The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Total investment = Purchase price + needed investment

For a buyer the latter part is just as important as the first - and in that department Villa requires a fair bit, which might outweigh the drop in asking price

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Dave to expand a bit. He didnt write it off.  He converted SOME of it to equity giving himself more shares in the company, creating ,more shares that need buying once the company is sold.

That makes no difference when he's the only shareholder. It didn't add value to the company or mean it will cost more to buy.

He absolutely did write it off

• Like 1

However accountants view it he is asking what he is in order to get back as much, overall, as he can, whether he spent it on debt, players, or cups of tea. So of course what he spent on debt has a bearing on his asking price.

And because of the amount he's asking, we aren't bought.

Simple.

I repeat, he wants out, we want hIm out. There is a price at which that can happen, so drop to that price.

He keeps more money than we can dream of, and goes into the sunset.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

so he doesnt want some / most / all of his investment,  which includes debt he has converted to equity, recouped?

Who knows? You're guessing if you think he's raised the asking price by the exact same amount he's written off.

But issuing additional shares to himself to write off the debt makes no difference. Having "more shares" to buy makes no difference. It's like cutting a cake into 4 pieces, and then again into 8 pieces. It's still the same cake.

• Like 2

I think everyone's guessing and making presumptions. The closest we got to know what was going on with a sale was what Howard Hodgson told us, after the group he was involved with had their deal collapse. This page contains a recording of his interview with Jonny Gould on the subject, takeover talk begins at about ten minutes.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Thats the trouble Mike

Board have given up

Management have given up

Players have given up

Now it looks like the fans have given up,  so what's left at the club?

I dunno, I give up!

• Like 2

Here's a good point.

The petition/protest might not speed up the sale of the club, but maybe it'll force the club to be more open/transparent with the fans as to what's actually going on.

• Like 1

Prior warning this is not an attempt to defend Randy Lerner,

just trying to put a bit of balance back in.

I think fans are causing themselves too much frustration, with single dimensional complaint.

Randy Lerner as an entity is not the direct cause of this clubs demise maybe indirectly yes....The people he is employing are directly responsible.

Dare I say this, but we could end up with someone worse. There is no pre-requisite to say any new owner would do any better.

The sheer number of appointments does not mean he will eventually get it right......shit in - shit out....It just means he repeats the same mistakes over and over again.

The Blues are perfect examples.....Ken Wheldon > Kumars> Golds> Chinese......call that progress.

If he was employing the right people his absence would be a god send not an adverse condition, so that argument for me is a lame duck

He has made funds available whether its enough, that could be a separate debate versus how good we are at spotting and developing bargains like some of the other more successful clubs.We too have had our moments in the past doing it.

I think the only solution I can realistically see is him getting one decision right and appointing a Good Chairman.....Then hopefully his decisions in an operational sense will cease.

• Like 2

Yeah I think you've got the bones of a good point there TRO.  Again, acknowledging that you're not defending him, I do think it is he who has hired the bad people, or hired the people who hired the bad people.  Ultimately the buck stops with him, and another element to his absence would be that if he sees something happening that he doesn't like; albeit from afar; then he is duty-bound to step in and rectify it.  His level of investment may very well be another discusion, but his level of absenteeism is not, and I think that's where he has failed too.  It perhaps gives a more accurate insight into his real levels of interest, rather than the soundbites from Fox saying how much Randy still cares.  Actions speak louder than words and his actions have been few, far between and often ill-judged.

As for better the devil you know.  We're sinking without a trace now, and while that's still no guarantee that the next person will be any better, there does come a point where you try the other devil within reason.  After all, we jumped from he-who-shall-not-be-named to Lerner before it got this bad before.  Which is saying something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Dave to expand a bit. He didnt write it off.  He converted SOME of it to equity giving himself more shares in the company, creating ,more shares that need buying once the company is sold.

Be careful Richard, saying something like that on here will get you berated that you are stupid and know nothing about Accounting.  Lerner is a great Aston Villa custodian and wrote of the debt out of the goodness of his heart, or so I’ve been told when I brought it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Who knows? You're guessing if you think he's raised the asking price by the exact same amount he's written off.

But issuing additional shares to himself to write off the debt makes no difference. Having "more shares" to buy makes no difference. It's like cutting a cake into 4 pieces, and then again into 8 pieces. It's still the same cake.

You own a club that is worth 1 million and has 1 million worth of debt.  You pay off that 1 million of debt you are going to ask 2million for the club, as that's what it now should be worth in the simplest terms.  Looks more attractive to a new buyer that its debt free with all this fair play going on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

You own a club that is worth 1 million and has 1 million worth of debt.  You pay off that 1 million of debt you are going to ask 2million for the club, as that's what it now should be worth in the simplest terms.  Looks more attractive to a new buyer that its debt free with all this fair play going on.

He may well have raised the asking price.... or he may not have. It's complete guesswork. Unless I've missed something? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

He may well have raised the asking price.... or he may not have. It's complete guesswork. Unless I've missed something? 

I agree its a guess, but id like to think it’s an educated guess based on

1.  we haven’t found a buyer, suggesting he is asking too much and

2.  A man who is worth a billion quid doesn’t just throw 90 mill away like that. 

If people want to say he would do that as he said he is the custodian of our club, then look where he has left us now.  Sold all the family silver and bought magic beans in return.

Â