The Randy Lerner thread

CI

VillaTalk posters - making the Internet more informative and interesting since 2003. You should post more often Cerberus.

Will do, thanks. I'll work on the brevity...see if I can't get the word count in my next post somewhere under that of a Joyce novel.

This situation is strange though, cuz when Lerner sells the Browns we will lose that connection with the fans from across the pond. From the sounds of what I have read in some of the forums (and by the sounds of what Cerberus has said, not the best ones) that wouldnt matter to the Browns fans anyway. I'm a little disappointed about it though.

I was hoping there might be a thing where Browns fans can come over here and watch a game, and likewise Villa fans head on over to Cleveland to take in an NFL game. That was my dream. Haha.

Cerberus when the deal to sell the Browns goes through will they still keep the street name in honour of Alfred Lerner do you recon?

This situation is strange though, cuz when Lerner sells the Browns we will lose that connection with the fans from across the pond. From the sounds of what I have read in some of the forums (and by the sounds of what Cerberus has said, not the best ones) that wouldnt matter to the Browns fans anyway. I'm a little disappointed about it though.

I was hoping there might be a thing where Browns fans can come over here and watch a game, and likewise Villa fans head on over to Cleveland to take in an NFL game. That was my dream. Haha.

Cerberus when the deal to sell the Browns goes through will they still keep the street name in honour of Alfred Lerner do you recon?

I would think so. As I said before, the Lerners have been enormously generous to the city of Cleveland, and despite Al's role in facilitating the move to Baltimore, he's also the guy that brought football back.

I really wanted some sort of connection between the two groups of supporters as well, but unfortunately I don't think Cleveland is one of the hotbeds of burgeoning 'soccer' support in America. I've been living in the South for some 20 years now, and got involved with the sport through my kids. I'm not sure how active youth soccer is back in Ohio, as we were all mad for (American) football growing up and Ohio is still one of the major talent beds for the American version.

It would have been interesting to have had the Columbus Crew on Villa's US tour, as they play only 2 hours away from Cleveland. Might've been an opportunity to build some bridges.

Anyway, I know I'm with the Villa for the long haul. They're my club, thick or thin, and always will be.

(I have told the wife that one day we will be taking a trip to Birmingham to see a Villa game, so we'll see...)

I'm not sure why Randy getting $1billion dollars for the Browns means he is selling up here at Villa Park.

I can see what is being said about the cost cutting, but, we have signed players this year (I know some have left) and our owner, who is apparently looking to sell, used his own private jet trying to secure a manager for us (the Gunnar saga)...

I'd have thought getting $1billion for the Browns would keep him interested here, he no longer has to worry about his own fortune, that's ok now. He can just get Villa to a point of running under it's own power.

This guy is adding two and two together and coming up with five and to give people the impression that he actually got out of bed to write this piece of useless, lazy journalism just so he could get paid he put in the old "reliable source" bullshit to give it some credence. Trash and should be treated as such.

There are 3 possibilities in this story

1. It's just a newspaper "sensational" story designed to flog more papers.

2. Bearing in mind the timing of it & the fact it's a London tabloid it could well be written or conceived by a West Ham fan intent on unsettling us as much as possible ahead of the season opener against them.

3. The story is correct & somebody connected that the reporter has links to (not uncommon with reporters obviously) has actually been told something & Lerner really is giving up on Sporting ventures altogether & looking for a buyer.

It's rubbish, why would he be sanctioning player purchases of we wanted to sell up.

It is not as if we have pushed the financial boat out with any of the signings this season?

I am not putting stock in one newspaper article, but neither would I bet my house that this would not happen.

It's rubbish, why would he be sanctioning player purchases of we wanted to sell up.

It is not as if we have pushed the financial boat out with any of the signings this season?

I am not putting stock in one newspaper article, but neither would I bet my house that this would not happen.

Neither would i put my house on it Macandally... The players purchased have merely replaced other players who were on higher wages.

Lowton - Cuellar

Vlaar - Collins

Guzan - simply resigned

Then we have strengthened Midfield with the Aussie & KEA but have released Heskey & most likely Makoun.

I think we have done well with all that i have to say but looking at it from Randy's viewpoint it's all necessary work but with the overall effect of lowering wages.

Could be read in different ways i guess but when you look at the last 3 seasons combined it could easily appear that the club was being prepared for a sale. Look at it this way.. we have hardly been building for a challenge for trophies now have we!

Lerner is like any other owner and will sell up if an offer comes in that he can't refuse. However, the same can be said for every owner in the league.

I personally don't think he'll be selling us in the near future and think this newspaper story was just lazy journalism.

If it's the same report as I read earlier then I lose confidence in it when they get incredibly simple facts like "finished in the bottom 6" wrong. Ok, it's not "wrong", but "finished in the bottom 5" is more accurate.

How hard is it to look at a league table? Such incompetence.

Â