The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think 80% of you guys who want Lerner out are wishing for a Mansour, Abramovich to come in and spend 200 miilion on us the first season (if they could even). Its not gonna happen and even if Lerner does manage to sell, we are likely to get a consortium that buys us to make money and run as a business. Gone are the days Oil billionires buy clubs for a play thing. Unfortunately im a realist, an I realise Lerner is here for a long long time. If he reduces the price we will get the Venky's mates in.

To me he is doing the best he can with a club he don't really want any more, he's sorted the backroom staff which was overdue and started to know when a manger has failed quicker than the old days. In reality he is no worst than 75% of owners in the league, our biggest issue has been signing a manager who knows what is doing, an that can work wonders you know.

utter bollocks

• Like 2

I think 80% of you guys who want Lerner out are wishing for a Mansour, Abramovich to come in and spend 200 miilion on us the first season (if they could even). Its not gonna happen and even if Lerner does manage to sell, we are likely to get a consortium that buys us to make money and run as a business. Gone are the days Oil billionires buy clubs for a play thing. Unfortunately im a realist, an I realise Lerner is here for a long long time. If he reduces the price we will get the Venky's mates in.

To me he is doing the best he can with a club he don't really want any more, he's sorted the backroom staff which was overdue and started to know when a manger has failed quicker than the old days. In reality he is no worst than 75% of owners in the league, our biggest issue has been signing a manager who knows what is doing, an that can work wonders you know.

No point even arguing your points, as it starts with a made up story based on absolutely nothing.

• Like 3

utter bollocks

Other clubs aren't as critical of the owners. I can't name the 75% of owners. But for example, Jeremy Peace, Bill kenwright, Mike Ashley, Daniel Levy all have there issues but seem to do so much better than us. I think when I play the blame game with Lerner I can only balme him for his choice in backroom staff and previous managers. I mean if im being critical it would be that he let Faulkner take charge of our club, when we were way out of his league. If you read up about him, he really had no idea of football never mind running a club as big as AVFC. Oh, and we can't forget Lerner letting O'Neil hold the cheque book, that was one of the worst decisions ever made, maybe in our history.

utter bollocks

Other clubs aren't as critical of the owners. I can't name the 75% of owners. But for example, Jeremy Peace, Bill kenwright, Mike Ashley, Daniel Levy all have there issues but seem to do so much better than us. I think when I play the blame game with Lerner I can only balme him for his choice in backroom staff and previous managers. I mean if im being critical it would be that he let Faulkner take charge of our club, when we were way out of his league. If you read up about him, he really had no idea of football never mind running a club as big as AVFC. Oh, and we can't forget Lerner letting O'Neil hold the cheque book, that was one of the worst decisions ever made, maybe in our history.

Have you seen how much Newcatle hate Ashley??

I remember the day Mon went, I had an argument with a mate who was furious at him.....but I was saying there is only one reason he's gone, the money has dried up and Mon knows the owners finished with the Club.

So it was, and whilst the next owner could be hopeless or worse, they might not be.

Staying owned by Lerner simply means accepting a slow decline to nothing.

• Like 1

People running the club as a business would probably understand that allowing us to drop to the Championship through sustained mismanagement and lack of investment would probably be a really bad business decision.

I have massive relegation battle fatigue. I'm sick of false dawns. It's almost worth going down to get it over with and maybe play in a league where I'm not really struggling to enjoy it. At least if I was going to games or watching with mates I could make my own fun. Watching us throw away vital points through tactical disasters on a stream on my PC is pretty soul destroying.

Every manager says that when they get appointed, I'm sure Sherwood and Lambert talked about "projects" and stuff like that. Talk is cheap Randy and ultimately he is the reason were in this mess and we now have another new manager that has to do a great escape mission.

