Sunderland

Richard

If their fans get behind it and it creates a party like atmosphere on matchdays, that in itself might be enough to keep them up, regardless of how good Advocaat is himself. Would be useful if West Ham could get a big win on Saturday to dampen the spirits.

If their fans get behind it and it creates a party like atmosphere on matchdays, that in itself might be enough to keep them up, regardless of how good Advocaat is himself.

Totally disagree. They need a massive kick up the arse, Advocaat is not the man to give them that. You need to give the fans something to cheer, not the other way around.

If their fans get behind it and it creates a party like atmosphere on matchdays, that in itself might be enough to keep them up, regardless of how good Advocaat is himself.

Totally disagree. They need a massive kick up the arse, Advocaat is not the man to give them that. You need to give the fans something to cheer, not the other way around.

I never said that you don't need to give the fans something to cheer. When Sunderland got in Di Canio and O'Neill in similar circumstances, one of the big reasons for the turn around in results was the affect the appointments had on the supporters. Both created a big buzz at the place. That's why I'd like to see West Ham thrash them on Saturday to kill that buzz before it propels them to safety.

Edited by useless

You know what, my football knowledge (well, foreign football knowledge) is so limited I really have no idea who this dude is, or what to expect from him.

I have a feeling it will completely backfire for them though. 

Reminds me of the Magath appointment last season by Fulham. Another manager with no premier league experience who has never been relegated. He'll take them down.

Edited by Arj Guy

I read earlier (can't remember where so no link, sorry) that Ellis Short asked both SAF and Carlo Ancelotti for advice on who could come and firefight. Random?

The famous SAF recommendation.

Deserving of its own thread I think.

Disaster waiting to happen or master stroke? They say he has motivation skills, maybe he does on impressionable players but established premier league players? Will they react well to his special brand of management?

The circus currently surrounding him could actually deflect a bit of pressure away from his team as well and may help them.

I actually hope the appointment backfires spectacularly , not least because it helps us but also because I think he is a totally objectionable character with repugnant views.

I also think he deserves payback for his comments against us after we did his team in the cup earlier this season so I hope we hammer them at VP.

His appointment could go either way , hence my question at the start. Here's hoping it fails miserably

Richard started this thread 2yrs ago and his post could have been made for Poyet, and it could be made today. Here's hoping that this appointment goes the same way as the 2 that preceded it.

Deserving of its own thread I think.

Disaster waiting to happen or master stroke? They say he has motivation skills, maybe he does on impressionable players but established premier league players? Will they react well to his special brand of management?

The circus currently surrounding him could actually deflect a bit of pressure away from his team as well and may help them.

I actually hope the appointment backfires spectacularly , not least because it helps us but also because I think he is a totally objectionable character with repugnant views.

I also think he deserves payback for his comments against us after we did his team in the cup earlier this season so I hope we hammer them at VP.

His appointment could go either way , hence my question at the start. Here's hoping it fails miserably

Richard started this thread 2yrs ago and his post could have been made for Poyet, and it could be made today. Here's hoping that this appointment goes the same way as the 2 that preceded it.

it's great news for us. Think it guarantees their relegation. Nothing inspirational here, at all. All they needed to do was make a solid appointment and they'd still have a good chance of being ok. But now I'd back Burnley to jump them for survival.

"Sunderland have nine games to play but, of the last 10 clubs to sack their manager with 10 games or fewer to go, only two have seen an increase in their points won per game. And both of those were by a mere 0.1 points-per-game."

From this skysports page.

• Like 1

I read earlier (can't remember where so no link, sorry) that Ellis Short asked both SAF and Carlo Ancelotti for advice on who could come and firefight. Random?

The famous SAF recommendation.

domt believe it or Sunderland would have hired Big Eck

Â