Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Still not convinced he's a long term solution but he was pretty damn good tonight and has to go down as another brilliant spot from Lambert and the team. 

Said it a while back, and I'll say it again, he's  going to be a huge, huge player for us next season

• Like 1

Rough around the edges but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Agreed. He had a very good game today. Some slick passing and evasive footwork...can only get better, can't wait for next year.

i remember that kick, the bloke next to me said "bloody hell even the keepers given up"

i think he'll always be a player that shines in certain combinations and could look really poor in others, at the moment delph / westwood and him looks full of potential

The commentators on Sky praised Westwood for his tireless work in midfield, but I think him, Delph and Sylla were all brilliant tonight, with special mention to Sylla. The guy was absolutely everywhere, like an annoying little fly. He made some good passes too. Best game for a lot of the players tonight, especially him.

Clearly came in tonight to put a stop to Sessegnon and you've got to say the tactic worked to perfection.  He was even the player fouled to send Sessegnon off (albeit undeserved).  Did his job wonderfully and is another top find from Lambert's scouting network.  He was at fault for their goal but other than that, he was immense protecting the defence tonight.

Remarkable how he has stepped up from the French 2nd tier and hasn't looked out of place in any of his appearances. Could well be a real find and a snip at 1mill. He was excellent tonight and like Westwood and Delph alongside him worked his bollocks off helping out defensively and getting forward. The three of them worked really well together and we looked more solid. This should be our middle three between now and the end of the season.

Good performance.

I like the high pressing, but I'd like him to have a bit more belief sometimes, he gets into great positions then doesn't want to be the man to play the through ball, or whip in the cross, or feed it into a channel. He took the easy option a tiny bit too often earlier on tonight. Great at 3,4,5-1 up, but longer term I want to see him playing those balls.

Good performance.

I like the high pressing, but I'd like him to have a bit more belief sometimes, he gets into great positions then doesn't want to be the man to play the through ball, or whip in the cross, or feed it into a channel. He took the easy option a tiny bit too often earlier on tonight. Great at 3,4,5-1 up, but longer term I want to see him playing those balls.

Agreed and when he did actually play a long ball it was fantastic, albeit to a slightly offside Bennett. Between the three of them tonight it was a good balance of passing ability and tackling ability, with all three of them going non-stop for the full 90 minutes. Still unsure about Delph and I think we could do with bringing in another midfielder in the Summer, but if they can play together like tonight consistently then our midfield trio looks great.

I think he's looked nervous so far, usually passing backwards rather than taking a risk as he didn't want to lose the ball. He also ducked out of the way of a cross in the first half which I don't like to see. However, when the confidence kicked in in the second half, I thought he was excellent, and his one-touch passing is great to watch. Hopefully that second half will give him (and the others) the confidence going forward to really kick on.

The lads stepping up from Ligue 2 to BPL... I'm not surprised he's trying to keep it simple, I think once he has a pre season with us under his belt he will look even better, I love his energy, the fact he's always trying to win the ball and his passing is quite nice tbh... Once he gets used to being in the more advanced positions and more importantly... his first goal for us he will be a different player! :)

Looks like a cut price Reo Coker to me - not in a bad way - we need a tough guy in the middle.

thats an insult on many counts ;) . From what i have seen he looks to have much more to his game than Reo-Coker

• Like 2

Sylla's not doing Makelele's job.

His position was forward of Delph and Westwood, who were both sitting in front of the CBs.

He's a defensive midfielder positioned forward for the high press. Consequently most of his passes will be backwards to the deep lying playmakers to distribute.

Makelele never had a heat map like this.

4tpxn7.png

Compared to Delph and Westwood, Sylla was on average further forward. We concentrated on the right side where Lowton was.

Â