• Like 1

I'll be honest   It would be nice. I'd live to watch my club win things I really would and in this game it takes a huge wedge to do that. However what I'd love if winning things is not possible is for the club to want to win things to have some ambition on the pitch and to match that to the best of outr ability off the pitch .  Lerner isn't doing that and hasn't been for a few years now.

its actually what I wanted when Ellis was here for the club to move forward and show some ambition to recognise that we are in the football business and that means wanting to achieve. For years I argued that constantly wanting to remain still would eventually mean we went backwards. Ellis was unable to take us forward. I hoped a new owner would and for a couple of years it seemed he would but then I realised something. He is unable to . Unable because of a load of things really and yes money is one of them but it's not the be all and end all. Clubs that were miles behind us when he took over have shown that.  They've moved ahead of us.

so while I wanted Ellis out because he was incapable of moving us forward I now want Lerner out because he's even incapable of getting us to stay where we were.

I know we've had a difference of view in the past on Lerner, but that's broadly my view as well (particularly the bit in bold) and always has been.

I was OK with Randy Lerner while I felt he was trying to run things the right way to make the club the best it could be within the constraints and level of competition, but since he's essentially lost interest in it, I think he's basically been making the same type of mistakes and poor judgements Ellis did when he took over and ended up getting the club relegated - managerial changes, cost cutting, failing to have any stability or continuity and so on. It's different times and a different landscape, but there are many similarities in what's gone on over the past few years to the mid 80s

• Like 3

Takeover still in the cards?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11971191/Aston-Villa-holds-talks-with-Swiss-investor-over-sale-of-club.html

Aston Villa holds talks with Swiss investor over sale of club

A Geneva-based fund, named IM 1872, was close to agreeing a takeover with Randy Lerner, ASton Villa’s American owner, over the summer

I cannot see any mention of it here but according to an article in the Times this evening, Lerner has had a pop at Sherwood. If the interpretation is true correct obviously things must have been pretty bad. It's unheard of for Lerner to hang his dirty washing on the line.

Tim Sherwood blasted as Remi Garde arrives

Randy Lerner levelled a thinly veiled dig at Tim Sherwood last night after the Aston Villa owner appointed Rémi Garde as manager on a three-and-a-half-year contract thought to be worth £2 million a season.

Sherwood was understood to have been unhappy at some of the 13 signings made by the club’s transfer committee in the summer. He was thought to have wanted more proven top-flight players after the loss of Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph, who joined Liverpool and Manchester City, respectively.

Lerner rejected that assessment and suggested that Sherwood was not capable of developing the players. “We recruited aggressively this past summer, and it is our responsibility to now harvest this talent rather than buckle under pressure and criticism — we are better than that,” he said. “Nobody at Villa can deny that we are way behind.”

Sherwood had discussions about potential targets to strengthen the squad and had the final say on a player presented to him by the club’s head of recruitment. He did not veto any player, as he was entitled to do, although it was clear that he wanted Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend, the wingers, from Tottenham Hotspur, and Esteban Cambiasso, the midfielder, who had left Leicester City.

Lerner said Garde, his sixth manager in just over five years, had already shown greater vision. “Rémi came with ideas, honesty, humour and a steely sense of what it will take for Aston Villa to be what it is meant to be — hard working, tireless, creative and unwilling to concede,” the owner said.

Garde, the former Arsenal defender, has no experience of managing in England and has been out of the game for more than a year. He achieved success on a tight budget at Lyons, leading the club to finish fourth, third and fifth between 2011 and 2014 in Ligue 1. He also won the French Cup in 2012 and reached the Europa League quarter-finals. He stepped down in June 2014, saying he needed a break.

Tom Fox, the Villa chief executive, said Garde related better to the club’s strategy than Sherwood. “Finding a manager who shares and believes in our vision, and has the ability to bring it to life through performances, is essential,” he said. “We are confident that Rémi is the manager who can deliver the best from the current squad and help set the club up for future success.”

Garde was Arsène Wenger’s first signing at Arsenal and received his backing to take the Villa job. The 49-year-old Frenchman was at White Hart Lane last night to watch his players. “Obviously we have a difficult task in front of us, but I’m looking forward to the challenge with the support of everyone who loves Aston Villa,” he said.

Â