The Randy Lerner thread

CI

http://goo.gl/DAVSE

Interesting article about how leaderless we are in a footballing sense. I know people on here have raised issues as to how reliable this guy is (the journalist).

Quite interesting that he says O'Neill spent £20m more than was agreed with Randy. Did he actually give O'Neill his account details? Seems incredible - especially when the last £20m O'Neill spent at Villa would have been Dunne, Warnock, and Collins. He clearly blew his budget before he even looked at replacing the back 4 - hence the overspend.

Especially the following excerpts. Is as I always believed but constantly disputed by fans that blame Lerner for all our ills and paint MON as a great manager and wronged man

Stride's position had effectively been made redundant by Lerner's agreement that Martin O'Neill would have the final say on all football matters, including wages, contracts and transfer fees.

Faulkner took Stride's title, before becoming chief executive, but it was O'Neill who called the shots.

Had Stride still been at the club and retained any influence, he would have put a stop to O'Neill's crazy spending long before it got out of hand. He had worked with 11 managers under former chairman Doug Ellis and knew how to say no.

I'll always acknowledge that Lerner is guilty of placing to much power in MONs hands to our detriment. No one can accuse him of not having the best interests of the club at heart, however misguided.

http://goo.gl/DAVSE

Interesting article about how leaderless we are in a footballing sense. I know people on here have raised issues as to how reliable this guy is (the journalist).

Quite interesting that he says O'Neill spent £20m more than was agreed with Randy. Did he actually give O'Neill his account details? Seems incredible - especially when the last £20m O'Neill spent at Villa would have been Dunne, Warnock, and Collins. He clearly blew his budget before he even looked at replacing the back 4 - hence the overspend.

So refreshing actually reading an article that has a story to it and is telling the audience something a little different to what has been heard before. Most articles written are space fillers based on nothing and talk mainly in cliches.

A good read and a different perspective... thanks for posting.

By the time he quit over the sale of Milner to Manchester City, O'Neill was understood to be more than £20million over the budget he had agreed with Lerner.

Maybe Lerner should have paid a bit more attention to things. You know being the owner and all.

Just unlucky eh?

Oh if MoN quit why did we agree to a settlement out of court? Same old story.

It's baffling to me that Lerner is being a miser when he just sold the Browns for close to $1billion...he's willing to risk Premiership status and it's riches for what?

Spend some money, you hammerhead!

how much have we recouped from players sold?

the other income ie season tickets, prize money, tv deals, sponsorship should offset running costs.

he has not invested that much

how does that explain the massive losses the club incurs every year (at for the released books)?

who do you think is footing the bill for that?

2010-2011 - £54m loss (that's despite lerner putting in £25m on top of that, otherwise losses wouldve been £79m, astonishingly)

2009-2010 - £38m loss

2008-2009 - £43.7m loss

2007-2008 - £13m loss

that's £148.7m LOSS in those 4 years. im not defending a lack of spending, but to say that lerner spends nothing on the club is nonsense. he's just been plugging gaps to keep us afloat for the last 5 years, regardless of whether it was him who went around drilling all the holes in the ship through his carelessness or not

Edited by P3te

If Lerner doesn't want to sell up, maybe he could consider taking on partners who can inject some cash into the operation. Bit of a daydream, I know, but what the hell.

You mean enough to finish mid-table but not challenge for Europe as we'd be probably disqualified by FFP rules

You mean enough to finish mid-table but not challenge for Europe as we'd be probably disqualified by FFP rules

Thats the bit i always get confused by... How come we are trying to "operate within our means" whilst all the others cannot possibly be doing the same?.. for example how much must QPR be paying in wages compared to their income?.. The net result..we drop like a stone & they survive!.. Bizarre.. really really bizarre!

Lerner is worth around 5 billion so I doubt its really about money. He is a true businessman as you would expect owning a bank, he knows the value of money and i believe just dont wanna piss it up the wall ever again.

hes not worth half that

And he's rich by birth, not through business

Daddy left him his cash

Edited by P3te

Thats the bit i always get confused by... How come we are trying to "operate within our means" whilst all the others cannot possibly be doing the same?.. for example how much must QPR be paying in wages compared to their income?.. The net result..we drop like a stone & they survive!.. Bizarre.. really really bizarre!

we're hoping the 17 clubs above us are disqualified from Europe under FFP so we get champs league by default

hes not worth half that

And he's rich by birth, not through business

Daddy left him his cash

Beat me to it. I thought his net worth is under $2.5 Billion after divorce and recession. Replaced his dad as chairman of MBNA when he died. He was a large MBNA shareholder and owner of Cleveland Browns so Randy inherited. MBNA was sold to Bank of America in 2005 and Randy did quite well but I think he's lost a chunk since then.

Owning Aston Villa is a vanity project for Lerner, something to keep him occupied and have something to talk about at cocktail parties.

It was never like that under Doug. And it is not like that at other clubs like Chelsea or Man City either.

:rolleyes:

Beat me to it. I thought his net worth is under $2.5 Billion after divorce and recession. Replaced his dad as chairman of MBNA when he died. He was a large MBNA shareholder and owner of Cleveland Browns so Randy inherited. MBNA was sold to Bank of America in 2005 and Randy did quite well but I think he's lost a chunk since then.

As of March 2012 his net worth was less than £1bn. He no longer appears on the Forbes list of global billionaires. His net worth has never been anywhere near £2.5bn, his peak was in 2007 when his net worth was £1.6bn. This figure had dropped to $1bn by 2011 which is when he last appeared on the forbes list.

He lost fortunes with the credit crunch and his divorce cost him a lot. His net worth is arount $700-$800m now.

Dunno how that is his worth when he sold the browns for more apparently

how does that explain the massive losses the club incurs every year (at for the released books)?

who do you think is footing the bill for that?

2010-2011 - £54m loss (that's despite lerner putting in £25m on top of that, otherwise losses wouldve been £79m, astonishingly)

2009-2010 - £38m loss

2008-2009 - £43.7m loss

2007-2008 - £13m loss

that's £148.7m LOSS in those 4 years. im not defending a lack of spending, but to say that lerner spends nothing on the club is nonsense. he's just been plugging gaps to keep us afloat for the last 5 years, regardless of whether it was him who went around drilling all the holes in the ship through his carelessness or not

A lot of those losses are due to stupid opperating costs he signed off on the mans a tard

• Like 1

As of March 2012 his net worth was less than £1bn. He no longer appears on the Forbes list of global billionaires. His net worth has never been anywhere near £2.5bn, his peak was in 2007 when his net worth was £1.6bn. This figure had dropped to $1bn by 2011 which is when he last appeared on the forbes list.

He lost fortunes with the credit crunch and his divorce cost him a lot. His net worth is arount $700-$800m now.

Right. I said I thought it was less than $2.5 billion(should've said less than 2) and he's sold the Browns for "...in excess of $1 billion".

Â