The Randy Lerner thread

CI

We are bottom of the league and have sacked 2 managers in the last 6 months. I'm struggling to agree with the concept that Lerner is now doing things the right way. If this is the result of doing things the right way then we're truly ****.

We appointed a gamble of a manager, it didn't work out and he has been sacked, it happens, it doesn't mean the system is wrong. As for being 20th...well, that's a combination of the structure we are using and the manager we had, had we started this philosophy as a club sooner we wouldn't be in this situation now, granted, and it will have some teething problems, but again, it doesn't make it wrong. We would have had to start working this way eventually, and it would always have some initial problems, but we've started now.

And again I go back to...other than throwing money at us, what could a new owner offer us now moving forwards? I have no doubt Lerner is the man mainly responsible for our current situation, but unless we get someone mega rich (and they don't seem to be forthcoming), I am really struggling to see what would happen to suddenly improve us if he were to sell up tomorrow

Well we still don't know if the men he's put in place are the right people. A new owner may bring in better people to run the club. I still believe the main ambition is to just survive, a new owner who wants better will look for different ways to make that happen. I don't think a new owner immediately makes a difference but there's no way what we're currently experiencing is the absolute best an owner could do.

• Like 1

Why do you keep viewing the club you support as just an object to be owned? Do you not think an owner of a football club should have a responsibility to view it differently than just one of many assets? This is something with history and with a connection to a huge amount of people past, present and future. It's not the same as owning a house or a car or anything else. People don't tend to give up money but this isn't just an object. 

Of course he's vindictively owning us. Look at the state of us for the last 6 years? You think he's been trying to make us the best we could possibly be? 

I don't know why you care that people have started protesting. Why's it an issue? 

• Like 2

Why do you keep viewing the club you support as just an object to be owned? Do you not think an owner of a football club should have a responsibility to view it differently than just one of many assets? This is something with history and with a connection to a huge amount of people past, present and future. It's not the same as owning a house or a car or anything else. People don't tend to give up money but this isn't just an object. 

Of course he's vindictively owning us. Look at the state of us for the last 6 years? You think he's been trying to make us the best we could possibly be? 

I don't know why you care that people have started protesting. Why's it an issue? 

Responsibility? Since when?

The whole idea of single owners of football clubs is flawed, imo. The custodians of the club are always the fans/members. Unfortunately, with the amount of money in football, it is now just another asset to be owned. Don't believe me? Ask Abramovich. Ask the Vendys. Ask Vincent Tan. Ask Sheikh Mansour.

Randy bought us in the same vein as other owners, realised it's a massive money pit and wants out. I'm not sure that's "vindictive" when compared to some of the owners I listed.

You want to protest? Go ahead, be my guest. Randy already wants to go and, sadly,  the next "owner" is no guarantee of being any better.

Football is broken.

Beaten by Southampton reserves tonight who were in league one back in 2011

Just shows you have far we have regressed as a club under this clown thank you Randy

Not really.

Clearly we've fallen behind but Southampton have progressed massively in the last few years and also let's not forget that we played a weaker team under a caretaker manager in a cup we could probably do without.

Not trying to defend Lerner's running of the club because he's made so many mistakes but I just don't get posts like these. I mean, who gives a **** where Southampton were a few years ago? Put it this way, losing to someone like Newcastle would be a lot more embarrassing than losing to Southampton.

Edited by Mantis

Beaten by Southampton reserves tonight who were in league one back in 2011

Just shows you have far we have regressed as a club under this clown thank you Randy

Not really.

Clearly we've fallen behind but Southampton have progressed massively in the last few years and also let's not forget that we played a weaker team under a caretaker manager in a cup we could probably do without.

Not trying to defend Lerner's running of the club because he's made so many mistakes but I just don't get posts like these. I mean, who gives a **** where Southampton were a few years ago? Put it this way, losing to someone like Newcastle would be a lot more embarrassing than losing to Southampton.

Actually, I do... They were playing Crewe and Port Vale and we were fighting for European places five years ago... and now, due to mismanagement and penny pinching by our 'dear leader', the tables have completely flipped...

Southampton are an example of how to run a football club properly. 

Randy Lerner's AVFC is an example of how to run a football club badly. 

End of! 

I think you are conveniently forgetting what we were run like under our former owner.

Ozvillain 

Ellis did a lot of wrong things at Villa (breaking up a side that were Champions of Europe being the worst) but he also had to oversee the rebuilding of 3 sides of the stadium. He also gave large transfer funding to more than one manager and a long time before Lerner came here and without the amount of money that the clubs now get thrown at them from Sky. Although he left us near the bottom of the league, we never became a club like Wigan where season after season we got closer and closer to the trap door.

The inevitable will happen under Lerner and maybe then people will start to see him in a similar light to Ellis. 

The inevitable will happen under Lerner and maybe then people will start to see him in a similar light to Ellis. 

I wonder if the physios have to pay for their own cups of coffee. ;)

Edited by Davkaus

Â