U.S. Politics

maqroll

Forgetting Russia, he publicly threatened Comey with 'tapes'. A fact that the WH are quickly back-pedalling from and not commenting on.

He's hugely unhinged and deflecting to democrats does not cut the mustard.

31 minutes ago, villakram said:

That he had to be fired

He was fired after requesting more resources for the investigation into the Russia ties. Some people might view that as somewhat suspicious.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He was fired after requesting more resources for the investigation into the Russia ties. Some people might view that as somewhat suspicious.

I am unaware that this report has been confirmed. The acting FBI director explicitly denied any knowledge of this, and the story has now changed to a face to face request with the DoJ deputy, not anything through official paperwork channels.

Edited by villakram

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Forgetting Russia, he publicly threatened Comey with 'tapes'. A fact that the WH are quickly back-pedalling from and not commenting on.

He's hugely unhinged and deflecting to democrats does not cut the mustard.

"James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"

A famous FBI director once kept quite the journal on various Washington/powerplayer folks. Interpreting this Trump tweet as purely implying that he has tapes is interesting given the long standing tradition of mocking the grammatical/logical quality of his tweets. Perhaps it is Comey who has tapes...

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

The democrats and others who claim some interest in the problems facing society would do well to think about those things and how they might be changed rather than this political grandstanding. 

I see, so maybe they should just drop all inquiries into Trump's likely criminality and focus on what exactly? This is the biggest political scandal in Washington since Watergate, and you think the opposition is grandstanding? There is a madman in the White House, I think that takes precedence over some congressman's pet project back in his district.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villakram said:

I am unaware that this report has been confirmed. The acting directly explicitly refuted this story.

I am unaware that the acting director explicitly refuted the story. But even if he did, it does very little to assuage the concerns of the public, The FBI, Democrats, and some members of the GOP that Trump and his staff are destroying the public trust in the integrity of the office.

Edited by maqroll

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I am unaware that the acting director explicitly refuted the story.

Andrew McCabe has publicly stated that he is unaware of such a request. It seems that Comey had at most pitched this idea if even that occurred.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Andrew McCabe has publicly stated that he is unaware of such a request. It seems that Comey had at most pitched this idea if even that occurred.

Right, so he didn't explicitly refute the story, he just said he wasn't aware of it. Sounds like a smart non-answer by a newly appointed acting FBI director caught up in the middle of a political shitstorm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I am unaware that the acting director explicitly refuted the story. But even if he did, it does very little to assuage the concerns of the public, The FBI, Democrats, and some members of the GOP that Trump and his staff are destroying the public trust in the integrity of the office.

I agree that public trust in their leaders is important but congress has an approval rating of 10%. Trump is hardly excelling in this aspect :wacko:

43 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

he publicly threatened Comey with 'tapes'

This, in and of itself is a crime, amazingly admitted to by Trump himself.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Witness Intimidation- Confirmed

Obstruction of Justice- Likely

Treason- Possible

An independent investigation with subpoena power should be able to determine whether or not he and/or his flunkies are guilty of obstruction and/or treason.

This whole fiasco demands an obsessive amount of scrutiny, not business as usual by the only people who can initiate a proper investigation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump’s decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

“This is code-word information,” said a U.S. official familiar with the matter, using terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. Trump “revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies.”

• Like 1

Sounds treasonous to me...I'm assuming the ally in question is Israel, who have regularly reported to their American counterparts that Trump is compromised. What a mess.

9 hours ago, villakram said:

I am unaware that this report has been confirmed. The acting FBI director explicitly denied any knowledge of this, and the story has now changed to a face to face request with the DoJ deputy, not anything through official paperwork channels.

Perhaps he wasn't expecting to be fired or to need an evidence trail for the request.

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

Sounds treasonous to me...I'm assuming the ally in question is Israel, who have regularly reported to their American counterparts that Trump is compromised. What a mess.

Jordan, apparently. As with the ratings obsession the man is so deeply insecure he can't help looking for approval - even from adversaries.

Must be some serious daddy issues underlying this craziness.

Â