U.S. Politics

maqroll

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

A fifth cop has died now...

Stupid waste of life no matter what side they are on.  Land of the Free and brave my arse, so far shooting unarmed people or shooting them from 100's of yards away.  That might be free but not that brave IMO.

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I am as jaded about shootings in the US as I am about car bombs going off in the Middle East. 

I think they call it 'Compassion Fatigue' or something like that. 

Other names are available ;)

No sadly I agree, you become numb to it. Things like Paris shock but a mass shooting in the U.S. or a bomb in Bagdad feel like daily or weekly events and are treated as such.

This latest event in the U.S. will change nothing sadly although in true American style the Police will probably get even more gun happy with the part of the population they think are on the planet for target practice.

At least this time the NRA can't say this wouldn't have happened if the victims had had guns.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

At least this time the NRA can't say this wouldn't have happened if the victims had had guns.

I would not be so sure,  If the Police had assault rifles instead then maybe the people would not drive and make the police shoot them.  I mean the guy had a broken tail light ffs.  Provocation in the NRA eyes I suppose.  I understand what you mean though about fatigue of this type of news,  I feel kinda bad about it as these are real people.  I wonder what the tipping point is though,  snipers etc.  You can see in the future whole cities losing it in the US at the moment.

The numbers of shootings in the US now have grown to the point of becoming simple statistics. It's hard to care much about numbers.

Saying that, this is absurd.  The whole thing. The black men being gunned down in ridiculous circumstances, and now someone deciding the way to help this situation is to further develop an instinct in police officers that they are targets. Absolutely absurd. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Major shit hitting the fan.  This might sound stupid, but can you legally own a sniper rifle over there?

AR-15 military assault rifles are legally available in many states, some of which allow for open carry. The dude in the camo t shirt and rifle in Dallas had that right. When the DPD put his photo up on their Twitter feed calling him a suspect, they signed his death warrant. Good thing the guy turned his rifle over to police, who let him walk away. That dude was probably minutes away from having his head blown off by pissed of police.

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

This might sound stupid, but can you legally own a sniper rifle over there?

Yep. There's no such thing as a 'sniper rifle' really, it's just any rifle with some sort of scope to assist with aiming.You can buy one in any town in America. 

You can buy something for a few hundred quid in England that could be described as a sniper rifle if you have a firearms license.

Edited by Davkaus

There are many states where you are able to buy a rifle that is specifically designed to destroy vehicle engines and other machinery at distance, or kill from extremely long distance.

Famously California banned guns of it's type, and the company behind the weapon, Barrett, threatened to simply pull all sales and services from the state including work undertaken for government agencies.

Mini guns aren't specifically illegal either (although the reasoning makes sense - there's so few of them and they're so expensive noone is going to own one therefore no need to legislate).

Of course the NRA position is effectively that the gun is sacrosanct so they simply will not allow any significant element of gun control. So even completely sensible laws, like preventing terrorism watchlist individuals buying firearms, are shot by the NRA and they're big pockets.

You'd have more sympathy if the vocal support of gun ownership in the US was more honest about it. They'll never admit they just really like their loud dangerous penis extending toys. Instead it's protection or civilian militia etc etc.

34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Yer man on The Last Leg was suggesting that the laws in Dallas had changed recently to be more lax with regards to carrying weapons.

No idea whether that's actually the case.

It is. Texas recently allowed 'open carry' which is basically what it sounds like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

The head of the Green Party in the US has offered to step aside to let Bernie Sanders run for president.

It would be fun, but he'd need Clinton to trip up badly, or get indicted.

On 7/8/2016 at 21:57, maqroll said:

It would be fun, but he'd need Clinton to trip up badly, or get indicted.

and she has now stated that Snowden would be pardoned and potentially offered a position in her government (perhaps jumping the shark a little on the 2nd part).

Jill Stein: http://www.jill2016.com

Â