The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I do find it hard to hate lerner the way some do on here and i think its mainly because i can always see what his trying to do EXCEPT the mcleish appointment.

Giving a lot of money to MON because he was new to football and wanted to get villa into champs leage but unfortunatley didnt see a divorce and a dramatic downturn in the economy.

The houllier appointment i could see where he was coming from he hired an expirenced manager whos been there done that but the one thing i couldnt understand was he was to old.

Having to cut back on wages and tansfer fees again is avfc was unrunable the amount we were paying out.

BUT if it gets to the summer and villa have got rid of the big earners and villa still arent spending then i would think its time for lerner to move on. I still wish lerner would speak more and was at VP more.

The thing for me ont he Martinez debate is... If he made a promise to Whelan then fair play to him for remaining loyal. But when I ask myself if that promise would have meant as much if it was Utd, Citeh or Arsenal that came calling I'm not so sure.

And seeing as the club went about things the right way and approached Whelan first surely the door was open should Martinez have wanted to come here.

The other side of the coin is that if he was/is happy to stay at Wigan then paerhaps he's not the right man for us anyway, surely we want somebody with a bit more ambition?

The thing for me ont he Martinez debate is... If he made a promise to Whelan then fair play to him for remaining loyal. But when I ask myself if that promise would have meant as much if it was Utd, Citeh or Arsenal that came calling I'm not so sure.

And seeing as the club went about things the right way and approached Whelan first surely the door was open should Martinez have wanted to come here.

The other side of the coin is that if he was/is happy to stay at Wigan then paerhaps he's not the right man for us anyway, surely we want somebody with a bit more ambition?

And if that "ambitious" person came to VP and did a great job and Liverplop came calling with a big chequebook etc. what would you expect/want him to do?

That would depend on where the 2 clubs were at the time, which would probably depend on how great a job he did. However, if the Liverpool job represented a significant step up from us then I'd expect him to progress his career and take the job.

Clearly if he'd been that successful I'd want him to stay, but I also wanted Barry, Milner and Young to stay, sometime we have to accpet that no matter how big we are there's always someone bigger.

Thats 8 players off the wage bill and I would expect in the region of 10-12 million to be brought from those sales. Team would look like:

-----------------------------Given-------------------------------

Lichaj----------Dunne--------------- Cueller------------Baker

--------------------Clark--------McCarthy----------------------

Albrighton---------------Gardner---------------------NZogbia

----------------------------Bent---------------------------------

I have only brought in a centre mid, that team may be young but youth brings speed, energy and enthusiasm. We have a team that Martinez could work with technically and develop.

Would rather watch this than a bunch of overpaid, gobby, lazy spongers on a Saturday!!!

That team would easily find itself in the lower part of the table, and quite possibly amongst the favourites to go down. No experience, no grit, no ability to deal with harsh results/unluck/losing streaks and no cover for injuries.

If you think Lerner will sell off every high-earning player just to cut costs you are mistaken! A relegation will kill off every rational towards cutting wages so to speak.

If you think Lerner will sell off every high-earning player just to cut costs you are mistaken! A relegation will kill off every rational towards cutting wages so to speak.
That is certainly the strategy being employed in the last two years and this is where it is taking us

Not sure I see much changing if he is determined to bring wages in line with revenue and the revenue amount continues to go down, then the wages must also

It is catch 22 and it is regressive

You'll need a big manager to come here and control the players, unfortunately Lambert may be good tactically but he would'nt control the likes of Dunn, Warnock, Ireland, N'Zog. We need a big name if we were to lose McLeish. This was always gonna be the problem with RL employing McLeish, our players dont really respect him as a premiership manager.

Not being funny mate but Houllier was a big name manager and he didn't manage to control those troublesome players did he?

For the record, I would like to see someone with the same footballing style philosophy as Houllier and that would mean getting in someone like Lambert or Rodgers. I don't think it would be too difficult for either to gain the respect of our egotistical players. Rodgers was at Chelsea not too long ago and Lambert was at Celtic and was also a Champions League winner as a player. However, our older players must surely know their days are numbered and getting decent enough performances may be a big ask, even if it was for the likes of Guardiola or Mourinho!

