Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Man Utd manager.

PompeyVillan

I'll be very surprised if United hire Mourinho.. it's not like they haven't won anything in years and they are desperate.

He is off to Chelsea I reckon, Chelsea don't care too much for their reputation (not to the extent of United) and that's why I think he will be at Chelsea.

I think it's a good appointment, in the sense that he understands the ethos of the club, United are a worldwide club but Ferguson ensured it kept it's roots, he has had a hand in who his successor will be.

He does understand the club and he understands Fergie. They're both Glasgow lads and I'm not saying he is a bad manager. He clearly is not a bad manager otherwise he wouldn't be odds on for the job. I also don't doubt for one second that Fergie will have been heavily involved in finding his successor. But we'll have to agree to disagree on whether Moyes is or is not good for United. I think at best he is a massive gamble that might work. As much as you might dismiss his CV, it is a fact that he is not yet a winner and until he wins, we can't know if he has it in him to become a regular champion. And at worst he could be a disaster for a club like United who demand annual success.

Define a winner BOF, if thats the case McLeish is a better bet for the job. Lets look at the job he's done, similar to Ferguson, he can rebuild a side if a player leaves unlike what we have been able to do.

I think Fergie handpicked his successor and for me its straight shootout between Jose and Moyes with Jose reputation probably reason he be held back from it

yeah they said earlier that jose's reputation would hit the share prices and have a financial impact which could help them lean towards moyes, id have thought that with jose being a global brand and moyes being relatively unknown (and never winning anything) it would have been the other way round

I wonder what Guardiola is thinking now... I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be regretting his decision at this moment.

Even though there is no way he'd known that Fergie would retire.. still must wish he was in the pole position to take the job.

I wonder what Guardiola is thinking now... I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be regretting his decision at this moment.

Even though there is no way he'd known that Fergie would retire.. still must wish he was in the pole position to take the job.

thought had crossed my mind that it was one of the reasons fergie decided to go now, he obviously beat city, might have thought he could in the next 1/2 years beat barca, he's then seen bayern this year and thought his last chance at the CL wasnt happening

yeah they said earlier that jose's reputation would hit the share prices and have a financial impact which could help them lean towards moyes, id have thought that with jose being a global brand and moyes being relatively unknown (and never winning anything) it would have been the other way round

It be jose win at all costs attitude that could put investors off. say what you want about Fergie but way he acted in Suarez/Evra incident was impeccable while Jose would have probably made it 100 times worst than it was

Define a winner BOF, if thats the case McLeish is a better bet for the job. Lets look at the job he's done, similar to Ferguson, he can rebuild a side if a player leaves unlike what we have been able to do.

Someone who consistently wins. That rules out one-offs like McLeish (which is a ridiculous suggestion anyway :)) and it rules out Moyes who never wins. This isn't a midtable club like Liverpool or Fulham. United need to be top every year so they need to bring in someone who has a history of knowing what it's like to be up there and who knows what it takes to motivate a team to be up there. Moyes can't know that because Moyes has never done that. As I say, he would be a gamble at best and a massive failure at worst.

Everton haven't a pot to piss in. And replacing Moyes is a hiding to nothing. Everton will have a job getting someone good in. And it won't be Lambert. I'm not even mildly concerned about that. Frankly he has more sense than to go there.

Moyes has this in the bag, there was a flood of money for him over the weekend, interestingly enough Roberto Martinez is odds on to become the next Everton manager!

Â