Sunderland

Richard

Grayson's record suggested he'd be a steady eddie type for them and keep them mid table while they sorted out the club ownership.

Given that's looking beyond him and they might have to sack him it does beg the question who'd be mad enough to take that job in their present state.

Comes to something when the SHA job is a more attractive proposition to anyone outside the Midlands.

I would place no blame on Grayson. Previous managers ruined the club. He didnt sign crap like Gibson, O'Shea. Kone who are on big money but arent putting in effort or in the first 2 case not good enough for League 1

said it before, Lerner(amazingly) actually was a more sensible chairman than Short and while we sort of accepted relegation in final season Sunderland brought in 4 or 5 firefighters who all went and signed there own players then to be sacked 3 or 4 months later

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would place no blame on Grayson. Previous managers ruined the club. He didnt sign crap like Gibson, O'Shea. Kone who are on big money but arent putting in effort or in the first 2 case not good enough for League 1

said it before, Lerner(amazingly) actually was a more sensible chairman than Short and while we sort of accepted relegation in final season Sunderland brought in 4 or 5 firefighters who all went and signed there own players then to be sacked 3 or 4 months later

Yes, they should have just accepted it was the end, shut up shop and took their medicine. Instead they spent about 15m on Oviedo, Gibson, Mcnair and some other donkey. No doubt all on 40k.

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes, they should have just accepted it was the end, shut up shop and took their medicine. Instead they spent about 15m on Oviedo, Gibson, Mcnair and some other donkey. No doubt all on 40k.

Yes I really thats why Garde was not backed with a signing as we accepted relegation and the plan was to spend more for a promotion push. if we had spent a lot that january our budget would probably have been smaller for last summer.

Grayson reminds me of Garde, but he was silly to leave Preston as Sunderland were a masisve mess and he was doing well at Preston. Bad mistake for Grayson. Expect him to be made the fall guy and sacked in the next 5-6 games if things dont get better 

We dodged a bullet with Moyes thank god 

Grayson has probably committed career suicide with that move, and I do feel for him. They are in an awful mess and makes me appreciate that we appear to be on the way back up. 

But he was mad to take it, he had a positive thing going at PNE and the signings he made there before he left are doing really well at the moment.

I don't think we ever hit that low a level (thankfully!) but they are in serious trouble on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

I think his long term career will be OK given that everyone within the footballing world will know the mess he has inherited.

I also think in a way he was right to take the job.  Firstly he will no doubt be on a far bigger wage than he was on at Preston.  People can dismiss that as an incentive all they want, but it pays the bills.  The payoff after any failure will also be huge.  So in the event of any failure he'll get loads of money and he's on loads of money at the moment.

But if (massive if) he was to somehow get it right,  then the ceiling for a club of Sunderland's size far exceeds that of Preston.  Although the size does come with its own suffocating pressure too (sound familiar?).

So if he does badly, cha-ching and on you go to the next job (which you will get due to the aforementioned shitheap at SoL).
If he does well then he's at the helm of one of the biggest and most fervently supported clubs in the country.

Win-win.

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Until the owner goes they are in trouble. Utterly clueless. Its a shame as they are a big club who always travel in numbers. 

Not so much this season. in the prem they mostly took the smallest allocation possible. 400 to Everton last week, 700 to Ipswich last night(bugger of a journey I know) few other low turn outs too. Not a patch on our support last season and so far this season. 

Teams like Burton and Barnsley know what they have to scrap and stay up. Burton are always good for nicking draws which keeps the points tally ticking over.

SHA will certainly improve imo if they appoint Karanka, they have some good players in their squad.

I don't see the same with Sunderland, who's going to score 15-20 goals for them for a start?

Â