The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Why anybody is clamouring for Martinez when Rodgers and Lambert both play better, more attractive and more effective football is beyond me.

Was it not Martinez who started the whole Swansea ball rolling. I think people forget how good Martinez was at Swansea and in fairness to him I think he has done wonders at Wigan because if you look at the squad they are bollocks.

Its a miracle he gets them to play the way they do. I think he would get a lot more out of our squad than McLeish.

To be fair though before McLeish was appointed I was all for Louis van Gaal but clearly my ambitions and those of Lerner/Faulkner are universes apart

It really is an amazing achievement by Randy Lerner.

In just 2 years he has managed to get fans talking about relegation and protests instead of trips to Wembley, the possibility of winning a trophy and who we are playing in Europe.

I have to hand it to him, I don't think even a Tory government could **** up so much in so short a space of time!

So is getting us from relegation possibilites to challenging for the top 4 in just over a season.

Not going so well at the minute be shows things can change in a short amount of time if things are in the right place.

It hasn't been 'going so well' since about August 2010. A bit longer than 'at the minute' I would think.

I would say Christmas 2009 but I get your point.

Ah yes Christmas time when we followed up a five-game winning streak, which included a 1-0 smash and grab at Old Trafford, by losing to Liverpool and Arsenal. Villa then got booed off in a 0-0 draw with West Ham but soon after we had reached the Carling Cup final. That was the time when I realised how deluded some of our fans can be. It wasn't going wrong, we still finished sixth and came very close to winning a trophy but that wasn't enough for the fans. And look where we are now. Up shit creek.

Martinez seems like another Tony Mowbray. He may play the game the so-called "right" way, but he rarely wins a football match.

Yeah agree with that. Would much rather have Paul Lambert. Its funny how everyone has been jizzing themselves over Swansea while Norwich who barely get a mention are doing better.

I completely disagree with that. Martinez's style of play and Mowbray's style of play are where the comparisons end. The resources that Martinez has worked under and the results he has managed at Wigan are incredible. Wigan are by far the smallest club in the Premier League. Yet for someone who 'rarely wins a football match' he has somehow kept them in the Premier League for the 2 seasons he has been there. They've no given right to stay in the Prem. They shouldn't have the resources to be there, yet there they are. And even now at the bottom of the league they're within a win of getting out.

Of course they'll struggle every year given what they have, but he has done a great job with them. Mowbray came up with a toothless squad and went straight back down without a whimper, never managing to stay up. Martinez also set the tone at Swansea for the side that eventually came up under Rodgers. They were on the brink when Wigan nicked him. You do him a disservice saying he's another Mowbray. He's nothing of the sort. It's a very lazy comparison IMHO.

In just 2 years he has managed to get fans talking about relegation and protests instead of trips to Wembley, the possibility of winning a trophy and who we are playing in Europe.

I have to hand it to him, I don't think even a Tory government could **** up so much in so short a space of time!

So is getting us from relegation possibilites to challenging for the top 4 in just over a season.

Not going so well at the minute be shows things can change in a short amount of time if things are in the right place.

It hasn't been 'going so well' since about August 2010. A bit longer than 'at the minute' I would think.

I would say Christmas 2009 but I get your point.

Ah yes Christmas time when we followed up a five-game winning streak, which included a 1-0 smash and grab at Old Trafford, by losing to Liverpool and Arsenal. Villa then got booed off in a 0-0 draw with West Ham but soon after we had reached the Carling Cup final. That was the time when I realised how deluded some of our fans can be. It wasn't going wrong, we still finished sixth and came very close to winning a trophy but that wasn't enough for the fans. And look where we are now. Up shit creek.

fully agree with this.

I assume you're talking about O'Leary's first season then?

I'd like to give him a chance too, but i think it would take a considerable amount of time for him to really put is stamp on the team and change the style of play. It wouldnt happen over-night and would likely take a couple of season for the transition to happen.

I'm not sure we can give him that time to be honest.

You keep saying that but how long did it take Pardew to make his mark on Newcastle (please dont tell me thats how Hughton played!).

How long did it take Roy Hodgson to put his mark on Fulham, then the baggies.

Martinez created the infrastructure at Swansea, he has Wigan playing some pretty good football and I would like to see what he could do here.

It would have to be the end of the season, he would need to be given free reign to refresh the squad and most importantly remove the dead wood. I think he could take the club forward significantly and if he has the ability to do that, then he would also get my patience.

Well if he was able to clear out everyone he wanted too, and then have the funds to bring in everyone he wanted to in the space of one summer then yes, he could turn it around quicker. But i highly doubt that would be the case.

Reason why I think it would take time is because of the way the players reacted to Houllier when he wanted to change the style of football. We'd have all the same problems again. Unless those players were all removed. But I doubt that will be done in one transfer window.

Why anybody is clamouring for Martinez when Rodgers and Lambert both play better, more attractive and more effective football is beyond me.

Why would either Rogers or Lambert want to come to Villa? I personally think they're in a much better position as they are with the lack of funds available at VP.

Rodgers is only continuing what Martinez started at Swansea.....

Why would either Rogers or Lambert want to come to Villa?

Dont be ridiculous. However bad things get at Villa we dwarf those two clubs combined and then some.

They'd both jump at the chance if it came.

Â