The Randy Lerner thread

CI

10 hours ago, PieFacE said:

At the end of the day,  the person who will feel villa getting relegated most is Randy Lerner.  I'm at that point where I really am not bothered.  If we go down,  I'll continue to go to villa Park.  If we stay up,  I'll continue to go to villa Park.  If I feel it's not financially worthwhile,  I'll stop going.  Unfortunately for Randy,  he doesn't have that option.  He's completely messed his investment up good and proper,  and there's nothing I can do about that.

It's one thing to buy a pig in a poke.  Its quite another to turn what you buy into a pig in a poke.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't really care if we do stay down . . . I'll be here whatever, but I'd rather see us win more than 1 in 5 home games. That matters more to me than anything else. I'd rather beat Rotherham than lose to Stoke, and if that makes me a bad fan then so be it. 

Would people rather Lerner had sold to the Paul Smith group who would have lumbered us with £75 million debt to buy us ? Plus he has been out of football for 8 years... im personally glad he didn't.

I feel he is genuine when he says he wants to sell to the right person, and one of the reasons we haven't been sold yet is because the bids haven't met his criteria. FFP really has f^}>€d  us over. Hopefully Platini's replacement will see sense. 

If the rumoured £150 million price tag is correct I think considering the infrastructure already in place plus the new TV  money is a fair price. if they can't afford that then I don't want them near us. Just check toffee web and see what they think of kenright. They've

rumouredly remortgaged Goodison as he is so skint. At least our debt is to Lerner 

Lerner has turned us into one of the worst teams I have ever had the misfortune of watching. Not only is this the worst villa team I can remember  (even worse than the last relegated team) it is also one of the worst premier league teams ever. That is quite an achievement 

• Like 1

To turn this team this bad, during the premier league era, really takes some doing. Easily the worst thing to happen to the club during my lifetime of supporting us. And I imagine we will suffer for quite a while yet. Even when he's gone I think we'll be suffering for quite some time.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

worse business man in history. turning a top 6 club into a bottom club within 10 years. useless sack of crap

Well he basically is a trust fund baby isn't he? Hardly self made, he was born into an abundance of wealth and opportunity. Worst thing to happen to this football club. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well he basically is a trust fund baby isn't he? Hardly self made, he was born into an abundance of wealth and opportunity. Worst thing to happen to this football club. 

Hasn't he pissed most of it away too? Can;t find a recent source but after his failed sports ventures and his divorce, I heard he's a good few hundred million down on what his dad left him. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I don't really care if we do stay down . . . I'll be here whatever, but I'd rather see us win more than 1 in 5 home games. That matters more to me than anything else. I'd rather beat Rotherham than lose to Stoke, and if that makes me a bad fan then so be it. 

You're not alone there. Nothing is certain but there's a chance that we could do a Newcastle and that could do the club the world of good - for too long all we have known is losing.

Lots of ifs of course but I'm at the stage where I'd take that risk over another season of almost certain Premier League misery.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

You're not alone there. Nothing is certain but there's a chance that we could do a Newcastle and that could do the club the world of good - for too long all we have known is losing.

Lots of ifs of course but I'm at the stage where I'd take that risk over another season of almost certain Premier League misery.

I have to say I would much rather we did not take that risk. I am sure Forest, Blackburn, Sheffield Weds, Ipswich, Sheffield United, Fulham, Wolves, Charlton, Bolton, Coventry, Wigan and Derby fans would with hindsight look at that risk in the same way. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

worse business man in history. turning a top 6 club into a bottom club within 10 years. useless sack of crap

He still has a bit of a way to go given the person he bought our club from and that has the Witton Lane Stand named after him managed to turn the European Champions into a relegated club in 5 seasons but he is currently in danger of running him a close second!  ;) 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, John said:

I have to say I would much rather we did not take that risk. I am sure Forest, Blackburn, Sheffield Weds, Ipswich, Sheffield United, Fulham, Wolves, Charlton, Bolton, Coventry, Wigan and Derby fans would with hindsight look at that risk in the same way. 

He still has a bit of a way to go given the person he bought our club from and that has the Witton Lane Stand named after him managed to turn the European Champions into a relegated club in 5 seasons but he is currently in danger of running him a close second!  ;) 

It's not up to us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

I'd say he's much worse if we're relegated this year.

Relegation under Doug didn't cause major long term damage. We came straight back up and finished runners up twice over the next 5 years. 

Under Lerner there's no chance of coming back and getting regular top half finishes, let alone near the top of the table.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd say he's much worse if we're relegated this year.

Relegation under Doug didn't cause major long term damage. We came straight back up and finished runners up twice over the next 5 years. 

Under Lerner there's no chance of coming back and getting regular top half finishes, let alone near the top of the table.

I think we can thank GT and Big Ron for that rather than Deadly. Deadly also took us down more than once. But that is now history and Randy still has time on his side to challenge Deadly's sorry record.

I would also add that it was much easier back then to get into the top half and even the top two because money had yet to create the gap between the mega rich clubs and the rest of the league that now exists.   

Â