U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Curiously checked out Obama's last press conference to see the difference and my god. 1:50 really stood out as a stark contrast to what we witnessed yesterday.

Honestly it breaks my heart.  As a UK citizen I know I am giving way too much of my time to thinking about US politics, but I cannot look away.  For me Obama was the most inspirational politician of my lifetime.  In no way do I see his time in power as perfect (I have enormous issues with some of the stuff he did or didn't do) , but as a human being I like and respect the man and the example he and his family set.  You know the question "if you could have dinner with one famous person who would it be?".  I would never had an answer for that as I never wanted to meet my hero's for fear of bursting the image I had of them.  Obama changed that, as I would have him and his family over for dinner and look forward to it. 

Then you get Trump.  It's like breaking up with Kelly Gale and hooking up with Waynetta Slob. 

What really goes on to boggle my mind is that Trump has an approval rating of around 40%.  Whilst that is setting a record for the worst approval rating for any president ever at this early a stage of the term, it still suggests that 40% of America thinks that what he has done so far is A ok with them.  I guess some people never reach a tipping point, 25% of Americans still approved of Nixon during and after the Watergate scandal....

How anyone can watch the Trump press call and not worry about his capacity to do the job is beyond me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Straggler said:

What really goes on to boggle my mind is that Trump has an approval rating of around 40%.  Whilst that is setting a record for the worst approval rating for any president ever at this early a stage of the term, it still suggests that 40% of America thinks that what he has done so far is A ok with them.  I guess some people never reach a tipping point, 25% of Americans still approved of Nixon during and after the Watergate scandal....

How anyone can watch the Trump press call and not worry about his capacity to do the job is beyond me.

There is a serious problem in America with educational standards and mental health care. That is all I can conclude from this and just browsing through the social media linked with Pro-Trump. People absolutely 100% that he has not lied about anything, even the Electoral college figures, despite complete empirical evidence to the contrary.

But whilst on education, Trump went to Kew-Forest private school, it charges fees of up to $37000, how can you look at Trump and send your kids there? Let alone pay for that education. 

The UK media's obsession with Trump trivia gets on my tits something terrible.

The question is whether this obsession, is driven by an actual public appetite for it or the media itself.

I find it impossible to believe people actually find it fascinating.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

19 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The UK media's obsession with Trump trivia gets on my tits something terrible.

The question is whether this obsession, is driven by an actual public appetite for it or the media itself.

I find it impossible to believe people actually find it fascinating.

We're all utterly bored and this is the latest distraction

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The UK's media's obsession with Trump trivia gets on my tits something terrible.

I find it impossible to believe people actually find it fascination.

They may be catering to just me.  I am obsessed with it and I consume media about Trump in a way that I have not really done before about anything (well since the No Mans Sky debacle anyway).  But yeah, I am waking up in the morning and going straight to my phone to see what diabolical plot has been hatched whilst I slept.  Oh there was the January transfer window, I obsessed over that too.  There is a possibility that I am watching Trump so closely to avoid looking at Aston Villa at all.  As depressed as I am about the state of the world, the alternative football players we have are possibly doing a worse job than Trump.

• Like 1

Putting this here because of the Breitbart connection.

Link

Newspaper reports of a mass sexual-assault by refugees and migrants in Frankfurt, Germany, on News Years Eve were ‘completely made up’ it has emerged.

The claims were made just days ago in a right-wing German tabloid and repeated in the Daily Express in the UK.

The Daily Express alleged that a ‘mass sex attack’ by over 900 drunk refugees led to women being sexually harassed.

It even had the same quotes as the German tabloid (Bild) that first run the false story:

One of the victims, Irina A., 27, said: “I can be happy that I wore sheer tights. They [the migrants] grabbed me under the skirt, between my legs, my breasts, everywhere. […]

Local pub owner Jan Mai said: “When I came in, the whole place was full with a group of around 50 Arabs. They did not speak German, drank our guests’ drink and danced towards them. The women asked me for help because they were being attacked. The mood changed completely.”

But the quotes were fabricated and the story was made up.

German police looked into the incident and say the allegations are “without foundation” and are investigating those who claimed to witness the incident.

The story was also deleted from the Bild’s website and its online editor in chief apologised for it yesterday.

The police told the press:

The interrogations of the witnesses, guests, and staff have created considerable doubts about the portrayal of events. […] A person allegedly affected by the actions was not in the city at all when the crime occurred.

But the Express is still carrying the story on its website and didn’t even bother checking its veracity.

(UPDATE: The Express has now changed the headline, to reflect the police denial, and some of the story text.)

This isn’t the first time a right-wing media outlet has run a story on crime by refugees that turned out to be false.

The far-right conspiracy site Breitbart falsely claimed that Muslim migrants had set alight Germany’s oldest church.

Other outlets have claimed a refugee who took a selfie with Angela Merkel had links to terrorists – a claim that also turned out to be false.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Putting this here because of the Breitbart connection.

Link

That German paper should be mercilessly sued. A retraction and apology is not enough, they did their damage and they knew it.

Another example of fake news, the way the term was intended before it got hijacked by Trump and his cult. They are the main consumers of fabricated news, and even when they find out it's fake they don't really care and continue to believe it. Fake news to them simply means news I don't agree with. It's all horrifyingly Orwellian.

Looks like it is all about to kick off again

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/17/trump-immigration-roundup-national-guard

The Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 national guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by the Associated Press.

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana. Four states that border on Mexico are included in the proposal – California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas – but it also encompasses seven states contiguous to those four: Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

To add a little balance, Spicer has denied this is a White House document and if Spicer says it is so then who am I to call his word into question.

Edited by Straggler
balance

Don't worry, it is a real leak, but it's fake news.  Whilst it has never been discussed, it may have been an option and Obama used to do the same thing so why are we complaining now, and it's a fake, but the people responsible for leaking this thing that isn't real should be arrested because it is a real crime and 306 electoral colleges, wow who new we had so many schools, Hilary Clinton, bad dudes hombre.

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

cannot look away

That's about the size of it.  There's a kind of horrified fascination about seeing all this unfold, like watching someone eat their own feet or something.  But with a worse ending.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Looks like it is all about to kick off again

Is this one of those leaks that looks absolutely awful, then something half as bad actually happens?

So what actually happens looks more acceptable, but it actually isn't.

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

Honestly it breaks my heart.  As a UK citizen I know I am giving way too much of my time to thinking about US politics, but I cannot look away.  For me Obama was the most inspirational politician of my lifetime.  In no way do I see his time in power as perfect (I have enormous issues with some of the stuff he did or didn't do) , but as a human being I like and respect the man and the example he and his family set.  You know the question "if you could have dinner with one famous person who would it be?".  I would never had an answer for that as I never wanted to meet my hero's for fear of bursting the image I had of them.  Obama changed that, as I would have him and his family over for dinner and look forward to it. 

Then you get Trump.  It's like breaking up with Kelly Gale and hooking up with Waynetta Slob. 

Wow, Kelly Gale.  Thanks for the heads up :wub:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

One of my personal favourite WTF moments of many WTF moments with Trump was when he claimed parts of Chicago are worse than the war zones of the Middle East.

The stuff that falls out of the tangerine shit gibbon is quite staggering.

That's actually very very true, unfortunately. Murder rates in Chicago are at pretty much unprecedented levels.

Â