Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I honestly don't think we look better than last season.

Perhaps you are in denial.

There is no hope. May I suggest snooker as a new Saturday hobby? It's more black and white than football. Ball goes in hole = good.

If over the Christmas period we are left in the bottom three then Lerner is going to be left with yet another important decision. Does he give Lambert more money or if Redknapp is still available, does he admit to yet another managerial mistake and pull the trigger?

He could have spent £20m on proven quality this summer, but he didn't, he bought a right load of old shite. Vlaar's the best of the bunch, and he's strictly lower Premier League quality.

How do you know that he didn't try to sign these "proven quality" players but their clubs weren't prepared to sell.

if anyone thinks Redknapp could work his 'magic' with our current squad, then i think they're alittle insane. We dont have issues with personalities in the squad, and we don't need players brought on side to get the best out of them, the sad thing is the players we have now currently aren't very good.

they will hopefully grow as players, this will happen under Lamberts steward ship. while Harry would come in a sign a similar bunch of player as Mark Hughes has at QPR.

Just watched his post match interview there...wow

Not only are his team starting to play more and more like Mcleish's with the hopeless long balls, he is now watching completely different games than the rest of us similar to Alex last year.

"Some of the football we played was great" , What bloody football is he on about, pass it square, backwards and hoof it long?? That is not football and he knows it,

"We coped really well throughout the game", we weren't coping well at all, they should of scored two headers in the first half, we were very lucky, our fullbacks looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Sometimes managers need to come out and say it's not good enough, and I don't want to wait for a 6 nil drubbing before we hear it.

Ive said this before, but I'll say it again anyway, because I like the sound of my own typing

What has changed from last season is that we have a manager who has a plan, who knows what he is doing and how he wants to do it. We may not agree with the plan, or think it will work, but what is undeniable is that we have a plan that involves football. This is a major step in the right direction. Yes I'm worried, but Ive been worried for a long time, and have ot say Im less worried with lambert than I was with McLeish. why?

We are trying to play progressive, modern football. Progressive football is hard to get right, especially if your players have been brought up playing a different way. Yeah, it would be easier to go Fat Sam stylee and buy a whole bunch of 'proven' premiership cloggers and spend a year or two humping around in mid table before those guys get old, cant be sold because of their lucrative contracts, and well, you know the rest as well as the fans of West ham and Bolton do. We've been down that route before, and it didnt work, because in order to break the top group you have to play the right way. It will take some time to get right, and its possible it may not work because if it was easy everyone would be doing it, but at least we are trying to break the mould, to get out of the rut.

We have to give him time to get it right. it could take a while

Top manager who needs time to sort out the shite that villa have been in the last 2.5 years.

We have to stick with him and see this through come what may

This, we can't keep changing managers, we've got a long way to go and aren't anywhere near where we used to be.

He needs to be given time. More than 1 season!

I'm still behind him.

Ive said this before, but I'll say it again anyway, because I like the sound of my own typing

What has changed from last season is that we have a manager who has a plan, who knows what he is doing and how he wants to do it. We may not agree with the plan, or think it will work, but what is undeniable is that we have a plan that involves football. This is a major step in the right direction. Yes I'm worried, but Ive been worried for a long time, and have ot say Im less worried with lambert than I was with McLeish. why?

We are trying to play progressive, modern football. Progressive football is hard to get right, especially if your players have been brought up playing a different way. Yeah, it would be easier to go Fat Sam stylee and buy a whole bunch of 'proven' premiership cloggers and spend a year or two humping around in mid table before those guys get old, cant be sold because of their lucrative contracts, and well, you know the rest as well as the fans of West ham and Bolton do. We've been down that route before, and it didnt work, because in order to break the top group you have to play the right way. It will take some time to get right, and its possible it may not work because if it was easy everyone would be doing it, but at least we are trying to break the mould, to get out of the rut.

