black sabbath!

Rugeley Villa

I'm tempted to say yes, but no. I do **** love them though, and I'm not that really into Metal (in the conventional sense anyway).

They are the probably one of the most influential bands of all time though. Ask any band who play heavy / loud rock music, and they'll tell you Sabbath are an influence.

I know someone who always always tells me that with Dio they were better than with Osbourne, is that really true.

Listened to a lot of Sabbath, but like Osbourne Sabbath an awful lot more.

I know someone who always always tells me that with Dio they were better than with Osbourne, is that really true.

If you prefer Ozzy Sabbath then for you it's not true, that's all that matters.

I love em. Paranoid is one of the best albums ever recorded. Best band ever though? Not in my opinion, but I'd never look down on anyone who thought that. You can see why.

I'm not really into metal either. But then, they're not really a metal band by normal standards.

That's only really because the definition of what is "metal" has changed over the years though.  I think the stuff Sabbath were doing in the early 70s and the first four Led Zep albums were really where the genre started. 

Sabbath are certainly one of the greatest bands ever.

Technically Dio is a much better singer, but early Ozzy era Sabbath were the seminal outfit.

Fine if you like bludgeoning riffs, I like a bit more subtlety. I have their first four albums, mainly because I feel I should. Very rarely play them, though.

They always struck me as being a cartoon band - all meat and no potatoes. And the whole satanic thing was just laughable.

For the Big Four metal bands of "my" era, I always felt: Led Zeppelin >>> Deep Purple >>> Black Sabbath >>> Uriah Heep.

No interest whatsoever in what came later (NWOBHM, Metallica, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

I myself is not really into metal but I think along with led zep they ruled over the rest of the rock bands, you can't really put black sabbath into a genre because they are a genre on their own, I only like the band with ozzy, after ozzy left it wernt really black sabbath, those first 6 albums kick ass and to the person who said sabbath wernt a serious band and were a comedy act that's so untrue,they sang about shit what was goin wrong with the world wether it be drugs war etc etc and their songs were about reality and not about rainbows kings and castle's which is cool if your into that but I liked my music with a bit of harsh reality of life, their satanic image was more hyped up by the media and fans more so by the band infact the band got fed up of it pretty quick, I can definately understand why a lot of people don't like them because its not your normal music but what a band, villa fans aswel which is even better

• Like 1

Not comedy. Cartoon. It's all a bit "14-year-old boys playing Warhammer" for me.

I'm reminded of the truly horrifying time a former flatmate got me to listen to Turisas.

They are certainly the greatest band ever to come out of Aston. 

http://youtu.be/kz_6jagv_D4

I'd say best band to come out of the Midlands.

(Because I score Zeppelin as even between Page & Bonham, but Jones is waaay ahead of Plant; thus the Midlands is less than half of Zeppelin and since Zeppelin is less than twice as good as Sabbath...)

That is very interesting Leviramsey; I thought I was the only person to think that Plant was the luckiest person alive to be in a band with such great musicians as Bonham and Page.

Judging vocalists is very subjective I realise;  for instance, it is easy to say that Steve Gadd is a better drummer than, say, Alan White(Oasis) or whoever is putting up that shed on U2 records, but who would be a better Rock vocalist than Plant and there's quite a long list !  (possibly starting with Paul Rogers or David Coverdale).

• Like 1

Â