U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm not so sure about that. It looks like if anyone is guilty, they're attached to the Trump campaign and his immediate staff, meaning nobody on Capitol Hill is worried, unless Trump has a card up his sleeve. But he's too dumb for that.

I'm perhaps ignorant of US politics, but in the UK if there was proof a Labour or Tory PM was tainted in such a way they had the resign, the stink would be attached to the party so intrinsically they would do everything to prevent the story touching them, so unless something catastrophic caught them off guard they would carefully manoeuvre things to make the problem go away with the minimum of fuss and keeping it at arms length.

Id assume the US parties are the same? Or would only the administration be tainted?

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm perhaps ignorant of US politics, but in the UK if there was proof a Labour or Tory PM was tainted in such a way they had the resign, the stink would be attached to the party so intrinsically they would do everything to prevent the story touching them, so unless something catastrophic caught them off guard they would carefully manoeuvre things to make the problem go away with the minimum of fuss and keeping it at arms length.

Id assume the US parties are the same? Or would only the administration be tainted?

The issue is the US system is the three branches of government are independent. So while, in theory, Trump should taint the GOP, there's every chance he won't.

He's having a map of the election result put up in the White House apparently. Obsessed.

And his team isn't happy that, after letting the Russians into the Oval Office and bringing a photographer with them, that the Russians published the photos... What else were they going to do with them?! They don't involve enough piss for the file, allegedly.

Edited by Chindie

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

We'll see- this is all pretty unusual. I'm sure the GOP rank and file are thinking about their strategies. The longer they publicly defend Trump, the less credibility they have, and they open themselves up to defeat in 2018. This latest threat to Comey about "tapes" might just seal it for some. Monday will be very interesting I think.

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

The end is near for Trump. "Art of the Deal", don't make me laugh. This has been the most high profile personal **** up I've ever seen. He might have been able to weasel his way out of this if he just STFU. But he's so monumentally stupid, he's gone and put himself in pretty serious legal trouble with a prison sentence involved if it's as bad as it's looking. The new FBI head made it sound like they've got something on him. It's gonna be a really long weekend.

Fingers crossed.

I can't even begin to surmise the past 48 hours.

It's sadly compelling, as  @Awol said, in the same way someone on reality TV having a breakdown is compelling.
But I'm sick of it. The man is poison, and the GOP are all opportunist, spineless clearings in the woods. A country needs leadership. He's threatened to stop all White House press briefings FFS.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, maqroll said:

The end is near for Trump. 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm enjoying watching his supporters explain this away. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but aren't these sentiments kind of mutually incompatible? I mean, that his supporters are still in the media making excuses for him - however desperate - seems to me prima facie evidence that he's not going to be impeached any time soon. There's no publicly-available evidence of any wrongdoing yet. 

I think there's a bit of 'letting the wish be the father to the thought' in this thread. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Remember all our musing earlier in the thread about whether Trump would pivot to become statesmanlike after the election :crylaugh:

I fess up. I was totally wrong on that one. Bigly so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

A country needs leadership. He's threatened to stop all White House press briefings FFS.

The country has leadership - Trumps job is making sure that the population don't notice it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The country has leadership - Trumps job is making sure that the population don't notice it.

This is from April 24th.

As of Thursday, the White House had yet to put forward the names of candidates for 475 of the 554 key positions that require Senate confirmation, according to the Partnership for Public Service, a nonpartisan group that advises incoming administrations.

The longest list of empty desks waiting for nominations is at the State Department, which has more than 100 vacancies, including the dozens of ambassadors appointed by the Obama administration who were fired by Trump on Inauguration Day.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/24/help-wanted-trump-administration-still-has-hundreds-of-jobs-to-fill.html

I know what you are inferring, but just the people who run the nuts and bolts of government have not been appointed or nominated. Dozens of ambassadors are yet to be appointed FFS.

This administration is a sh^t show.

Â