The Randy Lerner thread

CI

That's convenient. You can post about something you disagree with because you had faith in the club but I have to organise a protest. Jesus you're struggling tonight. 

Haha and your comparison to spending 1/5 of wealth is just as bad. Slight difference between an ordinary guy and a billionaire inheritance. 

There's loads of reasons why I won't be organising a protest, but fair play to people who do and I'm glad there's more and more attention being made of it. If you think that makes my opinion less valid, then I couldn't give a shit. You've openly said you don't care what happens to us so your opinion on the owner means very little.

The first paragraph makes no sense. I didn't like Lambert, but I knew he would be removed from his job. You hate Lerner, but you think he'll just stick around. In the absence of protests, you aren't willing to organise one yourself. Instead you'll write what must be pushing thousands of posts full of angry words. 

So about those protests then!? There won't be any. It'll be cheap words. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I look forward to laughing at thousands more angry, cheap words over the forthcoming years then because he's going no where. They used to say we have the club we deserve with Ellis because of the apathy of our fans; that still holds true today. It's easier to claim you care and write angry criticism over and over again (x thousands) on a forum, when it comes to taking action, nothing will get done. So, enjoy - he'll be here for a long time :) 

It's pointless squabble over who is the worst.....both are bad for varying reasons.

Every manager has had their hands tied under both of them.

i understand that there never will be unlimited funds in order to sign the obvious choice players.....but equally, we don't seem to be able to get our first choice targets within the budget.

we never have in my view signed players to fit in to a system or template.....we sign players like you would gather material for a patchwork quilt.

There has never appeared to me to be any joined up writing between board and manager when it comes to player recruitment......there is simply too many crucial people at B6 who don't know enough and subsequently make too many poor decisions.

stan collymore moots that our team lack physicality.....I happen to agree with him......but don't these things get considered.....we are quite obviously lightweight physically and mentally as a squad with just one or two exceptions.

I believe the consistency of these poor decisions will eventually catch up with us and send us down....this very likely could be the year.

That post speaks volumes. You're smug about the team you support struggling so you can criticise and wind up anonymous people on an internet forum. 

You've openly said you don't care what happens to the club, so your opinion on the owner or how its run doesn't really mean much. 

Morley and Jonah, you are both right, in a way. Jonah is right about protests being needed to try to put some heat on Lerner and Morley is right because there are far too many people, me being one of them, who just don't have the time or resources to make it happen.

The fact remains that Lerner's stewardship is guiding us on a downward spiral to nothingness. Even if we do stay in the Premier League season after season, we are not going to challenge for anything. The odd cup final may come along but as long as we come up against any team that's half decent, we won't be winning. Relegation might bring about some more wins and even promotion, which would obviously, at that point, be classed as a success. But, for a club such as ours, it simply isn't good enough.

If, as Tom Fox says, Lerner is "not a motivated seller" and is "having fun" these really are worrying times for our club. How can anyone claiming to be a Villa fan be "having fun" right now? Even if that quote came at the beginning of the season, it was hardly fun times! OK, so we had the excitement of seeing a squad being rebuilt but, we arguably lost the best players that we had, in the summer. The newcomers were always going to be a gamble and the biggest part of that was how long they would take to adjust to what is supposed to be the hardest league in the world. Even then, it was no guarantee they would have the necessary quality to compete at our level. That's not me writing them off already. I'm merely stating that they were young, foreign and new to our league, so it was a gamble, especially with the quantity that we brought in. Also, we were wanting four or five of them to go straight into the starting line-up!

People say that protesting against a man who is looking for a buyer is a waste of time. That may be true! But, we have to remember that he is not investing any of his family's money into the club and just ticking over on the small profits that we apparently make. The likes of Wigan have shown this to be a suicidal way of doing business in the past and our name and heritage alone will not protect us from becoming another fallen giant of the game. For me, unless there is pressure applied to him, Lerner is going to sink this ship and it might be this season that he manages to do it. He may not turn up to watch the team play any more but, others do. I am not saying that people should use insults against him personally but, if his judgement and overall leadership is questioned severely, and his family name is shamed, possibly by the negative comments being fed back to the states and maybe making back-page headlines in some of their newspapers, maybe that could lead to pressure being placed on him by other family members and him selling up quicker.

Let's face it, Lerner CAN sell Aston Villa FC - it just needs to be at a price that someone is willing to pay!

That post speaks volumes. You're smug about the team you support struggling so you can criticise and wind up anonymous people on an internet forum. 

You've openly said you don't care what happens to the club, so your opinion on the owner or how its run doesn't really mean much. 

if you are referring to my post....it doesn't make sense;)

• Like 2

Apathy, I and others have stated it as the big issue for years now.

