The Randy Lerner thread

CI

A bigger stadium should mean increased revenue. An increased revenue would see the wages to revenue gap decrease which should mean a larger wage budget, which in an ideal world would mean a better squad.

A bigger stadium should mean increased revenue. An increased revenue would see the wages to revenue gap decrease which should mean a larger wage budget, which in an ideal world would mean a better squad.

Why would it mean a bigger revenue?, if we can't fill our stadium now, then adding more seats won't help.

Why would it mean a bigger revenue?, if we can't fill our stadium now, then adding more seats won't help.

I said "should", we've no idea how many times we will fill the stadium this year now that AMc is gone.

This is the crux of the argument (as discussed on the previous page).

Fans are likely to turn up (or not) according to how excited they are at the prospect of going to a game. A bigger stadium would add to the excitement. How many empty seats we happened to have last season is almost irrelevant imo.

I really think this will happen now.

If the club is going to grow its revenue in the long term it will need to improve stadium capacity. As others have said when the subject came up, it's a bit "build it and they will come" with stadiums. People will likely feel more inclined to go to games if they feel the club is on the up, and enlarging the stadium would send a powerful message. Also the atmosphere would improve and hence the matchday experience.

A side effect would be that the club could attract better players as a result, and really the whole thing could potentially snowball in the right circumstances.

Chicken or egg?

I can't believe that developing the stadium before the team and results improve would attract bigger crowds and better players, it's the other way round.

1) Better players

2) Better results

3) Bigger crowds

4) Improve stadium

5) Go to (1)

Agreed. I can't imagine an expanded Villa Park filled to capacity last season. Quite the opposite actually. We'd have seen more empty seats, that's all.

Are some of you taking the piss or what?

Are you saying we shouldn't expand the stadium because we couldn't fill the stadium to watch Alex McLeish's **** awful turgid brand of football?

It was regularly filled when watching O'Neills team when there was some momentum going and feel good factor.

So its pretty straight forward as I see it, restore that feeling, add to it, and the fans will come.

Are you saying we shouldn't expand the stadium because we couldn't fill the stadium to watch Alex McLeish's **** awful turgid brand of football?

It was regularly filled when watching O'Neills team when there was some momentum going and feel good factor.

So its pretty straight forward as I see it, restore that feeling, add to it, and the fans will come.

I'm inclined to agree. Under O'Neill in 07/08 we averaged over 40k, in 08/09 39.5k and in 09/10 with two long cup runs to fork out for we still averaged just under 39k.

The above was done with what was relative success whilst finishing 6th but suggests that if we could say regularly finish in the top 4 we could average 45-50k and sell out a number of games with a 52k stadium.

We are a long,long way off from finishing regularly in the top 4!

Really?

Newcastle only just missed out last season after only just being promoted the previous year.

Just need the right people at the club, getting rid of Mcleish was a step in the right direction!

Fans are likely to turn up (or not) according to how excited they are at the prospect of going to a game. A bigger stadium would add to the excitement.
Although I agree there must be people who'd get excited enough by a bigger VP to start buying tickets, I'd say there's only about twelve of them. People go to VP to watch football, not gaze lovingly at the architecture.

How many empty seats we happened to have last season is almost irrelevant imo.

Madness.

We should be doing 'kids for a fiver' deals and such now, for this season and next season, and trying our hardest to fill the stadium. When we are filling it, generating an atmosphere that people will come back for, we can creep the prices up again.

It's tough. If you 75% fill the stadium at current prices, you will only bring in the same revenue as filling the stadium with 33% cheaper tickets. If the tickets were 33% cheaper, we would sell out every match. People often cannot justify paying the ticket price if they suspect the football will be a bit shit. A cheaper ticket though, and a redevelopment of the North Stand in a couple of years time could see us getting close to filling a 50,000+ seat stadium and justifying the investment.

The revenue then increases when the stadium size increases, and the prices can creep back up when we have a full house.

The Tick...Tick...Thursday deals, whilst being horribly named, are usually pretty good and they didnt do much for the stadium last season, yes I know McLeish would've been a factor, but even still the football is the main thing. Prices weren't too bad last season if you used the deals available to you.

