The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I would think so. As I said before, the Lerners have been enormously generous to the city of Cleveland, and despite Al's role in facilitating the move to Baltimore, he's also the guy that brought football back.

I really wanted some sort of connection between the two groups of supporters as well, but unfortunately I don't think Cleveland is one of the hotbeds of burgeoning 'soccer' support in America. I've been living in the South for some 20 years now, and got involved with the sport through my kids. I'm not sure how active youth soccer is back in Ohio, as we were all mad for (American) football growing up and Ohio is still one of the major talent beds for the American version.

It would have been interesting to have had the Columbus Crew on Villa's US tour, as they play only 2 hours away from Cleveland. Might've been an opportunity to build some bridges.

Anyway, I know I'm with the Villa for the long haul. They're my club, thick or thin, and always will be.

(I have told the wife that one day we will be taking a trip to Birmingham to see a Villa game, so we'll see...)

I think we did play Columbus Crew a couple of seasons ago didn't we in our last tour?

That's fair enough re the Browns fans not really wanting to link up in that sorta way, you can't force Football onto anyone. I have been interested in American Football for a little while, just don't really understand it. Haha. (and by interested I mean I have watched a couple of Superbowl's and the games that are played in London- all whilst wondering what the actual **** is going on)

I don't understand why Al was so instrumental in the move from Cleveland to Baltimore - surely that was more Modell at the time? It's funny how then after all of that Al Lerner then went ahead and brought the Browns of the NFL for a record amount? Do you recon he influenced Modell somehow to move on so he could create a 'New Browns' but it didn't really pay off as they have struggled to win?

I would think so. As I said before, the Lerners have been enormously generous to the city of Cleveland, and despite Al's role in facilitating the move to Baltimore, he's also the guy that brought football back.

I really wanted some sort of connection between the two groups of supporters as well, but unfortunately I don't think Cleveland is one of the hotbeds of burgeoning 'soccer' support in America. I've been living in the South for some 20 years now, and got involved with the sport through my kids. I'm not sure how active youth soccer is back in Ohio, as we were all mad for (American) football growing up and Ohio is still one of the major talent beds for the American version.

It would have been interesting to have had the Columbus Crew on Villa's US tour, as they play only 2 hours away from Cleveland. Might've been an opportunity to build some bridges.

Anyway, I know I'm with the Villa for the long haul. They're my club, thick or thin, and always will be.

(I have told the wife that one day we will be taking a trip to Birmingham to see a Villa game, so we'll see...)

I think we did play Columbus Crew a couple of seasons ago didn't we in our last tour?

That's fair enough re the Browns fans not really wanting to link up in that sorta way, you can't force Football onto anyone. I have been interested in American Football for a little while, just don't really understand it. Haha. (and by interested I mean I have watched a couple of Superbowl's and the games that are played in London- all whilst wondering what the actual **** is going on)

I don't understand why Al was so instrumental in the move from Cleveland to Baltimore - surely that was more Modell at the time? It's funny how then after all of that Al Lerner then went ahead and brought the Browns of the NFL for a record amount? Do you recon he influenced Modell somehow to move on so he could create a 'New Browns' but it didn't really pay off as they have struggled to win?

I don't recall Villa playing the Crew recently, but I may have missed it...when was Villa's last US tour?

As to Lerner's involvement in the move, he was a minority partner with Modell at the time and the deal to relocate to Baltimore was actually struck on Lerner's private jet. Did he do it with the forethought of stepping in as the new owner? I don't think anyone could know, but it seems logical. Keep in mind, though , that there were several potential ownership groups bidding for the Browns, so there was always the possibility of Lerner not getting the team.

It's hard to imagine it given the struggles of the team the last 13 years, and the drop from relevance (under Randy's watch, one has to say), but the Browns remain a very valuable property. Deep down the league wants a winner in Cleveland to renew the storied Steelers/Browns rivalry (although Baltimore has certainly supplanted Cleveland in this), and awake the sleeping giant. Plus, the continued fan support, despite over a decade of futility has demonstrated that we're not going away. (It's a sickness, I know).

I think the new owner, having been a minority investor in the Steelers, has a strong sense of the potential value of a winning team in Cleveland.

What's happaned at Malaga I havnt been following their situation?

I second this.. What happened at Malaga?

In a nutshell the Arab owners now want out and players haven't been paid for 3 months. Every player is up for sale and the club could go in to administration. All this after spending millions and making champions league football.

