The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But it is better. Our squad contains the likes of Given, Makoun, Clark, Petrov, Ireland, Bannan, Gardner, Delph, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor & Bent. I'm sorry but plenty of managers would love this sort of squad that Lerner has enabled us to put together. Yes we've lost some BIG players and the ambition is now pretty non-existent but this is massively accentuated by our shit manager, shit tactics and more often than not, shit style of play.

Everything about our club seems rotten and Lerner needs to act now to get McLeish out ASAP. A new manager, improved morale and performances would lead to better fan reactions and eventually increased revenue. A simplistic view but the majority of our problems stem from RL appointing McLeish.

But it is better. Our squad contains the likes of Given, Makoun, Clark, Petrov, Ireland, Bannan, Gardner, Delph, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor & Bent. I'm sorry but plenty of managers would love this sort of squad that Lerner has enabled us to put together. Yes we've lost some BIG players and the ambition is now pretty non-existent but this is massively accentuated by our shit manager, shit tactics and more often than not, shit style of play.

Everything about our club seems rotten and Lerner needs to act now to get McLeish out ASAP. A new manager, improved morale and performances would lead to better fan reactions and eventually increased revenue. A simplistic view but the majority of our problems stem from RL appointing McLeish.

I would agree for the most part. However, the majority, if not all, of our problems stem from Randy Lerner.

He is ultimately responsible for finances and appointments and everything else within AVFC and is therefore ultimately responsible and accountable for any success or failure at the club.

He took on this role and its level of responsibility and accountability when he bought all the shares and became the 'Sole' owner of the club.

The 'Buck' stops with him regardless.

Well, we're still better than when he took over so I wouldn't go that far.

In what universe are we better? Its the equivalent of having DOL as manager and ellis as owner, But McLeish as manager and Lerner as owner.. We basically have done a massive circle. and ended up no better.

DOL is/was a better manager than McLeish IMO. Just as Doug was a better owner, just not as rich.

It really is an amazing achievement by Randy Lerner.

In just 2 years he has managed to get fans talking about relegation and protests instead of trips to Wembley, the possibility of winning a trophy and who we are playing in Europe.

I have to hand it to him, I don't think even a Tory government could **** up so much in so short a space of time!

In just 2 years he has managed to get fans talking about relegation and protests instead of trips to Wembley, the possibility of winning a trophy and who we are playing in Europe.

I have to hand it to him, I don't think even a Tory government could **** up so much in so short a space of time!

So is getting us from relegation possibilites to challenging for the top 4 in just over a season.

Not going so well at the minute be shows things can change in a short amount of time if things are in the right place.

So is getting us from relegation possibilites to challenging for the top 4 in just over a season.

Not going so well at the minute be shows things can change in a short amount of time if things are in the right place.

It hasn't been 'going so well' since about August 2010. A bit longer than 'at the minute' I would think.

McLeish inherited a defence of Cuellar, Collins, Dunne & Warnock, who, until that Chelsea mauling had the best defensive record in the league.

MON inherited Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen & Samuel, who together took us to a Champions League QF. I mean 16th place,conceding more goals than relegated SHA.

But yes, it is a fair comparison.

Delaney didnt play any competitive games that season, Samuel started only 2 games, and the defence was generally made up of Mellberg, Laursen, Cahill and Ridgewell? I'd say the defence MON inherited was better than that inherited by McLeish as Dunne, Collins and Warnock have been on the dclie ever since tat 7-1 defeat at Chelsea.

[Dunne, Collins and Warnock have been on the dclie ever since tat 7-1 defeat at Chelsea.

They have been on the dclie ever since we lost 7-1 at Chelsea.

I am surprised that they can even stand up let alone have a go at playing premiership football!

:lol:

If you hated Villa with a passion, you couldn't do a better job than Lerner has in buggering us up beyond belief. I'm just amazed that still he seems to not be getting the blame for the way he's wrecked everything.

If you hated Villa with a passion, you couldn't do a better job than Lerner has in buggering us up beyond belief. I'm just amazed that still he seems to not be getting the blame for the way he's wrecked everything.

I think quite a few fans are blaming him for what has happened and this particular thread is full of them and their comments.

McLeish inherited a defence of Cuellar, Collins, Dunne & Warnock, who, until that Chelsea mauling had the best defensive record in the league.

MON inherited Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen & Samuel, who together took us to a Champions League QF. I mean 16th place,conceding more goals than relegated SHA.

