The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I hope that fool lerner reads what Ben Foster has said about us today

So true

Ben Foster: "Aston Villa have a big stadium. Classically clubs in the Championship have smaller stadia. The times they are a'changing"

We really can only hope Randy reads these inspirational words. They will surely put some things into perspective.

The article says

It may well be that the article has got that wrong (that's what I thought in my post) but I don't see how I can be accused of "completely misinterpreting it."

Really, I'm just repeating what it says on the can.

However, we both seem to agree what the journo says is wrong.

the journo doesnt say it wrong at all. they had initially agreed a budget, lerner had conceded to allow mon to spend £20m on top of that budget

the journo doesnt say it wrong at all. they had initially agreed a budget, lerner had conceded to allow mon to spend £20m on top of that budget

I absolutely refuse to discuss this further after this post, The journo says "By the time he quit over the sale of Milner to Manchester City, O'Neill was understood to be more than £20million over the budget he had agreed with Lerner."

That couldn't be any clearer.

You are claiming Lerner agreed to let him spend £20m more than the original budget (be interested to learn how you "know" this, by the way), so the new figure (i.e. original +£20m) becomes the agreed budget.

The journalist's words mean he spent MORE than he was allowed by Lerner.

There is no other way they can be interpreted.

Edited by briny_ear

I think sadly Lerner's reached a state of acceptance with things.

He knows MON style spending again would be unsustainable, he bit the bullet with Houlliers January budget to get us out the shit, even McLeish dished out big wages to CNZ, Hutton and Given.

Now, I believe hes looking back on his tenure and privately realising his mistakes in the managers hes hired and the wages hes sanctioned for players whove contributed nothing of note.

Looking forward all he can probably see is us needing further investment on a decent scale and us still never getting anywhere.

Hes happy to leave Lambert to his own devices, if he takes us down he takes us down. Going down would be expensive but so would an attempt at keeping us up.

He knows MON style spending again would be unsustainable, he bit the bullet with Houlliers January budget to get us out the shit, even McLeish dished out big wages to CNZ, Hutton and Given.

Now, I believe hes looking back on his tenure and privately realising his mistakes in the managers hes hired and the wages hes sanctioned for players whove contributed nothing of note.

Looking forward all he can probably see is us needing further investment on a decent scale and us still never getting anywhere.

Hes happy to leave Lambert to his own devices, if he takes us down he takes us down. Going down would be expensive but so would an attempt at keeping us up.

If this is the case then he needs to put the club up for sale immediately. If he has no plans for the club, what's the point in him owning the club?

Edited by PieFacE

I think that is a pretty feasable roundup of things.

If this is the case then he needs to put the club up for sale immediately. If he has no plans for the club, what's the point in him owning the club?

Oh I think he had plans for the club.... a few managers along the way changed those plans, for him.

He may well now be caught in the headlights... **** if he spends and **** if he don't.

Oh I think he had plans for the club.... a few managers along the way changed those plans, for him.

He may well now be caught in the headlights... **** if he spends and **** if he don't.

Quite true and you could say the same about Lambert at this stage.

Hope we stay up as am 100% sure Lerner is going to sell.

If he's certain to sell, it would have been wise for him to bolster the team enough to make Premiership survival a sure thing. A Championship Aston Villa side will fetch considerably less than a Premier League Aston Villa.

If he's certain to sell, it would have been wise for him to bolster the team enough to make Premiership survival a sure thing. A Championship Aston Villa side will fetch considerably less than a Premier League Aston Villa.

In the USA "champions" sounds better than "premiers"

He isn't about to sell up because he would lose a fortune, the club isn't worth enough to cover what he has invested so he is highly unlikely to go anywhere.

It is going to be a while until he is ready to sell and that will mean a few more years being run as cheaply as possible while paying off his own loans.

If people think he is about to sell up and leave they are kidding themselves, we are stuck with him for a while yet and things are likely to get worse not better just as they've done for 3 years now.

Lerner has put in so much money into this club but has seen little success from it. MON spent millions of his money on awful players and a few good ones, but we only achieved Europa league. Although MON managed to lose every game in the Europa league so Villa never did anything in Europe. Can't blame Lerner for not wanting to keep throwing his money away after what MON did to him. The managers he has signed really have not done much better with his money as well. Houllier spent millions on Bent who is no longer worth anywhere near that type of money. McLeish spent a lot on awful players like Hutton, N'Zogbia and gave Given too much. Lambert has purchased players and yet we are still shit. Lerner probably sees any money he gives to managers as money thrown away.

Â