black sabbath!

Rugeley Villa

I disagree mooney. Don't get me wrong compared to zep they were a bit one dimentional but zep were extremely diverse to the point where you just never knew what they were capable of next. Sabbath had a lot of influences, iommi butler and ward were into all kinds of music including classical. Their are small elements of classical music in sabbaths songs. Their was also a lot of light and shade with sabbath, it wernt all bang bang bang. I think zep are a tad boring compared to sabbath and sabbath lyrics were more meaningful. As everyone knows you only have to look at zeps first 3 albums and their are rip offs all over them. Take since I've been loving you, that was a blatant rip off from a moby grape tune. Sabbath from the off started something new and with each album built on their sound and developed it. Don't get me wrong they did lend one or two ideas. Communication breakdown= paranoid, sunshine of your love= nib. Overall sabbath were diverse for the kind of music they played and took risks. I love zep myself but I really don't think they can say they were above sabbath. Sabbath were the underdogs, they were the bastard child of music at the time. But in a way its unfair to compare them as zep have propably got more in common with the stones. DAVe80 hand of doom is absolutely awesome. Everything about that song is just pure sabbath. Sabbath were years ahead of their time.

Great guitar band overall.

And the man still tours, albeit a little bit the worse for vodka. With Herman Rarebell and Francis Bucholz on board as well last year, it was a great mixed set of Scorpions, UFO and MSG.

If you like rock guitar playing, go and see Michael Schenker live. The man is a genius.

Yeah from what I've saw and heard he can play a few notes ha. For as good as your iommi's and page's of this world are I think a lot of guitarists don't get the recognition they deserve because they maybe don't have the discography to back them up like some have. I'm not a guitarist so I see things different to say someone who plays guitar. A guitarist can hear and spot things I would not. Ritchie blackmore for me was potentialy the greatest in my eyes. Absolute wizard

Zeppelin were basically loud blues rock with forays into folk (though as Jones started to take over the musical direction and they became a bit more prog, they started to find themselves... That's why I'll take Zep's last four albums (not counting Coda) over their first four).

Sabbath though took the loud blues rock, and replaced most of the blues with classical and jazz, without going prog. That makes them more musically interesting and inventive than Zeppelin, especially first four albums Zeppelin.

Of course, between Sabbath and half of Zeppelin, the West Midlands is probably the most influential conurbation on the American (and by extension the Anglophone) rock world.

I still prefer Dio to Ozzy.

Zeppelin were basically loud blues rock with forays into folk (though as Jones started to take over the musical direction and they became a bit more prog, they started to find themselves... That's why I'll take Zep's last four albums (not counting Coda) over their first four).

Sabbath though took the loud blues rock, and replaced most of the blues with classical and jazz, without going prog. That makes them more musically interesting and inventive than Zeppelin, especially first four albums Zeppelin.

Of course, between Sabbath and half of Zeppelin, the West Midlands is probably the most influential conurbation on the American (and by extension the Anglophone) rock world.

I still prefer Dio to Ozzy.

I could not of said it better. Although I'm not at all keen on zeps last album and presence is only saved by the epic achilles last stand and the heavy nobodys fault but mine. Coda was just a bunch of songs that never made the albums wernt it and was pretty lame. Graffiti was zeps best album imo. I think sabbath just edge them on albums if I'm honest. Your bang on about the classical and jazz remark. One trait I loved from sabbath was the tempo changes they used to do.

My favorite LZ albums are LZ 2 and Houses of the Holy, closely followed by In Through the Out Door. Diversity, y'see. 

Don't have a favorite Sabbaff album, although I own the first four. 

Houses is a very patchy album and I just don't get in through the out door but yeah zep are very diverse. If I had to pick an album from sabbath which I think you would like the most mooney it would be sabbath bloody sabbath although its obvious you aint a massive fan

The title track starts off with one of iommi's best riffs but then breaks into acoustic on a couple of occasions. Who are you is proggy and as you said spiral architect. Fluff is a really nice instrumental. The rest are guitar driven but not in the same way their first 4 albums were. Its quite diverse for sabbath. Very melodic in a way. A lot of different instrtuments were used including bag pipes on looking for today. As a piece of music its probably their best album.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That's so cool Dom. Black sabbath are a band I hold very close to my heart and I feel very blessed to have connected to their music in the way I did. such a great band. 

Yeah, I can remember getting connected.

I went on a caravan holiday with my brother and his mates when I was a wee lad and one of the guys had some cheap ghetto-blaster from Dixons and he used to play the Paranoid album in the dark when they got back from the pub. In between the sound of the farts and the rain on the roof, I imagined the battle fields of War Pigs.

It was my metal epiphany. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That's so cool Dom. Black sabbath are a band I hold very close to my heart and I feel very blessed to have connected to their music in the way I did. such a great band. 

Who gave you permission to return from the nether world of shrubbery masturbation???

• Like 1

I know there is one or two sabbath fans on here so what's their best album in your opinion and your top ten favourite songs? Best album for me is probably sabbath bloody sabbath and I shall have a think about my top ten favourite songs.

Â