The Randy Lerner thread

CI

• 1 month later...

That the "Randy Lerner" thread hadn't had a post since 11th June, till I bumped it, and was half way down the the third page of topics speaks volumes. Whatever the arguments for and against our "Custodian" he is to all intents and purposes now irrelevant to the fans.

Sadly It looks like we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future and from a PL perspective AVFC is destined to be as irrelevant as he has become :-(

No Future ... Proud Past and all that bollox!

Well Lerner has untill the end of the transfer window to show us how much of a custodian he is!

Wage bill drastically cut, dead wood mostly been shifted. 2 high profile players gone, PL money on the up. There should be plenty to spend and if he decides that he wants to play scrooge then he is an idiot!

But nobody knows whats going to happen its all hearsay.

• Like 2

That the "Randy Lerner" thread hadn't had a post since 11th June, till I bumped it, and was half way down the the third page of topics speaks volumes. Whatever the arguments for and against our "Custodian" he is to all intents and purposes now irrelevant to the fans.

Sadly It looks like we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future and from a PL perspective AVFC is destined to be as irrelevant as he has become :-(

No Future ... Proud Past and all that bollox!

I actually take it as positive sign that nobody is talking about the owner. He is trying to sell the club and hopefully to the right buyer. Without repeating the Martin Samuel article (I think) of a couple of months ago that is seemingly proving hard because of FFP.

Fox is running the club and personally I would think that it is now being run as self sustaining business. Hence all this hysteria about RL taking out Benteke and Delph money is rubbish. He has to demonstrate that the club is being run on a proper business basis and a potential buyer is not acquiring the right to lose more money. Of course if a future owner wants pump more money into the club that will be their call when they own it.

The club are identifying first teams players and signing them. Whether they cost 10m or 2m I don't really care.

So far we've signed Richards, Sinclair, Amavi, Gueye and possibly now Ayew.

Four first team players and a squad one in Sinclair. Adebayor still to come in and probably at least one more midfielder.

That's going to be more than half a new team so really not sure how much more the club can be doing.

Breaking news but the best players in the best leagues don't want to join Aston Villa at the minute.

• Like 1

Hope we aren't just going to spend what we have made on transfers and cuts to the wage bill.

Another 20m I hope is available somewhere.

with the tv windfall, it is there

Someone said it earlier, but lerner deserves no plaudits for spending what we got for selling CB and FD

• 2 weeks later...

I know people will argue we have had self inflicted wounds, and also that maybe he has had little alternative now, but I dont think such a good window should go by without recognising the input of Randy this time.  There are other wealthy owners out there who have also caused issues for their Club and I see few, if any, of them making this sort of comeback, if thats what it is.

There are of course other elements, Fox, probably Sherwood maybe being a bit less "whatever you say boss" than others etc, plus of course the benefit we have had of Lamberts era where we did after all cut costs AND survive (I know all the fors and againsts and whys and wherefores but it is true).

But fair play to Randy, we do now, finally, have a season where we can be at least, if not mildly Optimistic, at least a little less suicidally pessimistic than we usually feel.

• Like 3

Hope we aren't just going to spend what we have made on transfers and cuts to the wage bill.

Another 20m I hope is available somewhere.

with the tv windfall, it is there

Someone said it earlier, but lerner deserves no plaudits for spending what we got for selling CB and FD

Adding to what I have said above, I think he does.  There are countless examples where owners have not reinvested this sort of money.

His comeback involves him promising to stay away from the club. Shows how bad he is when our best window under him comes after that promise.

I'll save my praise for sherwood, Reilly, Fox and the others actually working hard to improve the mess Lerner put us in this summer.

His comeback involves him promising to stay away from the club. Shows how bad he is when our best window under him comes after that promise.

I'll save my praise for sherwood, Reilly, Fox and the others actually working hard to improve the mess Lerner put us in this summer.

I dont especially disagree, except none of those you mention would get anywhere without Lerners backing, would they ?

I dont especially disagree, except none of those you mention would get anywhere without Lerners backing, would they ?

or they wouldn't be here unless ultimatums were given to the owner, demands he had to meet or else completely lose any chance of recouping money from his soccer adventure . Don't kid yourself he deserves praise or the reason why we are looking more like a club with a plan

I'm still on the fence with Lerner, the four seasons have been painful and I put most of that at his door. One really good close season where in reality he's only (so far) spent the money we have received from CB and FD is a step in the right direction but still a way to go to in my eyes. For the first time in many years I'm not unhappy with him but giving him credit is at the moment too far for me as at the end of the day he has only spent money he's recouped.

Â