The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I can't beleive how anyone thinks this is a good move - at least in terms of getting 3 points on Saturday.

Lambert Demoted Given

Given has zero coaching experience

The two guys ousted are Lamberts trusted right hand men.

Seems to me an attempt to undermine Lambert and get him to walk without paying compensation

I can't see it making that much difference to be honest, Culverhouse was clearly as much use as tits on a nun, so Given and Sid couldn't be any worse.  If anything, having Sid back on the sidelines might gee the fanbase up a bit.

• Like 1

Interesting piece here. Bold stuff i've highlighted which I found interesting.

Given already has his UEFA A and B licences, taken during the breaks from playing and intended as security when he does retire.

‘I see no reason why keepers can’t make managers,’ he said. ‘There are generally less keepers because there is only one in a team but there is no reason why.

‘If you had a philosophy and played in a good team with good players it manages itself then it is a question of getting the best out of people and using man-management skills, which for me is 90 per cent of job, and getting players to run through that brick wall for you. Within that having your own system and way of playing.

‘But it is not rocket science and it doesn’t need to be complicated, It hasn’t changed that much I don’t think.

‘I could do the goalkeeping coaching with my eyes closed and would like more a challenge, I would have no problem putting a session on and the coaching I’ve done has been outfield.

‘I just wanted the option. I didn’t want to go into it at 40 because it can take five or six years to get coaching qualifications. I wanted to have them while I am still playing. I would like to do more coaching but it is getting the time and I think that will improve when I’ve retired.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2552057/Aston-Villa-veteran-Shay-Given-eyes-career-management.htm

• Like 2

I doubt it. A coach would normally be on less than a player anyway, and they wouldn't accept a pay cut. <br />

<br />

I like that Given's been made a coach, because that's what I do on football manager when no team will take him! Stick him on a coaching contract for the same amount of time (but lower wages). Now all we need to do is bring in a few Brazilians and win the League Cup and Lambert will have matched my achievements! :D

• Like 1

All coaches have to start somewhere. I think that if the bullying allegations are correct, a friendly face will be most welcome in the camp and from what I've heard, Shay's a nice guy and could help lift the spirit of the playing squad.

He has his coaching badges so he is qualified to take the role.

We are lucky to still have a qualified interested person around.  He will try and make the most of this chance as he wants to move into coaching especially as his playing career is drawing to a close.

• Like 2

He has his coaching badges so he is qualified to take the role.

We are lucky to still have a qualified interested person around. He will try and make the most of this chance as he wants to move into coaching especially as his playing career is drawing to a close.

My thoughts as well. It isn't often that you'd get your first, first team coaching role at a Premier League club. Will be good experience for him and a great opportunity.

• Like 1

Every football fan knows what a top keeper Shay Given was between the sticks in his prime.

Now, according to reports emanating from  Villa Park & BMH he also provides quality between the ears too.

Giving players the mind set & confidence to go out & compete  at the highest level & being able to motivate them  is a much needed boon & major asset to the club during this difficult, tense & nervy run in.

Well done Shay.

Take a bow son. Take a Bow!

• 4 weeks later...

No call for this random comment IMO.

Very much this. Far too many of these kinds of comments around here. Hardly a fair reflection of all villa fans but it does us no good all the same.

Absolutely no need for it. Best reserved for guys who clearly come in and really don't put in any effort and/or disrespect the club through their actions.

If we didn't have Brad, Shay would most likely still be number one. I thought it was a poor signing at the time given his age and wages, and I turned out to be right, but I'd certainly never have go at him for signing a contact like that.

At least he's likely to have the decency to retire rather than bleed us for the full length of his deal... And even if he doesn't, that's his prerogative and I won't hold it against him - only the guys who gave him the deal

Edited by P3te
  • Like 2

Exactly, it's not Given's fault he got dropped and Guzan has been so good.

His attitude has never been anything other than great.

We should be pissed off at the 5 year contract. But not with Shay. He's done whatever's been asked of him, including stepping into a coaching role which he'd have been perfectly entitled to turn down and carry on earning his money sat on the bench (figuratively of course. He's still sat on the same bench...)

• Like 2

Â