The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I took 5 seperate people last year with me on a few occasions, none of who are football fans but wanted to come and experience the match with me as they know I'm a passionate ST holder. They all love to come soak up the atmosphere (not last season ????) take photos of the ground etc and go back to their cities they live in and tell their friends there about the experience etc.

The ground is important on this basis, imagine if we all took 5 friends along for the same reason from time to time, couldn't do this if it was a shithole and not a famous ground.

Also I believe your best to improve while crowds are lower as you don't have to turf out fans that you've tried to attract whilst you knock one end down.

Finally the way I look at it is that it's property and is worth money. For Randy to improve it would be like you or I spending 30k on a home extension, add a bedroom add value to the property. On this basis I see no reason why Randy shouldn't invest, he would just be investing some if his money in bricks and mortar where it would be relatively safe.

And none of this is to mention what they might do on the commercial side of things which they have grown so well in the trinity since doing that up.

Regarding the renovation of the ground whether that is the North Stand or possibly Witton Lane I think the potential is massive. Corporate facilities, museum and even a leisure centre/gym etc would all bring in huge revenue.

For instance Villa's corporate facilities are already widely regarded as being some of the best in the PL and we could capitalise that even further. The museum would be of interest to old and new fans plus the many visitors we have on stadium tours or who visit Villa Park for the first time. Personally I don't live in England anymore and people are always asking me about Villa and when I'm taking them to a match! Finally Gym and leisure centre memberships are through the roof and surely this would be a great investment; I think people would fall over themselves to have membership of an Aston Villa gym or leisure centre.

http://birmingham.myvillage.com/place/aston-villa-leisure-centre-birmingham/

Zhang, don't take your mates to many gigs then ay? first time i went to the aston villa leisure centre i was 13 i think. and that was a long time ago now :)

anyway, on stadium expansion, if we could get to 50k relatively easily we should. even just getting to the level of performance under MON would see it full more often than not, the extra revenue would help sustain that level too.

no brainer for me. it's not like we're gonna be int he situation where we have an 80k seater stadium and only a 20k average rowd is it? that's when you really kill the atmosphere. trust me, i've been in the san siro and the olimpico with smallish crwods and they feel very very empty indeed. no chance that 35k people in a 50k seater stadium woudl feel the same way.

any news on randy selling the browns?

I've followed the Browns' version of Kendrick, and it seems the following is the situation:

Randy will be selling 70% for $920 million, and the sale will go through in October. Pretty much a done deal seemingly.

that's good news! i'm not expecting a windfall for the villa, but it should mean he concentrates his energy more on us, and the more cash he has in teh bank the better :)

Anyone sure on the reason for selling?

It was his dad's team really, and the recession/divorce has seriously hurt his personal wealth.

If there was something you really did not care that much about you could sell for $950 million, would you?

In answer to your question Verb, no-one is sure. It's all just speculation and educated guessing and I doubt Randy and his team would ever confirm for sure anyway.

Anyone sure on the reason for selling?

It was his dad's team really, and the recession/divorce has seriously hurt his personal wealth.

If there was something you really did not care that much about you could sell for $950 million, would you?

For $950million I'd sell my left testicle, let alone something I wouldn't miss.

In answer to your question Verb, no-one is sure. It's all just speculation and educated guessing and I doubt Randy and his team would ever confirm for sure anyway.

Your net worth is a $1bn give or take a few hundred million.

You have two main assets: one valued at just under a billion (which you inherited and haven't necessarily shown a huge interest in), another valued at somewhere around $150-$200m (which you've shown at least some interest in)

$900m + $200m = $1.1bn ... most/all of your net worth is tied up in those two assets. You thus presumably do not have a large amount of cash or equivalents, especially on a net basis. You have the opportunity to sell an asset. You take it.

I do not think Randy Lerner has any interest in making Villa the new Chelsea or City, and I don't want to either, but it goes without saying that his money will lie a bit looser in his pocket after this. Could and should benefit us in the coming years, if he has an interest in keeping us for years to come.

I think the Club could do worse than ask people what would make them go again.

For me after years of being an STH and going to all Away games I currently can't afford it. I could go occassionally but would now want (now it is so hard to find the money) a decent Manager (tick) a refreshed Team (looks like it will be a tick)., attacking football (another probable tick) and to be able to stand, or at least stand at my seat, with others who will sing rather than chat, drink, or moan !

When I talk to mates they all seem to have the same wishes - the last one in particular.

Would love to be able to stand, its just a case of, if everyone stood the stewards can't do **** all, (like away games) at away games (as i'm sure everyone knows) we stand up the whole time. I remember Liverpool away this season, they asked us to sit down over the speakers, and we laughed it off, and basically stuck our middle finger up.

We stood up pretty much for the whole second half of the Bolton game and they didn't tell us to sit down. If people at the front stand up people are forced at the back to stand up.

I've followed the Browns' version of Kendrick, and it seems the following is the situation:

Randy will be selling 70% for $920 million, and the sale will go through in October. Pretty much a done deal seemingly.

Close enough, although recent reports are saying that it's more likely going to be done before the beginning of the NFL season. (Sept 9th)

So, is Randy good or bad this week?

Depends what he does with the money!!!! :lol:

Let's hope Randy is able to watch a few more games this season though? I like to think we have an interested owner (that's my personal choice)!

At the end of this season, let's look back at the number of times we filled VP to capacity, and therefore potentially lost revenue due to not being able to sell more seats. Then let's have a rough guess at how many extrea seats would be needed.

Then add up the revenue from those extra seats vs the cost of building a new North Stand or whatever. Then work out how long it would take the club to recoup the investment in the stand. Then, if you're a bit clueless about finance and return on investment etc, someone will explain the fact that it was probably a really pointless conversation.

I'm getting quick sick of reading all the dumb asses expecting Villa's rebuilding towards being a sustainable, profitable, and sensible business to be shoved to one side with the hope RL will plough hundreds of millions of dollars into the club. It's not going to happen. You're just setting yourself up for misery and disappointment and a season or more of moaning about "why has Randy got all that money and he's not spending it on our club". Comes across as somewhat ungrateful given he's put, what, £150-£200m in already? How much will make him a "good owner" exactly?

“The big point that people sometimes forget is that he inherited Cleveland – he bought Villa. Any rumours that he could be thinking about getting out or losing interest is nonsense.” - PF

Talking about the rumors that Learner is looking to sell Villa as well as the Browns.

Basically the exact point I made a couple days ago.

Rumours that Randy Lerner is losing his commitment to Aston Villa after deciding to sell Cleveland Browns have been described as 'nonsense' by chief executive Paul Faulkner.

Lerner has opted to sell the NFL franchise, prompting some speculation that he could follow the same path with Villa whom he bought six years ago.

But Faulkner is adamant that is not the case and Lerner has already spent nearly £10million on new signings for manager Paul Lambert this summer.

Faulkner told the Express and Star: "The Browns situation means absolutely nothing with regard to Aston Villa - neither good nor bad.

"The big point that people sometimes forget is that he inherited Cleveland Browns. He bought Aston Villa.

"Any rumours that Randy could be thinking about getting out or losing interest is nonsense."

Sky Sports News

Â