The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Why anybody is clamouring for Martinez when Rodgers and Lambert both play better, more attractive and more effective football is beyond me.

Why would either Rogers or Lambert want to come to Villa?

Dont be ridiculous. However bad things get at Villa we dwarf those two clubs combined and then some.

They'd both jump at the chance if it came.

Martinez didn't even want to discuss the job and we've ended up with Mcleish.

I don't think working for Lerner is as appealing as some fans believe.

Why anybody is clamouring for Martinez when Rodgers and Lambert both play better, more attractive and more effective football is beyond me.

Dont be ridiculous. However bad things get at Villa we dwarf those two clubs combined and then some.

Two years ago maybe, I really don't think that's the case any more. For one thing, I don't imagine that they'd earn a lot more than where they are at the moment. For another, why would they swap somewhere they're building something for a club for a club clearly on a downwards trajectory? They're both clearly going to stay up this season, and then that gives them a chance to replicate Stoke (not in terms of style) and build on that improve year on year to establish themselves. Martinez turned us down, why wouldn't Lambert?

Martinez didn't even want to discuss the job and we've ended up with Mcleish.

I don't think working for Lerner is as appealing as some fans believe.

You're misinformed. Martinez had already agreed to stay with Wigan before we invited him for an interview.

Managing Aston Villa is/was and always will be a top job. McLeish shouldn't have had the opportunity but that doesn't change the fact it is a top job at a big club.

You're misinformed. Martinez had already agreed to stay with Wigan before we invited him for an interview.

Managing Aston Villa is/was and always will be a top job. McLeish shouldn't have had the opportunity but that doesn't change the fact it is a top job at a big club.

He still didn't join us though did he? And we might still be a big club, but there's no way you can count working under the current restrictions as a "top job". We were hardly inundated with people queuing up to take over when O'Neill and then Houllier left. Much as I can't stand the yokel dimwit, I'm afraid that Holloway's description of us as "half arsed" is disappointingly near the mark.

Precisely Mazrim. At the moment Villa are at a low ebb and Norwich & Swansea are at a high ebb. If one of them was to come across to us, their club would fall back to it's normal level. I liken it to a platform game where you jump from one platform to the other just as they level up and before your own falls back down again, because it will happen.

Neither Rogers or Lambert are of the correct profile or stature to manage this great Club
What is that supposed to mean?

It means neither are good enough for us.

I'd put money on both Norwich & Swansea going down next season

Do you believe that Lerner wasn't rejected by some managers and McLeish was his first choice, or at least one of his top choices?

Precisely Mazrim. At the moment Villa are at a low ebb and Norwich & Swansea are at a high ebb. If one of them was to come across to us, their club would fall back to it's normal level. I liken it to a platform game where you jump from one platform to the other just as they level up and before your own falls back down again, because it will happen.

I've no doubt that Norwich and Swansea would struggle if their current managers left. However, that has absolutely no bearing on whether they'd join us or not. At the moment, it's not guaranteed that we'll even be a Premier League club next season. What's in it for them? Try and keep Villa in the Premier League while Lerner looks for a buyer?

Neither Rogers or Lambert are of the correct profile or stature to manage this great Club

How do you know neither are good enough for us?

I think it's too early to be getting giddy about either manager, but I would say they are both clearly better managers than McLeish. They play better football, and get more out of the teams based on the resources they have.

Do we actually know for certain that Randy Lerner is looking for a buyer? Or is that speculation based on observing a reduction in spending & wages which; in itself; can be explained more rationally as an attempt to make us a sustainable club?

On paper our squad is miles better than Norwich & Swansea's. Lambert in particular could do an enormous amount more with us than a) McLeish could and B) he himself is doing with Norwich. We would be a step up in his career and another step towards being the top manager that I think he will ultimately be. What's in it for him is what's in it for any manager who moves onwards and upwards to a better and bigger club. I don't accept that Lerner is looking to sell.

Do we actually know for certain that Randy Lerner is looking for a buyer?

It's been confirmed he has NO interest in selling.

Also, Why would you fly McLeish out to Cleveland ? Randy is looking at this as a long term project, thats why he's making the club sustainable

Norwich & Swansea and their respective managers are thriving on the adrenalin rush of being in the PL

Next season, both down

Very premature, to say they will both go down. One newly promoted club will probably go down and out of the current bottom 5, the 2 survivors will be down there also, as well as Fulham. Oh and Aston Villa might be down there too.

I still think villa will finish ahead of Swansea this season, the paludits they have been getting are over the top. I think Swansea will be 14th and Villa 13th. We will revisit these predictions on the last day.

That's just your BVB-bias talking

The fact that "Imma-slap-yo-punk-ass-bitch-mouth" aside, he's experienced working under one of the greatest coaches of all time and he's done a truly remarkable job at Norwich. Back to back promotions - at any level - are no mean feat.

I cant believe its even being debated that Rodgers or Lambert would prefer the Villa job to the ones they have now.

So I'm not going to debate it. It's laughable. I'm as pissed off as anybody with how things are right now but have some sense of proportion.

We're talking about managers of newly promoted small clubs one hand and a footballing institution on the other.

Anyway, a few other points.

- Martinez didn't join us because he wasn't interviewed or offered the job. Geoff Capes didn't join us either. Neither did Davina McCall or Kermit the Frog. Alas.

- It has not been confirmed that Randy is not looking to sell. And in fact, for what it's worth, it's my opinion that he is. Part or whole.

Â