The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Has anybody ever written to the club before? To Faulkner or Lerner? Had any luck?

I started drafting a letter during the game today, half in anger and half because I was so bored by what I watching. It's going to be fairly lengthy and will take me a while, but I really must get a few things said about the potential damage and the risks that the club is taking by continuing with McLeish, not only now but in the medium and long term.

I would never have bothered with Ellis but I think there's at least a chance that someone in the new regime might listen.

Post it on here and save yourself the price of a stamp because nobody at AVFC will take a blind bit of notice. If they listened to the fans then we wouldn't be in this mess now.

Perhaps, but I'd like to at least give them the opportunity to reply. I don't agree that they don't care about the fans.

I'll post it on the front page as well, but it may end up a bit of an essay. The piece I did on Houllier for the front page last season was almost 1500 words and I think I have more to say about this, not least because our position is more precarious and the issues more fundamental.

I need to write it though, for my own sake as much as anything.

Personally I don't think Lerner needs to go and I think he is certainly well meaning in his efforts to make us successful. After all he has an awful lot of money tied up in us so I can't imagine why he would want us relegated. All Randy needs to do is employ a decent manager. We don't have a great squad but we do have a good squad that just needs some proper management. I still think Curbishley would do a decent job as his record is actually quite impressive (I was surprised when I looked at it). As for PF I think he is decent on the commercial side for the corporate deals etc (kit, sponsors etc) but I wouldn't let him near the footballing side.

I still think Curbishley would do a decent job as his record is actually quite impressive (I was surprised when I looked at it). .

Yeah, I don't understand why his name is constantly lumped in with the likes of Phil Brown, Steve Bruce, Iain Dowie etc on this site. He's a former Villan and did a great job at both Charlton and West Ham.

With the money and ambition we have (or don't have) these days, I struggle to think of anyone better.

I still think Curbishley would do a decent job as his record is actually quite impressive (I was surprised when I looked at it). .

Yeah, I don't understand why his name is constantly lumped in with the likes of Phil Brown, Steve Bruce, Iain Dowie etc on this site. He's a former Villan and did a great job at both Charlton and West Ham.

With the money and ambition we have (or don't have) these days, I struggle to think of anyone better.

He has many attributes that suit us atm.

He knows how to get the best out of Bent.

He can bring through youth players such as Scot Parker.

He works within a budget.

He's not an anti-football, overly defensive, ginger, Scotish clearing in the woods!

Personally I don't think Lerner needs to go and I think he is certainly well meaning in his efforts to make us successful. After all he has an awful lot of money tied up in us so I can't imagine why he would want us relegated. All Randy needs to do is employ a decent manager.

Yes - but it is his inability to do that - what makes him a poor chairman.

Your statement is a bit like saying emille heskey is a good player - all he needs to do is score a few goals.

I completely understand that Randy may have some personal issues that affect him taking too much interest in Villa recently but I am afraid he either has to get past them or sell the club if they are too much of a distraction for him

Has anybody ever written to the club before? To Faulkner or Lerner? Had any luck?

I started drafting a letter during the game today, half in anger and half because I was so bored by what I watching. It's going to be fairly lengthy and will take me a while, but I really must get a few things said about the potential damage and the risks that the club is taking by continuing with McLeish, not only now but in the medium and long term.

I would never have bothered with Ellis but I think there's at least a chance that someone in the new regime might listen.

Don't bother dude. I penned one last season during Houllier's reign and as a season ticket holder of 40 years I didn't even have the courtesy of an acknowledgement. Eventually I rang the club to see if the letter had been received and they confirmed it had so they couldn't hide behind the excuse that the lettter had got lost in the post.

I completely understand that Randy may have some personal issues that affect him taking too much interest in Villa recently but I am afraid he either has to get past them or sell the club if they are too much of a distraction for him

He has already said Villa hardely take up any of his time at all (even if was too Yank radio) but hearing his tone I believed him.

Personally I don't think Lerner needs to go and I think he is certainly well meaning in his efforts to make us successful. After all he has an awful lot of money tied up in us so I can't imagine why he would want us relegated. All Randy needs to do is employ a decent manager.

Yes - but it is his inability to do that - what makes him a poor chairman.

Your statement is a bit like saying emille heskey is a good player - all he needs to do is score a few goals.

haha.

I really don't get him. Or Faulkner.

They wanted to cut costs in terms of the wages and expenditure then whilst I wasn't happy that finishing sixth and having the sixth highest wage bill was deemed unsustainable if that's how it is then that's how it is.

What I don't understand is why they then firstly went out and acquired a known chequebook manager. It was no surprise really was it that he then needed the best part of 30 mill to dig us out of a hole that he got us in to.

Having done away with that mistake you think he can't **** up again surely. Then low and behold he brings in a guy with two recent relegations on his CV and known for playing a negative brand of football far more concerned with not losing rather than winning. Well surprise surprise we now find ourselves 3 places above the drop zone playing dire overly defensive minded football.

Of course the up shot of all the above is that in two seasons average attendances have dropped by around 5k and are only going one way - down, the atmosphere at games is dire, we are continually having pundits criticize the way we are playing and are quickly becoming known as one of the most boring sides to watch in the Premier League.

Its hardly the way to go about maintaining revenue, never mind increasing it, having less people coming through the turnstiles and floating supporters and the further afield worldwide audience seeing us as a side that serves up negative crap. It must be costing the club millions especially when you add in the lost revenue in terms of where we are likely to finish this season.

The above will inevitably lead to more cost cutting due to lost income, the selling of more of our better players, although there aren't now many left who will bring in substantial fees, and so the downward spiral will continue.

He has done a fair bit to be happy about in the 6 years he has been here but his decisions over the last couple of years have meant we are likely to end this season in a similar position to the last season under Ellis. Like Ellis it is now time for him to sell up. Under him I can only see us continuing heading in one direction - the same one we have been heading in for the last 20 months and if it continues for much longer that will inevitably mean relegation.

Getting rid of McLeish is simply getting rid of the monkey. It is the organ grinder who also needs to depart.

Well, we're still better than when he took over so I wouldn't go that far.

I disagree, when he took over he was lucky Doug had appointed Martin O'Neill just before he left.

We are now exactly where we were under DOL so no we are no better

Â