I think Lerner would sell us if an offer came in however I dont think he is looking to sell.

Probably lazy journalism more than anything

I was told that Lerner is definitely looking to sell.....

I think Lerner would sell us if an offer came in however I dont think he is looking to sell.

Probably lazy journalism more than anything

I was told that Lerner is definitely looking to sell.....

It was in the sunday express yesterday that he wants to sell the villa after selling the browns for $1bn 0_o Any Arabs available ?

Tbh, in the NFL, if you have a bad team, it can be extremely hard to get better and contend.

But you don't get the pick of all the best young players in the draft?

Just so we are clear, the reported number so far is that the current buyer is providing $920 million. There are rumors of some more people buying off the other shares too.

So the Cleveland Browns (one of the worst teams in the NFL) are worth $920 million.

But Aston Villa (one of the better teams in the Premier League) are only worth £64 million.

I thought that the Premier League was just as big as the NFL?

Tbh, in the NFL, if you have a bad team, it can be extremely hard to get better and contend.

But you don't get the pick of all the best young players in the draft?

Well the problem here is you never know how exactly a player will make the transition from college to the NFL...the playing style of the two leagues is extremely different...you'll have some athletes who are world beaters in college and go on to do nothing in the NFL...very difficult. I would inform you to google the name 'Ryan Leaf' to understand that just because you have a top draft choice, it does not guarantee you anything.

NFL teams don't have as big of an expense than PL teams, because most of the players are coming straight from College (uni), thats why they are worth so much, because a lot of money stays within the team...Its a strange one no matter how bad an NFL team is, it can still be a cash Cow.

NFL teams don't have as big of an expense than PL teams, because most of the players are coming straight from College (uni), thats why they are worth so much, because a lot of money stays within the team...Its a strange one no matter how bad an NFL team is, it can still be a cash Cow.

It more has to do with the rigid salary cap and the revenue sharing than rookie contracts.

A certain percentage of the Cowboys, for instance, revenue goes into a general pot that is split at the end of the season. This helps smaller market teams like the Browns turn a profit.

They also are limited by a fairly hard salary cap on what they can spend every year on players. I think the Browns payroll was roughly half of the Villa payroll last season.

Then, of course, is the crazy popularity of the sport in the richest country in the world. The NFL brings in about $6 billion in television revenue a year, and that money is spread evenly to all 32 teams.

There is just a ton of money. I saw the Dallas Cowboys were appraised at $5 billion. It is insane.

I don't recall Villa playing the Crew recently, but I may have missed it...when was Villa's last US tour?

As to Lerner's involvement in the move, he was a minority partner with Modell at the time and the deal to relocate to Baltimore was actually struck on Lerner's private jet. Did he do it with the forethought of stepping in as the new owner? I don't think anyone could know, but it seems logical. Keep in mind, though , that there were several potential ownership groups bidding for the Browns, so there was always the possibility of Lerner not getting the team.

It's hard to imagine it given the struggles of the team the last 13 years, and the drop from relevance (under Randy's watch, one has to say), but the Browns remain a very valuable property. Deep down the league wants a winner in Cleveland to renew the storied Steelers/Browns rivalry (although Baltimore has certainly supplanted Cleveland in this), and awake the sleeping giant. Plus, the continued fan support, despite over a decade of futility has demonstrated that we're not going away. (It's a sickness, I know).

I think the new owner, having been a minority investor in the Steelers, has a strong sense of the potential value of a winning team in Cleveland.

So the browns did totally start up again when Al brought the team in 98? How did they recruit playing staff in that first season? Im just trying to understand I guess why I see some fans saying it has been 13 years since we have won anything (browns fans) but from the sounds of it you started as a brand new time only just before the turn of the new millennium and yet still be worth $1billion. Sure that still includes your history/achievements etc but... That's an incredible figure?

A link would have been awesome for the fans and would have wanted to go across to do that. How do you think the managers we sent over would have got on or if any of our players went over, what do you think the reaction would have been like?

• 3 weeks later...

This thread needs to be continually on page 1 not skulking and hiding away at the bottom of page 3 where RL can be spared any criticism (positive or negative).

Until such time as AVFC are playing consistently at the top of the PL and not flirting with relegation season upon season and utilising loads of kids and untested newbies with no PL experience then Randy Lerner (and Paul Faulkner for that matter) needs to be out in the open.

Â