The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Surely Manure are most like the Pats?

Manchester United are most like the NY Yankees.

I hate to say it but Chelsea are closer to the Patriots. (Didn't accomplish much for most of their history until recently)

I only have a casual interest in American football, what team would Villa be most like?

Very hard to make a comparison...maybe the Detroit Lions. Traditional team, industrial city, haven't won much in a long time...

what i cant comprehend is the money involved in this deal. $1bn! Randy bought villa, a historic and 'well placed' club for just over £50m or something if i remember and here he is selling a club that has little history or success for $1bn! This isnt meant to be a dig at the Browns or their fans but i just find the money involved in the NFL beyond belief. For $1bn you could probably buy any football club in the world you wanted whereas in the USA it doesnt get you anywhere near a competitive team let alone a championship team.

I think Randy may share my scepticism and realise alot more could be done with $1bn than just a club.

(again no offence to any Browns or NFL fans. I love American football but i just find the money side of it ridiculous)

I only have a casual interest in American football, what team would Villa be most like?

Very hard to make a comparison...maybe the Detroit Lions. Traditional team, industrial city, haven't won much in a long time...

I'd go with the Bears rather than the Lions.

Hell, the Lions were the worst team in NFL history 3 years ago. Villa has never been a punching bag.

what i cant comprehend is the money involved in this deal. $1bn! Randy bought villa, a historic and 'well placed' club for just over £50m or something if i remember and here he is selling a club that has little history or success for $1bn! This isnt meant to be a dig at the Browns or their fans but i just find the money involved in the NFL beyond belief. For $1bn you could probably buy any football club in the world you wanted whereas in the USA it doesnt get you anywhere near a competitive team let alone a championship team.

I think Randy may share my scepticism and realise alot more could be done with $1bn than just a club.

(again no offence to any Browns or NFL fans. I love American football but i just find the money side of it ridiculous)

The TV and merchandise revenue is off the charts...plus, much of the revenue is pooled, so even though the Cowboys might sell 100 times more team gear nationally, the Browns get a % of Cowboys gear sales, and Giants gear sales, etc. Combine that with no threat of relegation and a relatively new stadium, it's a sure thing from a buyers perspective, and probably why the club sold for that much money.

Manchester United are most like the NY Yankees.

Yankees are a baseball team..

I know.

Thought we were just comparing to American Football teams ;)

Got it. Yeah, the similarities between the Yankees and Man U are many. The Yankees "NY" cap is known and worn around the world, and the Man U jersey is as well. In fact, the two clubs have a merchandise agreement whereby each club gets to sell their gear in each other's team shop. Each club probably has the most fans who aren't from Manchester and greater NYC...tons of trophies as well, obviously. And well hated by multitudes!

Being a life-long Browns fan and a convert to Villa, I can add a little perspective to the common perception of Randy over here. First off you have to understand the history of our team: I'm 45 years old, and have not seen my favorite team, whom I've loved since I was a boy, win a championship. In the 80's we had wonderful teams that found absolutely heart breaking ways to lose in the biggest games. Google 'The Drive', 'The Fumble' or 'Red Right 88' to get a feel for what we as fans have endured.

You also have to understand that, unlike European football, the NFL has no other measure of success than a Super Bowl win. There are no FA or Carling cups, no reveling in a top 4 finish, or being happy with finishing top 10. Certainly one can be happy about a playoff appearance, but eventually success means winning it all. David Moyes, for instance, with a comparable success rate in the NFL, would have been out of a job years ago.

It is also vital that you understand the trauma that Browns fans experienced when the team was moved to Baltimore, despite excellent fan support. The Browns, to this point, were considered a cornerstone franchise in the NFL...the teams from the 50's into the 60's were some of the best the league had ever seen. Some of the greatest players in the history of the sport played in Cleveland, and the coach who basically invented the modern game of American football was Paul Brown, for whom the team was named. We had one of the proudest histories, had for the most part great success on the field, and had some of the best fan support in the league. And we still lost our team.

Try to imagine how you'd react if the same thing happened with Villa.

You have to remember, then, that the Lerner family had some involvement with that traumatic event. Even though they did bring our team back, some of us never forgot that Randy's dad was also somewhat complicit with the team moving in the first place. It's like the getaway driver who helped the thieves rob your house showing up later with a new flat screen TV and dining room suite. When Randy took over after his dad's death, it was apparent he was not comfortable in the spotlight, and I think this helped fuel the perception that he wasn't really passionate about owning the Browns. Probably a stronger owner was needed at that point to help soothe an increasingly bitter fanbase still stinging from the previous owner's betrayal, and the Lerner's just didn't seem to be that type. Add in a decade of incompetence and losing, and you might be able to understand some of Browns fans' vitriol. I'm not saying it's right, just understandable.

I believe Randy and his family are good people. Their charitable work in Cleveland is legend, particularly in the area of cancer research at the Cleveland Clinic. I wish that people valued that more than they did the performance of a sporting club, but we all know that's not always the case. (In England as well as over here, I think) I think it's good that Randy is selling the Browns and I do believe that his heart has always been more with Villa, which is fine...but I think you can understand why we'd want someone fully invested in the success of our team first.

I've seen some comments about stupid remarks made on Browns fansites, for which I apologize...but let's be honest...it's not as if everyone on the Villatalk message boards are Mensa candidates, right? Most Americans still are not that into 'soccer' (although it's getting better), and we tend to be arrogant about the things we like. Also, the websites you've been visiting are terrible...try 'TheOBR' if you'd like to see the best of Browns' fansites.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. Hope this goes some way to convincing Villa supporters that not all Browns fans are drooling trogs with torches and pitchforks looking to burn down the Lerner castle. Some, maybe...but not all.

Villa are most like the Chicago Bears.

Storied history. Very succeessful at the birth of the league. Renaissance in the 80's where they won it all briefly. Then won nothing since.

Â