The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I'd be very surprised if we don't try to find buyer for him first before paying him off, if we can't get transfer fee at least we should be able to offload him with free transfer to a new club.

Edited by Jarpie

Id let Given rot. Demanding a 5 million pay off to save us 4mill over 3 years. Id give him 2 max.

Hes nothing but a big headed Git, from what im lead to believe.

We may not like it but if we are really desperate to release him then he's fully entitled to that amount of money.

We gave him that shit contract and he was a big part of keeping us in the PL under McLeish. That in itself saved us about £120m so while it might slightly stick in the craw to be giving him £5m, he has paid for himself and is entitled to the payoff. We were silly to give him the contract in the first place but at the time we were in need of replacing a stalwart in Friedel. Lesson learned. Job done and everyone moves on. No need to be bitter about it.

You say he was a big part of keeping us up but having seen how Guzan has performed this season it is I think hard to argue that Given did any better than he could have done.

Given is perfectly entitled to the pay off and I think he will get it but it was a terrible signing from the day we did the deal and that should have been obvious to everyone including those 'running' the club.

• Like 1

I remember loads of people having a go at me a couple of years ago for saying Given was a terrible signing.

I can see us paying him off to go myself.

I said the same about Bent

The five year contract was to offset the wages he was on at City.

So he took a paycut on his say 2/3 yrs left on at city per year but by being given 5 years he would get the same money.

That is my understanding.

But I agreed with Trent, I didnt want him here in the first place.  He causes chaos in every defense he plays

You say he was a big part of keeping us up but having seen how Guzan has performed this season it is I think hard to argue that Given did any better than he could have done.

Given is perfectly entitled to the pay off and I think he will get it but it was a terrible signing from the day we did the deal and that should have been obvious to everyone including those 'running' the club.

Beauty of hindsight though, innit Trentinho.  Who could've predicted Guzan's meteoric rise way back then?

Edited by GarethRDR

Beauty of hindsight though, innit Trentinho.  Who could've predicted Guzan's meteoric rise way back then?

And meteoric downfall of Given and I don't think he's looked the same ever since the death of Gary Speed. He was a very good 'keeper though, even with his flaws on set plays and crosses.

exactly. in fairness I cant remember many people that sad when eh was released last summer. be chaos if happened now

May aswell just keep him and wait for a buyer to appear?

Saving ourselves 4mil seems like a good deal, 5mil is an awful lot to be paying him off with I just don't see who will want him? I'd argue that the promoted clubs cant afford him, QPR maybe if Cesar goes, but I don't see it. Celtic maybe if Forster goes, Stoke have that lad from Birmingham if Begovic goes. Only outcome I see is MLS.

When we signed him he was a good player, but he's massively declined. One season he looked good, the next he looked shit, which is rare for goalkeepers. I don't see why we should pay him off. We cant be that desperate for him to leave surely? He's a good backup keeper. if it's Given who's desperate to leave then we should be terminating his contract by mutual agreement. Maybe pay him a million and say good bye. Paying him 5million and doing him a favour seems ridiculous.  

Though, I wouldn't put it past our idiotic board to do this.

Edited by PieFacE

Â