As a football fan full stop, I have enjoyed watching both Swansea and Norwich play this season and they gave us a lesson or two in football when we came up against them. Both managers are working with players that are mainly young and hungry. It is yet to be seen whether they could manage to get the same kind of results/performances out of a more experienced group of players and I think that is where our problems lie mainly.

We need to get these egotistical trouble-makers out of our club ASAP and bring in some younger, hungrier players who actually want to play for the club because they realise that they are at a big football club and not just on a jolly to fatten up their bank accounts before they retire!

Why anybody is clamouring for Martinez when Rodgers and Lambert both play better, more attractive and more effective football is beyond me.

Why would either Rogers or Lambert want to come to Villa?

Dont be ridiculous. However bad things get at Villa we dwarf those two clubs combined and then some.

They'd both jump at the chance if it came.

I'm really not so sure on that to be honest. I don't see Villa being an attractive proposition for either manager with how we stand at the minute. If they come in and perform badly as the previous two managers have done, it could be career suicide.

All i know, if I was either of them, and I was offered the job with the objective of cutting down the wage bill and then somehow rebuilding the squad with little money, then i'd stay where i was and keep building there.

• 2 weeks later...

Has made decisions which are not in the best interests of this club ever competing at the middle of the table, never mind the top end. When someone so obviously has no clue or resources, why would you want them to remain?

Its time to riot! **** off Lerner you clueless "soccer" liking word removed. You dont have a clue! You was brought up by Daddy with Daddys billions, you never did shit! Daddy cant save you now from the rath of the Holte! Either sack him at the end of the season or sell up and **** off!

**** clueless American word removed

Its time to riot! **** off Lerner you clueless "soccer" liking word removed. You dont have a clue! You was brought up by Daddy with Daddys billions, you never did shit! Daddy cant save you now from the rath of the Holte! Either sack him at the end of the season or sell up and **** off!

I can understand not wanting him as our Chairman anymore but do you really have to take it to such a personal level? There's no need to insult him, his family life or Americans in general just because you don't want him to own the club any more. Grow up.

Based on the rumours of cliques etc, then I do think that the team would need a massive overhaul. Technically our reserves side are capable and comfortable on the ball, which suggests they are coached the right way. The issue is with the first team...
I think you've reached a faulty conclusion. Based on rumours from last season, I'm not at all convinced that the problem doesn't lie with the coaching.

Last season when Dunne fell out with Houllier, the anecdotal account of events was that he was pissed off with being forced to become a spokesperson for player complaints/suggestions. Reportedly, this caused internal tensions because it undermined the captain, then on top of that the complaints were all dismissed anyway.

Apparently among the players' concerns was the fact that coaching was inconsistent between the reserves side and the first team, which resulted in problems eg. defender confusion as to what marking system they were supposed to be using.

That draws me to a couple of conclusions:

• [*:de842ff872]The fact that the reserves appear well coached means nothing and the first team coaching may indeed be shoddy.[*:de842ff872]The 'troublemakers' and cliques in our squad may in fact just be players who've said reasonable things which our managers haven't liked - sometimes even when it was their assigned responsibility to do so.

So I lean towards the most simplistic and IMO likely explanation, which is that we've had two shitty managers in a row and the first team coaching is iffy. The talent remains in our squad for a decent manager to utilise.

I can understand not wanting him as our Chairman anymore but do you really have to take it to such a personal level? There's no need to insult him, his family life or Americans in general just because you don't want him to own the club any more. Grow up.

Exactly. The fact that Randy Lerner is American has nothing to do with this. I live in America now and know there is a great following of our game here and people do actually know something about it.

That said I am not happy with how the club is being run and am all for the fans opposing our Chairman's 'vision' for us.

I don't remember anyone having a go at Doug Ellis for being an old **** clueless English word removed

Same for McLeish, his hair colour, nationality and former employer has nothing to do with his inabilities to manage a top Premier League club.

The only way to hurt Lerner is in his pocket, if you keep paying to watch this drivel he'll do nothing about it.

I hate not going to VP on a Saturday, but whilst that clueless idiot is picking the team I'll be staying away and saving my cash.

Yeah, I agree. I can understand why people are against Lerner and I'll probably soon be joining them if things carry on as they are but it'll be real embarrassing if we do a Liverpool and start shouting "yanks out" and burning American flags in front of VP.

Â