The Randy Lerner thread

CI

What a shit appointment. Randy is a tool for appointing this person. The fan base is divided, the seats are empty as a result. Randy has a crap track record for appointing coaches. This one is a shocker. McLeish is a clown too, that interview after the game today had won him no friends at all.

Well, what do you expect? Lerner has proved both at the Cleveland Browns and here that he is entirely hopeless. He's a rich kid who inherited his dad's millions, but not, unfortunately, his business acumen. We've got a clown for an owner, who has employed a joke of a manager.

What a shit appointment. Randy is a tool for appointing this person. The fan base is divided, the seats are empty as a result. Randy has a crap track record for appointing coaches. This one is a shocker. McLeish is a clown too, that interview after the game today had won him no friends at all.

Well, what do you expect? Lerner has proved both at the Cleveland Browns and here that he is entirely hopeless. He's a rich kid who inherited his dad's millions, but not, unfortunately, his business acumen. We've got a clown for an owner, who has employed a joke of a manager.

So we agree then. Good. :lol:

He is a shit manager with a shit record. Not good enough for the Villa.

He's only a point behind where MON was after 24 PL games with us

MON inherited a team that was relegation bound.

AMC inherited almost the same team that finished sixth and got to the Carling Cup Final and FA Cup semi.

Not a fair comparison.

almost the same team apart from milner, young and downing?

oh, and add to that the fact that the defence forgot how to play football around the march of the season you mention, and haven't been the same since?

Downing was nothing that season. Everything went through Milner and Young. Downing only came into his element after Milner left.

The reason we repeatedly folded in March (4 years running) was because of the tactical genius MON not understanding players tiring and never making substitutions. And we've had four managers since then.

McLeish inherited Agbonlahor & Bent up front, MON inherited Angel and Luke Moore.

McLeish inherited a defence of Cuellar, Collins, Dunne & Warnock, who, until that Chelsea mauling had the best defensive record in the league.

MON inherited Delaney, Mellberg, Laursen & Samuel, who together took us to a Champions League QF. I mean 16th place,conceding more goals than relegated SHA.

But yes, it is a fair comparison.

Q1: Will Randy ever attend another villa game ?

Q2: If yes - When ?

Q3: What does it matter?

I suppose youre right - a non investing , a non attending chairman - has a good record of success.

He employs Faulkner and McLeish to run the two key elements of the club. In addition he has spent approx 5.5 of the last 10 working days directly involved with club business.

I would suggest that this portion of his business interests is getting a disproportionate amount of his time.

One impossible thing Randy has managed to do is get all of VT united. United in getting him and McLeish out. I thought it was impossible but he really has worked wonders.

I think that you are only reading a few posts my friend.

Many people would not want the owner out, myself included. I couldn't think of anything worse.

As for McLeish, there is no point in changing the manager now. It would serve only to continue the turmoil.

We need to see this season out and rebuild in the summer, with or without McLeish.

I suppose youre right - a non investing , a non attending chairman - has a good record of success.

He employs Faulkner and McLeish to run the two key elements of the club. In addition he has spent approx 5.5 of the last 10 working days directly involved with club business.

I would suggest that this portion of his business interests is getting a disproportionate amount of his time.

Trees, I admire you for your loyalty to Randy, but, I manage 8 teams for a Local Authority. If one of those teams was struggling, like Aston Villa, no doubts, I too would have to spend more time with that one particular team to get it looking in better shape. Villa are going down the pan and Randy has to take the lions share of the blame for that. The only thing saving the manager is that he has been handcuffed by Randy's austerity measures. Even saying that, I'd hate to think that Randy was enjoying watching the current playing style?

One impossible thing Randy has managed to do is get all of VT united. United in getting him and McLeish out. I thought it was impossible but he really has worked wonders.

Many people would not want the owner out, myself included. I couldn't think of anything worse.

As for McLeish, there is no point in changing the manager now. It would serve only to continue the turmoil.

We need to see this season out and rebuild in the summer, with or without McLeish.

I can't personally think of anything worse than being stuck with Lerner for the foreseeable future. He's made an absolute pig's ear of running our club, and will soon be spoken about in the same breath as Venkys in foreign owners ruining their clubs.

I can't personally think of anything worse than being stuck with Lerner for the foreseeable future. He's made an absolute pig's ear of running our club, and will soon be spoken about in the same breath as Venkys in foreign owners ruining their clubs.

