The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

This is hilarious , people are actually suggesting Guzan would have saved the third. you just couldn't make it up.

Yes this is bizarre.

Guzan let in 15(!) in 3 games over Christmas, he's not infallible. He wouldn't have got anywhere near those goals either.

The keeper wasn't to blame for last night.

He did save us more embarrassment when we played Chelsea, i'm, guessing if Given was in goal it would have been double figures.

really? dont recall many of Chelsea goals being set-pieces which is Given weakness though not that he was at fault for any last night

• 4 months later...

couldnt find a thread but this is closest. Rumour on radio in Ireland we will give him 5million payoff in summer

There's a bit about it here.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/05/22/shay-given-set-for-aston-villa-exit/

Goalkeeper set for big pay off to leave Villa Park.

Shay Given is looking to be released early from his contract at Aston Villa according to The Daily Star. The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper has found himself increasingly marginalised at the club despite still having three years left to run on his current deal.

But the goalkeeper’s £60,000 a week wages means that Villa are looking at a compensation deal of £5 million should they wish Given to leave.

Given has the alternative of remaining at the club and seeing out his current deal which would net him an astonishing £9 million.

That further pales in comparison when it is noted that Given actually took a 25% pay cut to join the Birmingham club from his former side Manchester City.

Given has been capped 125 times by his country and is widely regarded as amongst the best goalkeepers in Premier League history.

But his advancing years, and the emergence of Brad Guzan has meant Given’s playing time has been restricted in recent times.

Villa boss Paul Lambert is keen to get his high earning fringe players off the books as he looks to make room for new signings.

Given is likely to be followed out of the Villa exit door this summer by the likes of Darren Bent and Stephen Ireland who have both been deemed surplus to requirements.

Awful signing by McLeish . Had a quick look on Givens twitter, no mention of relief that villa had stayed up, no thanks to the fans or club for all their support . Just a tweet about harper and NUFC.

Oh well the £5m should help him enjoy his mid life crisis a bit more having walked out on his wife and kids for some scrubber .

i think the contract we gave him was stupid but actually signing him was a great move and although it seems like a hell of a lot he's kept us up one year and the transfer fee wasn't too high so i could live with this, if true

Thought it was just Oneill who signed players on extortionate contracts.

Total waste of money this at a time the club was supposed to be hell bent on not wasting anymore

• Like 2

That's awful if true.

But seems a bit strange. I still can't see there being NO clubs who would want to buy him. Ok we might have to sell him at a cut price fee but he's still a decent keeper and I@d think some clubs, especially newly promoted ones, would jump at the chance to have him

Thought it was just Oneill who signed players on extortionate contracts.

Total waste of money this at a time the club was supposed to be hell bent on not wasting anymore

Was going to say something similar.

The contract offered to Given is proof MoN did not leave us in the financial mess that some like to claim.

• Like 1

He made a couple of decent saves at the end of the season, but I've never rated him as a top keeper. He's never had control of his penalty box, which is one if the reason we conceded so many goals from set plays...incidentally like we did against Bradford.

He's also on a deep decline.

Â