The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'd like to see something similar for net spend - more meaningful. 

A pie chart wouldn't work for the net figures, some clubs made a profit. You can't have a slice of pie with negative mass.

I dont know, tescos are trying for it with their apple pies!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

The Hull sale seems pathetic, because the bloke couldn't rename them the Hull Tigers he no longer wants the club? But if the appeal is successful he'll take them off the market? Was rebranding the club to a name that no one wanted really that important? 

Aaaah meh... guess that's for a Hull thread.

Edited by PieFacE

I think Delph could be dodgy England international now. Few clubs will be sniffing.

Then theres the fact Lambert's contract is up, why would you sign if you don't know if he'll be here.

I knocked Delph down from 70% to 60% based on his decent England performance. ;)

I think most players will be more attracted by a large value contract and the opportunity to play in the Premier League for a decent size club than the contract status of a manager yet to prove himself convincingly.

Edited by brommy

So after 4 awful years he decides to sell the club and we follow that up by hiring a good assistant manager, a good CEO, changing the transfer business to allow more experience to be signed and start signing key players to new deals.

Has the fact it seems no one is interested in buying the club shocked Lerner into running us properly again?

Hopefully if this continues we should more attractive next summer.

I'd love to credit Randy with all that - but I don't think it was his good decision making:

- Lambert would have hired Keane

- Our former CEO left, so this decision was forced. And let's face it - any half decent CEO could hardly make the club worse.

- Transfer targets are surely left to Lambert. He has ditched the "young and hungry" but the budget hasn't really changed.

- We signed key players to deals before (see Benteke) and we still have some coming off contract this year (Vlaar, Delph, and possibly Grealish) so not much has changed there.

Randy you'd imagine gave him the green light to at least restablish the likes of Hutton and Bent in the first team squad.

Randy you'd imagine gave him the green light to at least restablish the likes of Hutton and Bent in the first team squad.

Last time I checked, the owner didn't pick the squad. I'm certain Randy gave Lambert instructions as to who he should look to move on (Dunne, Collins, Hutton, Bent, etc) ....

... but the decision to put these players into the "bomb squad" and not use them at all was always Lambert's.

Last time I checked, the owner didn't pick the squad. I'm certain Randy gave Lambert instructions as to who he should look to move on (Dunne, Collins, Hutton, Bent, etc) ....

... but the decision to put these players into the "bomb squad" and not use them at all was always Lambert's.

Strange how Hutton said different in an interview.
  • Like 3

Ummmm, no it wasn't

Strange how Hutton said different in an interview.

Did he now? Was it this one from the Mail Online? Or is it this one from the Guardian?

Let me reiterate: There is no doubt that Randy gave Lambert instructions as to who he should look to move on - Hutton included.

However, the decision to not play them at all is apparently Randy's if you believe the Mail Online - or Lambert's if you believe the Guardian.

Since I find it rather amusing that Mail Online think that an owner who didn't turn up to watch a single game last season is charged with picking the team, I'll stick with the Guardian's take on it.

• Like 1

The same was also in The Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-outcast-alan-hutton-4066220?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) and was backed up by Trent who is spot on about Villa, and obviously gets info from somebody at Villa.

If anything I'll back Trent's line all the time.

Hutton in the article said:

" “The only thing I could do was come in and train every day, keep going and that’s what I did. In my contact and meetings with the manager, there was never anything bad between us. It was just a situation we were in and there was nothing we could do about it."

Edited by dodgyknees

they got some bids in pretty quick didn't they. they are in a lot better shape and london based, guess that does alot.

I think its FFP causing clubs to sell rather than it costing too much. theres always people who are willing to blow tons of money to show off.

the top clubs are now cemented in place, man utd might be a bit lower down on the table but their massive income from the fanbase they already have means they can still buy their way back into the top 4. anyone else really doesnt have much of a chance do they?  why would anyone want to buy a club that they know have 0% chance of winning or even getting close to champions league.

im just sad that we cant get a rich person to buy us some success!

i think if lerner really wants us sold its going to have to be at a cut price. and i dont think that person would have the financial power to spend more than we are now. were probably stuck with lerner for the foreseable future

Edited by tomaspg
  • Like 2

Surely results like that one today, and streaks like the one we're enjoying at the moment only serve to make us more visible. Spurs and Newcastle being for sale will also potentially be a good thing for us, given how much more they'd cost. With other clubs now available for comparison, and us (temporarily) riding high, we've got to be increasingly attractive for buyers - plus we're self sufficient.

Quick Randy, sell before it all comes crashing down

Â