We have to give him time to get it right. it could take a while

Firstly I totally agree with your final sentence but would be interested to know more about why you think "We are trying to play progressive, modern football"

If "progressive" means keeping possession, moving the ball up the pitch and then playing a pass into a danger area that one of the strikers can do something with, the only team that could be defined as progressive yesterday was Fulham. By half time we had 51% possession but only 1 shot on target against Fulham's 5 (iirc). In the 2nd half our "progressive" football amounted to trying to hoof a ball over their back four when our midfield or defenders crossed the half way line.

I don't disagree that "progressive, modern football" is that way forward but we simply do not have players with the necessary skills to play this game in the oppositions half. They will always be perfectly happy to let us knock it around in our half. All that said I don't know what the alternative is.

Firstly I totally agree with your final sentence but would be interested to know more about why you think "We are trying to play progressive, modern football"

If "progressive" means keeping possession, moving the ball up the pitch and then playing a pass into a danger area that one of the strikers can do something with, the only team that could be defined as progressive yesterday was Fulham. By half time we had 51% possession but only 1 shot on target against Fulham's 5 (iirc). In the 2nd half our "progressive" football amounted to trying to hoof a ball over their back four when our midfield or defenders crossed the half way line.

I don't disagree that "progressive, modern football" is that way forward but we simply do not have players with the necessary skills to play this game in the oppositions half. They will always be perfectly happy to let us knock it around in our half. All that said I don't know what the alternative is.

It takes time. Patience is needed. Our players havent got it yet. We're asking players used to playing counter attack without the ball for long periods to suddenly start playing with the ball, its a totally different mentality and you're right, we arent there yet, but its still the right thing to do., the right thing to try. I said at the start we'd be bottom three at Christmas but comfortably safe by May, and I'd stand by that. Lambert is a winner, he has only ever been a winner as a player and as a manager, he knows what he wants to do, but it really isnt easy becasue he isnt working with players of the right quality, yet. But the more he works with them, coaches them, teaches them what they should be doing, the better they will get. One day, the penny will drop, and we'll be 100% better as a team, and the foundations will have built for a strong future

We have a whole season, as long as we're relatively strong at home we'll stay up.

We also dont really have quite the right personnel yet, we are short a couple of proper holding midfielders (as well as others, but thats the most glaring miss). I'd imagine he wants to play Benteke up front on his own, but to do that you need a couple of bulldogs in the middle protecting the back four, and we just dont have a player like that of the right kind of quality, so we're playing this sort of hybrid 4-4-2 thing which isnt quite working at the moment.

Give it time, 8 games is nothing, a drop in the ocean, when compared to the scale of the job

I agree about the plan. He has a philosophy that has worked in the past and he is going to see it through.

On the transfers. I always find it amusing that people say we should has signed x player or y player. This is not FIFA. Players have to sign off on a move just like their clubs do, and a lot of players do not want to live in Birmingham.

Morpheus bangs on about Berba. He wanted to live in London. No way we would have signed him. Same with Carroll or Defoe.

The player PL made the mistake with was Dempsey. PL got butt hurt that Dempsey would rather have signed with the scum and let that affect his decision making process. This is a different team with Dempsey in it. He is exactly the player we are missing, and by all accounts he was there to be had.

Point being, if you are going to criticize the man over signings, at least make them signings that were actually feasible.

It takes time. Patience is needed. Our players havent got it yet. We're asking players used to playing counter attack without the ball for long periods to suddenly start playing with the ball, its a totally different mentality and you're right, we arent there yet, but its still the right thing to do., the right thing to try.

Are the players really used to playing counter attacking football!? Who? Our own youth players haven't been educated under Sid/Kev Mac that way. Vlar, Holman and KEA have all played in Holland. Ireland is a naturally creative ball player. Benteke is part of a unique generation of talented Belgians. Lowton, Bennett, Westwood come from decent academies and I doubt they've been nurtured playing on the counter.

Who does that leave? Gabby?