Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Thanks for the question mate and I'd be very happy to answer it.

No personal dislike of the man at all. I was however very much on the fence when he got the job due to worrying that he might turn us into another Norwich. A team full of energy and spirit but lacking in quality. Yes he had budget constraints at Norwich and again at our club but the expectation levels are and should be higher at our club and consequently we should be looking to buy better quality players than he would at Norwich, which leads me to my main point against him at the moment.

After two seasons fighting the threat of relegation we needed this season to buy the type of quality player who would have given us a better chance of stability within the Premiership this season due to the aforementioned point and also due to the increase in revenue from TV at the end of this season. Instead Lambert has purchased lower league players and other players not up to speed with the Premiership. It's taking an awful risk with our Premiership status to ask all those players to hit the ground running in the Premiership. I believe our results to date are a direct consequence of that needless gamble and it very well may get worse.

nice one, a number of fair points there and I can understand where you are coming from. The past couple of years really has hit us Villa fans hard and I can understand fans wanting more of an immediate fixer but I still think for the long term Lambert is the man for us, over the next few months I hope he can dispel your fears, one thing I do think you are right about is that he should have signed at least 1 quality player that has had a bit of experience in the top flight of English footy but then we don't know he didn't try, maybe Dempsy was that player.

nice one, a number of fair points there and I can understand where you are coming from. The past couple of years really has hit us Villa fans hard and I can understand fans wanting more of an immediate fixer but I still think for the long term Lambert is the man for us, over the next few months I hope he can dispel your fears, one thing I do think you are right about is that he should have signed at least 1 quality player that has had a bit of experience in the top flight of English footy but then we don't know he didn't try, maybe Dempsy was that player.

I disagree with this and think it's very much a fans idea. The league is full of clubs that haven't brought from the prem. It's just a fact that it takes time for them to adjust, and I've seen enough to know they will.

Also think after 8 games it's still to soon to push the panic button, and the talk of switching manager already is utter utter madness.

Redknapp is a short term fix.

He wants older established PL players, would have been the totally wrong move.

Before Lambert was appointed, did we not already have our full quota of young less experienced players in the team or at least trying to break into the first team such as Weimann, Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Bannan, Fonz and so on. So did we then need to bring more young inexperienced players to the club who needed to go straight into the first team?

For me Lambert has got the balance of our transfer policy badly wrong and of those young players he has signed, are they any better than those younger players already at the club?

Current results would suggest otherwise.

Before Lambert was appointed, did we not already have our full quota of young less experienced players in the team or at least trying to break into the first team such as Weimam, Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Bannan, Fonz and so on. So did we then need to bring more young inexperienced players to the club who needed to go straight into the first team?

For me Lambert has got the balance of our transfer policy badly wrong and of those young players he has signed, are they any better than those younger players already at the club?

Current results would suggest otherwise.

None of Weimam, Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Bannan, Fonz are full backs......so bennett and lowton are better yes.

Benteke is better than weiman / fonz.

El ahamdi is better than herd.

Westwood havent seen enough of him to comment so potentially he could be the one that isnt better.

Yes they are better.

The only thing is 'honest_bertie' that our next set of fixtures are very difficult and i am concerned if we keep on losing what effect that will have on the younger players in our team?

Agreed about Dempsey but we needed more. I would have signed Diame and certainly enquired about Johnson and Berbatov although i can't prove that we didn't at least enquire about those players. Lambert has already stated that the chairman had made funds available for more established players but Lambert chose not to.

None of Weimam, Herd, Delph, Baker, Clark, Bannan, Fonz are full backs......so bennett and lowton are better yes.

Benteke is better than weiman / fonz.

El ahamdi is better than herd.

Westwood havent seen enough of him to comment so potentially he could be the one that isnt better.

Yes they are better.

Lichaj and Herd?

I beg to differ on whether Benteke is better than Weiman. Maybe Fonz, maybe?

KEA was signed to replace Petrov not Herd and agreed on Westwood who we haven't seen much of yet which tells it's own story.

That is incredibly debateable.

Agreed, I'd say if you compare Lambert's early managerial record to Harry's, Lambert looks far better. I don't share the hatred of Harry that a lot do but he wouldn't be right for us. He'd be commuting from the south coast and would want to smash the wage budget which is why we are in a hole in the first place. If we stay up Lambert is the man to take us forward using the new scouting system, if we get relegated (I'm 99% sure we won't) Lambert is the man to take us back up. This is a slow process. Again I think his transfer policy was decent but we are still short in key areas, which just shows what a terrible squad we built up over the last 5 years (bar 3 obvious successes). Can't change all of that in one window. If we can sign a bruising central midfielder to play alongside KEA and Stewart Downing for the wing in January we would improve immeasurably, throw in Robbie Keane on loan for his enthusiasm as well and we're sorted. It may take about £15m in January so hopefully Randy can open his chequebook if we are in dire need.

Lambert's going nowhere, even if he got us relegated I think he'd keep his job, and rightfully so. Regardless of who's in charge, we'd been ripe for a relegation battle, if not worse.

Whatever happens this season, we may aswell stick with Lambert and let him build his squad for the future.

• Like 1

Lambert's going nowhere, even if he got us relegated I think he'd keep his job, and rightfully so. Regardless of who's in charge, we'd been ripe for a relegation battle, if not worse.

Whatever happens this season, we may aswell stick with Lambert and let him build his squad for the future.

At least PL would know how to win that league.

But I have every faith in Lambert, and once we get a rub of the green, the we'll be fine and steady.