what they have to work with in the back four as well

Makes our defence last season look cast iron

• 2 months later...

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet: "It is difficult to take. Football is unpredictable but when you start well and have chances you have to take them.

"Unfortunately the mistake [from Lee Cattermole for Gabriel Agbonhlahor's goal] was against us and after that there were too many nerves and too much tension.

"I don't know why they were nervous and we were not organised enough. People were making individual decisions, but not thinking as a team and that disappoints me. I'm getting a little bit fed up.

"The weakest people look for excuses and it is all down to us to correct it. We miss quality to play at this level and do what we need to do when we are in control of the game."

Is Di canio back? Fed up already bless him.

Â