I admit to being apathetic, to the extent where I can honestly say that I haven't even seen highlights of any of the last 7 or 8 games, in all honesty my issue isn't solely related to Villa as the fact is I'm slowly falling out of love with football and Villa is as much a casualty of that as it is the trigger.

I don't know what the solution is and I suspect that neither does anyone else either inside or outside of the club.

In all seriousness, as others have said before, getting relegated might genuinely stir things up for the better in the long run.

• Like 2

Relegation is inevitable in my opinion.

We're a joke of a club not taken seriously at any level.

Even our own captain (at the time) - for his own reasons explained in his own thread - shafted us and laughed as he did it. If you don't think this club's royally dead, you're kidding yourself. Relegation might wake us, we might end up like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest too.

The club has rotten itself through apathy, lack of direction, lack of foresight too it seems (did they think Benteke, Delph clauses wouldn't be leaked?!!).

We've replaced experienced Premier League quality players with unknowns - some have hit (Gana IMO is superb), some have missed way right (Veretout so far IMO)

I think there's now an acceptance from the owners we can never compete at the top end regardless of how much wedge they put in because they'll always be outbid by those up there, so we are now just slowly dying away.

But hey, I'll be there next year when we play Scunthorpe and Bristol City etc. Just gutted its happening right in front of my eyes and there's nothing it seems that's coming along to stop it.

• Like 1

But just remember......we took years of protest and a monumental dollop of patience to get rid of Ellis.

and look where we are.

even getting rid of RL......there are no guarantee's that a new owner would be any different.

some would say, it's a gamble worth taking, but it's still a gamble....it's not an automatic improvement.

as an example....milliband was not the answer, now look what they have got....that's what change sometimes does. I.e makes it worse.

Relegation is inevitable in my opinion.

We're a joke of a club not taken seriously at any level.

Even our own captain (at the time) - for his own reasons explained in his own thread - shafted us and laughed as he did it. If you don't think this club's royally dead, you're kidding yourself. Relegation might wake us, we might end up like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest too.

The club has rotten itself through apathy, lack of direction, lack of foresight too it seems (did they think Benteke, Delph clauses wouldn't be leaked?!!).

We've replaced experienced Premier League quality players with unknowns - some have hit (Gana IMO is superb), some have missed way right (Veretout so far IMO)

I think there's now an acceptance from the owners we can never compete at the top end regardless of how much wedge they put in because they'll always be outbid by those up there, so we are now just slowly dying away.

But hey, I'll be there next year when we play Scunthorpe and Bristol City etc. Just gutted its happening right in front of my eyes and there's nothing it seems that's coming along to stop it.

I don't disagree with everything there but just remember that Benteke himself was an "unknown" 3 years ago.

• Like 2

I don't know what the solution is and I suspect that neither does anyone else either inside or outside of the club.

Probably, the most apt statement that's been made on here of late.

Edited by TRO

Apathy, I and others have stated it as the big issue for years now.

I admit to being apathetic, to the extent where I can honestly say that I haven't even seen highlights of any of the last 7 or 8 games, in all honesty my issue isn't solely related to Villa as the fact is I'm slowly falling out of love with football and Villa is as much a casualty of that as it is the trigger.

In all seriousness, as others have said before, getting relegated might genuinely stir things up for the better in the long run.

I am so disillusioned by football but still hopelessly addicted, unfortunately there's enough money in foreign markets that even if the English crowds refused to watch and invest money into the game (I haven't actually paid to watch any football for years) it won't collapse any time soon. it's not a sport anymore, it's an entertainment vehicle, the concept of competition has been completely thrown out the window.

I think 80% of you guys who want Lerner out are wishing for a Mansour, Abramovich to come in and spend 200 miilion on us the first season (if they could even). Its not gonna happen and even if Lerner does manage to sell, we are likely to get a consortium that buys us to make money and run as a business. Gone are the days Oil billionires buy clubs for a play thing. Unfortunately im a realist, an I realise Lerner is here for a long long time. If he reduces the price we will get the Venky's mates in.

To me he is doing the best he can with a club he don't really want any more, he's sorted the backroom staff which was overdue and started to know when a manger has failed quicker than the old days. In reality he is no worst than 75% of owners in the league, our biggest issue has been signing a manager who knows what is doing, an that can work wonders you know.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

He's doing the best he can. So bottom of the league, sacking 2 managers in 8 months and points totals of 38, 41, 38, 38 in the last 4 years is the best he can do? I'd say then that his best is absolutely **** useless and damaging to the club. And like with Lambert and Sherwood I don't believe we couldn't do better with someone else running the club. 

• Like 2

Â