U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Hi Jeremy

Hmmm, when the orange fellow mocks someone by calling names it's bad, but...

I'm happy that you're still onboard the neo-liberal train and are able to recognize vile reds under the bed such as myself ?

• Haha 2

Does anyone have any reliable source about the FBI report?

I have read over the last day or two, in various places, that the report ran to about 1,000 pages (there or thereabouts?), that only one copy was made available to senators, and that they had one hour to read it.

Plainly these things cannot be true, as even the most shameless banana republic would not stoop so low.

But what is the truth of the way senators were apprised of the results of the investigation?  Does anyone have a reliable source?

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Does anyone have any reliable source about the FBI report?

I have read over the last day or two, in various places, that the report ran to about 1,000 pages (there or thereabouts?), that only one copy was made available to senators, and that they had one hour to read it.

Plainly these things cannot be true, as even the most shameless banana republic would not stoop so low.

But what is the truth of the way senators were apprised of the results of the investigation?  Does anyone have a reliable source?

The New York Times 'Daily' podcast today had quite a detailed description. From what they said, everything you have said above is true, except the length of the report (it was much shorter). 

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The New York Times 'Daily' podcast today had quite a detailed description. From what they said, everything you have said above is true, except the length of the report (it was much shorter). 

Yes, I was imagining a report of undrr 10 pages, most of which would be title page, contents, list of contributors...like a poor version of a 14 year old's homework.  I don't see how they can produce 1000 pages without speaking to anyone.

20 hours ago, peterms said:

That's a fair point, but it's also true that "Soros" is used as dogwhistle shorthand by the far right not to refer to one man but to suggest a Jewish cabal exercising unfair, disproportionate and inappropriate influence.  Often used, oddly, by the same people who are quite comfortable with the Israeli state exercising exactly that influence.  It's all a bit confused.

Partially... he is the big public funder on the left, as opposed to say Koch/Adelson on the right. It's not a specifically anti-jew thing when it comes to Soros. He is also Jewish so, see the attacks on that famous interview he gave regarding his actions as a youth or the constant allusion to his robbing of the honest British taxpayer, Agenda 21 or that wonderful globalist slur.

It is certainly confusing! 

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Partially... he is the big public funder on the left, as opposed to say Koch/Adelson on the right. It's not a specifically anti-jew thing when it comes to Soros. He is also Jewish so, see the attacks on that famous interview he gave regarding his actions as a youth or the constant allusion to his robbing of the honest British taxpayer, Agenda 21 or that wonderful globalist slur.

It is certainly confusing! 

Soros being Jewish was used by Orban and his party in Hungary though.

• Like 1

Trickle down forever!

Now, can Ginsberg hang on... even though I find it disgusting that her and that generation point blank refuse to release their grip on the levers of power. Death is undefeated.

edit: veracity unknown

Edited by villakram

On 06/10/2018 at 04:09, peterms said:

That's a fair point, but it's also true that "Soros" is used as dogwhistle shorthand by the far right not to refer to one man but to suggest a Jewish cabal exercising unfair, disproportionate and inappropriate influence.  Often used, oddly, by the same people who are quite comfortable with the Israeli state exercising exactly that influence.  It's all a bit confused.

Interesting that they never mention the Koch brothers and their well documented and far-reaching influence. Politics is basically sports to these people. Everything my team does is great and everything the opposing team does is the worst.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Interesting that they never mention the Koch brothers and their well documented and far-reaching influence. Politics is basically sports to these people. Everything my team does is great and everything the opposing team does is the worst.

I think people this side of the Atlantic are incapable of adding much to the US political debate because it's way beyond anything we could conceive as 'normal'.

Increase access to health care: bad

Protect lone gunmen with semi automatic rifles: good

When those are the vote winning arguments, we're not in the same game.

• Like 2

Â