The Randy Lerner thread

CI

To be honest with you guys, I was very spectacle to the news that the Q.I.A was looking at buying Aston Villa.

But as DodgyKnees has said, I am a firm believer that Randy will not be in charge of Villa come next season.

The idea that people think that we are cutting the wage bill to its bare bones to then rebuild the squad again by spending millions is a bit OTT.

Randy this season, I don't think has put any of his own cash into Villa. I'm in the thinking, that the bonus & TV revenue went onto buy Given, CNZ, Hutton, Stevens & Jenas. The point that we only signed Keane on a £500k deal points to the fact Randy was unwilling to splash his cash.

The other point being is the North Stand. Plans where in place to rebuild the stand & then have it fall into line with St James'. People inside of Villa have said its been shelved due to the financial climate.

Villa have also contacted season ticket holders asking to do a survey. Over the years I have had my ticket I have never been asked to do one. Cutting the long story short, it was a call to see if I was renewing next season. When asked if I wouldn't renew if we got a low league place again points to me, that Randy just wants to club to survive in the league.

My response to the customer services rep was "if Alex is still there I won't be". Alex at the end of the day is a short term fix. The press are very much focused on him & the team. This allows the board to act like Ninjas & play it low key.

The fact as well that I have had at least 4 people tell me Randy is ready to sell says he is doing things right. Not on the field but Randy does love Villa & he won't screw us over by having any jack jones walk in.

Whether its the Q.I.A or anyone else. Many are getting itchy feet over Randy & the board with the direction the club is going.

Being a ticket holder our home attendances have been poor. 10,000 people don't stop coming for a reason. If I'm being honest, the public have had some awesome deals to get fans back in. Which does make you wonder this season at least why bother having a season ticket.

Also don't you find it weird that villa posted that Randy had been here over the last few weeks to talk to Alex. But, in a interview recently Alex said he hadn't seen Randy since after Christmas?

Also why did Villa post about Randy ON THE DAY that the prince was supposedly going to Bodymoor Heath?

I would love to be a fly on the wall to see Villa's end of season figures. I bet they are alarming!

None of the above indicates (to me at least) that he's selling. Ive said this before, but we as fans overestimate the effect of match day attendances on revenue. A drop of 10,000 per game will equal a drop of £4M, so I'm certain the cost cutting will balance that out. The single most important revenue stream to us is the TV deal.

Regarding the North Stand, I'm certain he club was referring to the general economic climate not just its own position when it delayed the work. Believe it or not the recession has probably ad as much of an effect on attendances as the appointment if McLeish and the so called 'anti-football'. It would be lunacy to have continued to expand the stadium regardless of the economy.

Randy has no obligation to put money into the club, but he has used various mechanism to do so during his tenure, even doing so last year through the issue of additional shares. So it's incorrect to say he hasn't done so in the last year. As the owner of Aston Villa, he has every right to use the TV money for whatever purpose he desires, and I'm not certain what the 'bonus'' you refer to is, but the same could be said for that.

Personally to not attend matches, because the manager is Alex McLeish seems a bit lame to me. Would people still not attend if we were in fifth with the same manager ?

That said, I do believe that if we are going to challenge the top 6 again anytime soon then Randy will need to seek external investment, or the sale of the club. I also believe that some random Saudi prince doesn't just visit our training ground following a potential meeting with Randy in Paris. For tea and biscuits. What could they discuss at BH that wouldn't have been concluded in Paris ?

Mat Kendrick posted on his twitter "McLeish optimistic avfc will be in a strong enough financial position to invest in quality players this summer. See today's Sunday Mercury."

Eck: "It could be we end up paying massive wages for someone who comes in the summer as long as it fits into that whole (wagebill) package".

If the figures in the Deloitte report are accurate (and they were only about £1m out in 2011), our audited accounts when they come out will show that income for the year to May 2011 will be slightly down on the year before.

If the figures in the Deloitte report are accurate (and they were only about £1m out in 2011), our audited accounts when they come out will show that income for the year to May 2011 will be slightly down on the year before.

But more importantly, the outgoings?

But more importantly, the outgoings?

Those won't be known until the full accounts are out, which will be at the end of this month.

I seriously hope that Randy doesn't try to 'buy' his way out of the Eck appointment in the summer, by giving him decent transfer funds. IMO McLeish at Villa will never work, he is on borrowed time, it's just a case of waiting until Randy realises this. The last thing we need is to give McLeish £20m+ to waste and be left in the same position we are currently in, in another 12/18 months.

Agree joker. Money to McLiesh is just a bad idea. He has signed some garbage in the past and giving him loads of cash could make us go back to square one with wages etc.

IF RL does give a load of cash it must mean he's giving it one more go. Wouldn't suprise me if he has told ECK to sign a 'big name' to get fans on their side!

Didn't McLeish spend £20m on players in the summer before his last season with SHA, only to take a mid-table finish the previous season to relegation the next?

A team finishing 9th one season should not get relegated the next if they spend £20m. Epic Fail.

Negating what he could spend in a possible future.

If you judge him on the things that you can judge him on so far, tactics, organisation, motivation, team selection, results etc.

It's been poor, and any one that argues otherwise has to be completely blinkered not to see it.

They should have known better than to appoint Small Heath's manager.

I still can't believe the club actually went and did that to us. This is what has caused all the unrest and negativity at villa park especially with the fanbase. I don't think McLeish will even be accepted because of his SHA ties. Im amazed the board chose to ignore our rivalry with blues, it shows just how little lerner and co care about the fans. randy can put on all the free coaches he likes but i will never forgive him and i will certainly never back mcleish

Wouldn't suprise me if he has told ECK to sign a 'big name' to get fans on their side!

I don't think Socrates is around any more (Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira)

When you said a big name you did mean a 'BIG' name didn't you?

Wouldn't suprise me if he has told ECK to sign a 'big name' to get fans on their side!

I don't think Socrates is around any more (Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira)

When you said a big name you did mean a 'BIG' name didn't you?

Jan Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink

Agree joker. Money to McLiesh is just a bad idea. He has signed some garbage in the past and giving him loads of cash could make us go back to square one with wages etc.

IF RL does give a load of cash it must mean he's giving it one more go. Wouldn't suprise me if he has told ECK to sign a 'big name' to get fans on their side!

I don't think the club can afford Messi.. I think that's the only big name he could sign that wouldn't worry me. I don't think any manager could break that guy and he's the only player that could win the Premier League by himself.

Dukes wrote

A drop of 10,000 per game will equal a drop of £4M

Well 190,000 x spend of £25 =£4.75m, but the issue is how many tickets are now sold cheap just to get bums on seast? They are even offering deals for the Witton Lane for todays game.

I would guess the figure down on ticket sales is probably nearer £7m when you get the 2 for £20 deals that have taken place and no doubt will again.

Â