U.S. Politics

maqroll

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This has to be the beginning of the end surely.

I think we said that when the pussy grabbing story came out. How many times have we thought it since?

He also said that I think we should let the Hillary thing go (who knows if he meant it). Not everything is him being evil.

Worth pointing out the lack of discussion of the huuuge Saudi arms deal, what good fortune this industry does have.

Edited by villakram

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've been pretty skeptical about all of this in this thread, but to be fair, this is the first time there's been the intimation that there's some real documentary evidence of wrongdoing out there. If these notes exist, and they can be proved to be contemporaneous to events, this seems like we're getting closer to being able to persuasively make the 'obstruction of justice' case. 

This is me officially upgrading how seriously I consider this (with the caveat that I think we're still a long way from anything actually happening, if at all). 

5 hours ago, choffer said:

I think we said that when the pussy grabbing story came out. How many times have we thought it since?

If he had said "Grab em by the word removed", Clinton would be president.

Yep, looks to me like the beginning of the end for real this time.  The TYT network have an interesting take on it.  Please note I do know they are massively anti Trump therefore biased as hell, but the analysis makes sense to me.  (BTW I love The Young Turks, it is a fabulous channel IMO)

Edited by Straggler
spelling
  • Like 1

And the messaging begins to change from the White House again.  A day or so we were hearing "This is not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the president and Mr. Comey". It seems like maybe it was accurate in terms of the words so they are looking to make the impact of the worlds lessen.  Sort of "yes he said it, but what he meant was not what it sounds like". 

I will not be surprised if the next time Trump is interviewed or tweets on this if he openly admits that he did ask Comey to stop the investigation because it was based on fake news or something similar. 

I'm off to the bookies to put money down on him not making it to 200 days as president.

There's only one president ever in American history that has withdrawn from office - and he had pretty staggering evidence against him. I'm sorry to break it to you folks but Trump is going to stay for 4 years. He'll then probably lose his nomination to someone right of him in the republican party like Ben Shapiro or similar and the merry go round starts again. He's bad alright, but America's had plenty of worse presidents than him. Social media and the connectivity of the globe keeps politicians on their toes now and he's bound to readjust after this latest session of flak.

I wish it wasn't true but I don't see that stubborn man stepping down.

10 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

There's only one president ever in American history that has withdrawn from office - and he had pretty staggering evidence against him. I'm sorry to break it to you folks but Trump is going to stay for 4 years. He'll then probably lose his nomination to someone right of him in the republican party like Ben Shapiro or similar and the merry go round starts again. He's bad alright, but America's had plenty of worse presidents than him. Social media and the connectivity of the globe keeps politicians on their toes now and he's bound to readjust after this latest session of flak.

Not sure.

Given the global context of instability at the moment I could imagine some crisis flairing up (by accident or design) that he mismanages spectacularly, leaving the US and/or some of its major allies alles uber der platz and him out on his arse in disgrace.

Or maybe Comey will get him first, or something else entirely. Either way I agree with those who don't think he'll last the first term.  

• Like 1

I don't think there's any "if" about it. What is really interesting is the "when" and "how". 

I'm tipping Mike Pence to be the Brutus to Trump's Cæsar. 

21 minutes ago, Awol said:

Not sure.

Given the global context of instability at the moment I could imagine some crisis flairing up (by accident or design) that he mismanages spectacularly, leaving the US and/or some of its major allies alles uber der platz and him out on his arse in disgrace.

Or maybe Comey will get him first, or something else entirely. Either way I agree with those who don't think he'll last the first term.  

Yes this speaks to a point that I read the other day that even though this administration has lurched from one crisis to another in the last 100 days they have all been self inflicted. 

14 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Then you keep your money in your pocket.

That said, I might keep mine in my pocket too.  Odds on Trump resigning are 15/8 and it is only 2/1 that he will be impeached in his first term (odds from paddy power).

Erdogan in town to see Trump and apparently:

'Erdoğan's bodyguards' in violent clash with protesters in Washington DC

Nine people were hurt and two arrests were made during an altercation at the Turkish ambassador’s residence in the US capital during a visit by Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

According to witnesses, a brawl erupted when Erdoğan’s security detail attacked protesters carrying the flag of the Kurdish PYD party outside the residence. A local NBC television affiliate reported Erdoğan was inside the building at the time.

Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said the altercation broke out between two groups but he didn’t elaborate on the circumstances. He said two people were arrested, including one who was charged with assaulting a police officer.

“All of the sudden they just ran towards us,” Yazidi Kurd demonstrator Lucy Usoyan told ABC, adding that she was attacked by a pro-Erdoğan supporter.

“Someone was beating me in the head nonstop, and I thought, ‘Okay, I’m on the ground already, what is the purpose to beat me?’”

The altercation came the same day that Erdoğan met Donald Trump at the White House. The State Department declined to comment.

...more on link

I hate to think what will happen when that Duterte bloke rolls up. :)

Putin trolling so hard

“If the administration of the United States deems this possible, we will be ready to provide a transcript of the Lavrov-Trump meeting to the U.S. Senate and Congress,” Putin told reporters during a news conference with visiting Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni. Putin added, “it will happen if the U.S. administration wishes so.”

Putin must be wetting himself laughing at the USA right now.  It's like Putin is Shaggy and Trump is Rikrok and they are doing the international politics version of "it wasn't me"

44 minutes ago, snowychap said:

'Erdoğan's bodyguards' in violent clash with protesters in Washington DC

I've just watched the video. They weren't messing around :blink:

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

That's what Erdogan's henchmen think about democratic protest - in another country!  Imagine what they are doing inside Turkey. Pigs. 

It's not exactly a huge step up from how the police over here operate far too frequently.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

What's your barometer for worse and which Presidents?

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

What's your barometer for worse and which Presidents?

To name a few:

James Buchanan that refused to challenge slavery and essentially led to USA going to civil war with itself even though half of his country was rioting and demanding change.

Warren G Harding even worse when it comes to being corrupt and letting his friends and close coworkers essentially drain the treasury. Played golf and poker while America went into the toilet under depression and prohibition. Had friends in the mafia and in the industry that he essentially was unable to say no to.

Andrew Johnson for resisting the good work that he been done with the early abolishment of slaves and resisting the 14th amendment bill.

Franklin Pierce for instigating wars and trying to annex Nicaragua and Cuba to get more slaves.

I can go on for a pretty long time here. The point is that now a days an American president won't get away with horrible legislation or anything else because there's checks and balances. Trump may be unpopular but he's got people helping him be less of a proverbial amoeba.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

Â