U.S. Politics

maqroll

Trumps candidacy is a farce. in Scotland now hitting the links and basically saying "**** it". But being ignored by every prominent UK politician on his first international excursion as a presidential candidate is unheard of, and a complete snub for the GOP nominee. Clinton will use global antipathy against Trump, and as long as she isn't more prone to shooting herself in the foot, she'll cakewalk this election. Good for the Supreme Court, bad for everyone else. She'll bomb some poor brown country within her first year.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Trumps candidacy is a farce. in Scotland now hitting the links and basically saying "**** it". But being ignored by every prominent UK politician on his first international excursion as a presidential candidate is unheard of, and a complete snub for the GOP nominee. Clinton will use global antipathy against Trump, and as long as she isn't more prone to shooting herself in the foot, she'll cakewalk this election. Good for the Supreme Court, bad for everyone else. She'll bomb some poor brown country within her first year.

Do you really think that? Trump is going to win Ohio and Florida meaning she needs Pennsylvania to stand a chance. She is just not like-able enough to challenge him for the votes he's going to get from the 'angry blue-collar workers' we keep hearing about. (see white-man van in the UK.) 

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Call me pessimistic, I now feel quite certain Trump will win :/

Most of the people in my circles you would describe as liberals. First they laughed at Trump, then they were entertained, now they have this faux horror at what has happened, but, still no-one seems to be taking him that seriously.

But his supporters are rabid. They are desperate for him to win and think he is the answer to all of their problems. They are completely committed and are going to come out in massive numbers to vote for him.

I'm not sure what terrifies me more, him or the apathy and expectation that Hilary is going to easily wipe the floor with him. She is not Bill - she has zero charisma/charm. 

• Like 1

Incoherent general rage seems to be the power du jour. I think many Sanders supporters will stay at home rather than vote for someone massively in the pay of big business tbf. Some will vote for Trump

if the democrats wanted some kind of action on Gun Control, then why did they reject the two republican proposals in the senate? I am not quite positive about what the proposals entailed, but i am under the impression that it was some actions that would be decent. 

The more I think about this and having been to Omaha Beach this week I get sad about the state of politics in the States. I couldn't make myself vote for either Trump or Hillary.

On 6/24/2016 at 01:54, Rodders said:

Incoherent general rage seems to be the power du jour. I think many Sanders supporters will stay at home rather than vote for someone massively in the pay of big business tbf. Some will vote for Trump

The most recent poll I've seen said:

55% of Sanders supporters will vote Hillary; 22% Trump; 18% Gary Johnson

(though to be fair, and saying this as someone who will vote Johnson, a lot of the Johnson support in these 3-way polls is "anybody but Hillary or Trump"... I'd expect to see, where Jill Stein is on the ballot, that a large proportion of that 18% will vote for her)

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He really is unbelievably thick, isn't he? 

Yes, obviously he's abhorrent, but he is incredibly good at sucking up all of the air in the room (the media 24 hour news cycle.)
I thought this article gave some interesting insight into his character - written by a western journalist who spent many years covering Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/22/donald-trump-hugo-chavez-political-similarities

He was a one-man media hurricane dominating the news with insults and provocations, promises and policy pronouncements. He would tweet at all hours, phone TV chat shows, stage rollicking rallies.

He hired and fired people live on air. Humiliated and taunted foes and bragged about winning. He could be funny and coarse and buffoonish and broke all the rules about presidential conduct.

Over time, it became clear there was genius to it. He sucked up all the oxygen, leaving allies as well as rivals gasping for air. Even if you were sick of him you paid attention.

This may sound familiar as Donald Trump marches towards the Republican presidential nomination. But actually it describes Venezuela from 1999 to 2013 under the reign of Hugo Chávez.

Here is a Washington Post article which links the politics that have led to Brexit with the rise and potential victory for Trump.

Globally, there are strong tides of anti-establishment anger, nationalism and populism that bode poorly for the Secretary of State (Hilary Clinton.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/06/24/daily-202-stop-underestimating-trump-brexit-vote-shows-why-he-can-win/576c89e9981b92a22d2dd3dc/?wpisrc=nl_most-draw7&wpmm=1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He really is unbelievably thick, isn't he? 

I can't decide if he's as stupid as he appears, or if he just knows that the electorate is, and plays up to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't decide if he's as stupid as he appears, or if he just knows that the electorate is, and plays up to it.

just like George W Bush, he knows exactly what he's doing I think.

Â