Also, even though general tickets were still quite steep (without the deals), a lot of season ticket holders were not happy about the deals and prices and threatened to not continue their season ticket and just go for the deals each week.

Whilst cheaper tickets would be great they have no guarantee of selling out the stadium (although attendance and atmosphere would likely rise) and if attendances rise by 20% (6000-8000 people, still alot!) but prices fall by 33% Randy/Paul would be pinning their hopes on those 6-8k people clawing back the remaining 13% on extra beverages and snacks inside the stadium and there's 0 guarantee that that would happen, as generally speaking if the extra people turning up have waited for cheaper tickets they may also not want to spend the high food/drink prices inside the stadium (or wait in the queues).

So eventually we'd lose revenue and piss off current ST holders.

From an atmosphere point of view it would be great though, in theory.

OK, so say you drop all ticket prices by 20%, including season tickets, and drop all kids tickets/season tickets by 40% for next season.

I would put money on a lot of the people that failed to renew this year would definitely renew, and a lot of people would see it as an easier way to introduce their kids into regular visits.

While the Noses are in the shit, we should be capitalising on it. We need to make sure that undecided younger fans choose Villa over them and retain their loyalty. You can bet your last penny the Noses will be doing deals to get kids in this season as they have no chance of filling their stadium otherwise.

The factor people seem to be forgetting in this debate is that we aren't just limited to selling tickets to our own supporters.

There are plenty of teams that come to Villa Park each season to whom we could sell a lot more tickets if we had a larger capacity that we couldn't fill ourselves. Away fans money is just as good as ours, in fact it could be argued its better because they don't benefit from the deals.

We could and should have been increasing our revenue in this way and we'd have done this every season regardless of how we are performing.

Then as more investment goes into our team hopefully the side improves and the results improve resulting in us selling more tickets and reducing the away allocation.

Expanding the ground should have been one of the first things Randy did, if he could have his time and money over I honestly think he would right this wrong.

Away fans could have had pretty much as many tickets as they wanted for any game in the last two seasons - we didn't need to expand to do that.

I'd still love to see us do it though - it'd give Randy a mark that would always be left here, I think that's important.

No you are right but we couldn't do that because of segregation otherwise we could have had a hell of a lot more income last season.

If you look back to the year we averaged 40k at home for the season, with an increased capacity we could easily have pushed that toward 50k allowing for additional home ticket sales and an increased away allocation.

Fans are likely to turn up (or not) according to how excited they are at the prospect of going to a game. A bigger stadium would add to the excitement.
Although I agree there must be people who'd get excited enough by a bigger VP to start buying tickets, I'd say there's only about twelve of them. People go to VP to watch football, not gaze lovingly at the architecture.

How many empty seats we happened to have last season is almost irrelevant imo.

Madness.

Well seeing as we seem to be having a go at each other, I might as well say that you're insane to think that people go to a game JUST to watch football. You can watch football on tele without all the expense and hassle. It's about the EXPERIENCE, and watching football is not the sum total of that experience, unless you've got a very limited view on life in general.

If you can't see that the number of people turning up to watch Alex McLeish's Aston Villa does not represent the total number of people who might go to Villa Park when times are good, then there isn't much hope for you really.

Spot on.

Compared to Spurs, Liverpool and the rest we are also in the incredibly fortunate position of being able to raise our capacity to 50+ thousand for relatively little outlay. We have a huge long term advantage in that sense because those two clubs will have to raise and divert huge funds to expand.

There's an old expression in life - build it and they will come. There's far more to architecture than simply function. If Randy could build us a beautiful, red brick, stained-glassed, iconic Witton End to cap off Villa Park it would be a huge statement of where we are as a club. We all have pride in Villa and plenty of folk, I am sure, would want to visit the ground to experience it all. If the stand can incorporate a museum and the corporate facilities that the rest of the ground enjoys I am pretty sure it would make money for the club in the long term. For me, getting that end of the ground sorted is an absolute priority.

Â