Lerner's the cause of all the problems down Villa Park. He's sucking the life out of the club with his cut backs.

Just look to where we were 2 years ago and then take a look at us now. This is what happens when you sell your best player and employ average managers. This is all down to Randy.

Trees, I admire you for your loyalty to Randy, but, I manage 8 teams for a Local Authority. If one of those teams was struggling, like Aston Villa, no doubts, I too would have to spend more time with that one particular team to get it looking in better shape. Villa are going down the pan and Randy has to take the lions share of the blame for that. The only thing saving the manager is that he has been handcuffed by Randy's austerity measures. Even saying that, I'd hate to think that Randy was enjoying watching the current playing style?

I merely try to correct the myth (a much favoured word around here) that Mr Lerner is an absentee owner, because he isn't.

My 'loyalty' is more self-interest. Before Mr Lerner came we were a decaying club that was suffering through years and years of neglect-a 'not so rich' man's plaything, where austerity was a by-word.

The takeover saw investment in the infrastructure of the club that put's it as one of the top in Europe. At the same time huge investment was made in the playing side, in an attempt to match the goings on off the pitch with success on it.

That bit the owner got wrong. He put significant financial elements of the business into the hands of the team manager, who didn't have the business acumen to handle it. Far more Mr Lerner's fault than the team manager, and it eventually led to the rift that saw them take leave of each other.

Unfortunately the financial mismanagement of that period saw the club saddled with a number of individuals on large contracts who, quite frankly, were never good enough to justify their salaries.

The removal of several of those players this coming summer will result in investment on the playing side, and the possibility to go forward.

In a later post someone has mentioned Mr Lerner in the same line as Venky's, which couldn't be further from the truth. We are not a Blackburn, not a Portsmouth, not even an Everton (a great club that is slowly bleeding to death for want of an owner like Mr Lerner), we are Aston Villa and we will be strong again.

We get it thetrees,Lerner's got a shiny jet which you can track round the world. Good for you. But none of that means a single thing when it comes to running a football club, which he is hopeless at. So we've got some half decent training facilities? So what? Players ARE NOT going to sign because there's a hydrotherapy pool at Bodymoor now. I didn't see Barry, Young or Downing sticking around because Bodymoor has been upgraded. All players (and fans) are interested in is watching an entertaining team, that has a chance of winning matches. Since Lerner has messed things up beyond belief and made nearly £90m of losses in two years, we're completely bollocksed until the idiot sells up.

Lerner's the cause of all the problems down Villa Park

It wasn't Lerner who decided to play Collins and Hutton at the back, only two midfielders against the best three midfielders in the league, and Bent, Keane and Heskey up front. Yes, McLeish was his appointment, but this was an upset of the system that was playing a bit better football.

Heskey should have no place in the squad. I'd rather play unproven youth players than Heskey, he is just a total waste of time.

Hutton is a reckless-tackling liability and a defensive nightmare.

Collins is a shadow of the player he was two years ago - what happened?

Bent plays well when we pack out the midfield, but in a 4-4-2 hbe is pointless.

Playing just two midfielders today is not a hindsight observation, it is clear for all to see and has been for some time.

This manager is **** terrible. And because Randy is seemingly inactive, we are stuck with him.

It's sad that today I thought 'Ellis would have not accepted this and sacked McLeish by now'. Then I regained my composure.

As for Lerner, he has done good things for the club but has made some horrendous decisions in the last couple of years that are costing us dearly.

How will we be strong when Lerner is incapable of making good recruitment decisions in footballing or non footballing positions?

How do you know that to be a fact?

He was advised over the recruitment of O'Neill and Houllier, so he should sack his advisors (if he didn't do so already)?

Some may say that he was ill advised over the recruitment of McLeish :winkold:

As for Faulkner (presumable your non-footballing position?) who are you and I to make any judgement as to how capable he is at his job? I certainly don't know and I suspect that you don't either.

How will we be strong when Lerner is incapable of making good recruitment decisions in footballing or non footballing positions?

How do you know that to be a fact?

He was advised over the recruitment of O'Neill and Houllier, so he should sack his advisors (if he didn't do so already)?

Some may say that he was ill advised over the recruitment of McLeish :winkold:

As for Faulkner (presumable your non-footballing position?) who are you and I to make any judgement as to how capable he is at his job? I certainly don't know and I suspect that you don't either.

No you are right, he is doing a smashing job.

I'm wasting my time even getting into this so I won't.

Â