But yes, it is a fair comparison.

Delaney didnt play any competitive games that season, Samuel started only 2 games, and the defence was generally made up of Mellberg, Laursen, Cahill and Ridgewell? I'd say the defence MON inherited was better than that inherited by McLeish as Dunne, Collins and Warnock have been on the dclie ever since tat 7-1 defeat at Chelsea.

Laursen made just 12 starts that season and ridgewell and Cahill were both very young and inexperienced defenders then.

Also compare the front 3.

Gabby..........bent.............nzogbia/ireland

Young gabby..........angel/baros..........Moore

No doubt Mcleish has the better squad.

Let's not forget as well that we had just had a pathetic season under GT mark II and MoN instantly made us the last unbeaten side in the country. That kind of thing gives fans hope and confidence for improvement in the future. Mcleish has done nothing like that.

Many fans started to question lerner when MoN left and many warned the general that Lerner would start to become the focus of the negativity. At this moment I can only see that negativity increasing.

The premiership years weren't horrendous under Doug, Randy has only managed 6 years before the fans want him to sell. It's mind blowing just how bad it's gone for him in such a short space of time.

There really is no excuse to get back to back managerial appointments so wrong.

Just realised it's cost us £100m+ (including wages) to be in exactly the same position we were in 6 years ago...Randy might be a nice guy, but clearly hasn't got a clue when it comes to running a football club (including the Browns)

Let's face it. We have an owner/chairman that shows less day to day interest than Doug Ellis ever did and the worst manager since Billy McNeil so it could be concluded that we have not progressed at all.

You forgot to mention all the money we've pissed away on Compensation, wages and transfer fees for shit players.

I cant believe the position we are in as a club at the moment given how much we have spent in the past 4 years. Id go as far as to say it couldnt get any worse at the moment.

You know, I still wake up at night and wonder if this whole Mcleish thing is a nightmare. Seriously, it hasnt sunk in yet.

Why was he hired? Just....Why?

It hasn't been 'going so well' since about August 2010. A bit longer than 'at the minute' I would think.

I would say Christmas 2009 but I get your point.

No idea, and we paid to get him ! I mean, it's like a bad joke

The toxic debt within the club has ruined us, financial mismanagement of the highest order

At least under Ellis we were a stable business

Let's face it. We have an owner/chairman that shows less day to day interest than Doug Ellis ever did and the worst manager since Billy McNeil so it could be concluded that we have not progressed at all.

You forgot to mention all the money we've pissed away on Compensation, wages and transfer fees for shit players.

I cant believe the position we are in as a club at the moment given how much we have spent in the past 4 years. Id go as far as to say it couldnt get any worse at the moment.

You know, I still wake up at night and wonder if this whole Mcleish thing is a nightmare. Seriously, it hasnt sunk in yet.

Why was he hired? Just....Why?

I would say your first line is just about 70% of our problem.

Big clamour now to see the back of the manager but then what? If McLeish is the best Randy and Faulkner could come up with over the summer then what could they come up with now if they did sack him. You really have to wonder what the thinking was behind his appointment. His actual record isn't that bad. A trophy win at Sha is an excellent achievement and he had a fair amount of success in Scotland but it doesn't over ride or mask over the fact he finished third in the SPL with Rangers and has two very recent relegations on his CV. Throw in the fact that he is known for playing overly cautious dour football preferring to protect the point you start the game with than going for three points then this was always a verging on the ridiculous appointment.

In the summer Benitez was out of work, Hughes was out of work even Curbishley who was out of work would have been a far better appointment.

Having this time decided to go for a manager that was in work though then they could have pretty much gone for anyone. Aston Villa should not be a hard club to sell to 99% of managers. It has a fantastic tradition and would even to most neutrals be seen as one of the top 6-8 clubs in the country with the potential to go higher. It makes you wonder therefore just why they couldn't or weren't willing to try to attract better than McLeish. Is it that they did approach much better managers but when told of the cost cutting they turned their noses up? when you have Martinez preferring to stick with Wigan there is clearly something seriously wrong.

I'd love to see the back of McLeish but then what? who do dumb and dumber bring in next. We can spout out names we think should easily attract like Lambert and Rodgers, two excellent up and coming managers, who should see us as a step up given who they manage but I am not sure they would come at the moment. That to me is a sad indictment on how this great club is being run.

Â