U.S. Politics

maqroll

It certainly appears that Trump has a big chance of winning, the polls seem to indicate that right now, it's extremely close. Trump has effectively pounced on fears around immigration and terrorism - Hilary on the other hand is a very banal candidate, not particularly likeable and also offers 'business as usual. Plus Trump is also getting increasingly more funding from very rich people with their own vested interests who are sniffing out an opportunity should he win, so I expect the deficit he is in with Clinton's funding to close a little bit more over the coming month. 

Hilary at least has her convention next week so Trump has somewhat played his hand, Clinton needs to choose the right strategy. Tim Kaine is seemingly a safe pair of hands for running mate. They now just need to chip away at the narrative that Trump is unfit for office and hope that is washes with enough people...

• Like 1

So Democrat Convention doesn't seem to have started too smoothly. 

I can't help but wonder in the years ahead whether we'll look back on all this and laugh. Or whether it'll raise a tear or two as I go through it in history textbooks with my kids homework. 

Not sure,  out of the Trump or Clinton nominations I would actually vote for Michele Obama.  Anyone else think she is a far more impressive person that Trump or Clinton put together ?

If I see her speak she is engaging and I want to listen.  Top bird IMO who would get things done,  not enough experience ? (Bush / Trump / Reagan).  

If we re-made Back to the Future,  replace the Reagan line with Trump,  it is more ridiculous. 

World is already a tinderbox all it needs is a mad man...

I still can't believe in a country with more than 20 President related assassination attempts and more than 300 million guns those two stats haven't become part of a story about this hillbilly.

It is so totally surreal at this point...like is this actually happening...We've become a third rate country, what a farce.

Sad days when Hillary Clinton just scrapes by Donald Trump for president. 

Things are so messed up right now, it's dizzying.

Interesting to see people running around for historical parallels for Trump. I don't think that is much use. He's a truly modern candidate in that he takes bits and pieces from here, there, and everywhere and is more concerned about selling his brand than his policy because policy can change on a whim when you have no real principles. Even the worst US presidents had something driving them, however questionable, whereas Trump is running because Trump is a straight up, grade A narcissist and sees 'President Trump' as the ultimate gratification.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Trump should feel so honored. 

He grew up with a driver and a butler. 

sshhhhhhh

Shush, don't go saying that. He's a man of the people, the anti establishment, self made, one of us candidate. Getting things done because if he doesn't do it for himself, nobody else will.

If we can't trust Trump to snatch the west back from 'them' who can we trust?

Plus, he's funny.

5 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Interesting to see people running around for historical parallels for Trump. I don't think that is much use. He's a truly modern candidate in that he takes bits and pieces from here, there, and everywhere and is more concerned about selling his brand than his policy because policy can change on a whim when you have no real principles. Even the worst US presidents had something driving them, however questionable, whereas Trump is running because Trump is a straight up, grade A narcissist and sees 'President Trump' as the ultimate gratification.

Well said. As if my country couldn't degrade itself even more..We've been hijacked by total psychopaths...like this is seriously bad

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

sshhhhhhh

Shush, don't go saying that. He's a man of the people, the anti establishment, self made, one of us candidate. Getting things done because if he doesn't do it for himself, nobody else will.

Plus, he's funny.

Won't be funny when he's giving the orders to launch nukes...

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

sshhhhhhh

Plus, he's funny.

Define : "Them" ?,  I am with you though,  there is no one to trust in high office anymore.

I don't agree that he is funny either.  He has the comedy timing of a release of Mustard Gas in a Astma clinic.

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I still can't believe in a country with more than 20 President related assassination attempts and more than 300 million guns those two stats haven't become part of a story about this hillbilly.

Trump performing well in the polls. John Hinckley just released.

Hmm...

4 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

What about Ross Perot?

Wealthy guy. Shot from the hip. Not a professional politician. Denounced NAFTA (before it was signed).

(Not a narcissist, true.)

Arguably, Trump is a third party candidate that has run by running off with a top-two party. Perot actually ran as a third party candidate.

The main difference, I think, is that Trump knew a third party candidate would find it difficult to win in a separate third party.

But Gary Johnson is actually running for a third party and polling decently, even in a Trump year.

Â