U.S. Politics

maqroll

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Curiously checked out Obama's last press conference to see the difference and my god. 1:50 really stood out as a stark contrast to what we witnessed yesterday.

Don't let his platitudes and cool demeanor fool you-

Under Mr. Obama, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have spied on reporters by monitoring their phone records, labeled one journalist an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case for simply doing reporting and issued subpoenas to other reporters to try to force them to reveal their sources and testify in criminal cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opinion/sunday/if-donald-trump-targets-journalists-thank-obama.html?_r=0

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Think about that for a moment will you.

war zones... that would be the counties or formerly known as Libya, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan. The comparison is reasonable, in that parts of a large city in the United States are as out of control as some parts of these countries. I'm not sure what point you are tying to make is. To be more explicit, I was trying to make the point that sometimes the things he says are more of the "we don't speak of these things in front of polite company" offensive rather than of the batshit crazy offensive variety.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

war zones... that would be the counties or formerly known as Libya, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan. The comparison is reasonable, in that parts of a large city in the United States are as out of control as some parts of these countries. I'm not sure what point you are tying to make is. To be more explicit, I was trying to make the point that sometimes the things he says are more of the "we don't speak of these things in front of polite company" offensive rather than of the batshit crazy offensive variety.

Sorry, I think trying to suggest parts of Chicago are worse than war zones is monumentally stupid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

I think interpreting what Donald Trump says "literally" is stupid.

I can't figure out if this is meant to be a defence of the liar, Donald Trump or not.

Edited by Davkaus

That each individual has to make the decision whether or not to take the most powerful man in the world literally when he says insane shit shows the sad state of the planet we live on.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That each individual has to make the decision whether or not to take the most powerful man in the world literally when he says insane shit shows the sad state of the planet we live on.

..............And the fact that we've put up with it for so long. The mask is slipping with this moron.

I doubt many people take him literally, outside the more credulous of his own supporters.  What's hard to get used to is the idea that words are not being used to convey concepts and statements which can be verified, but are more a way of filling a space while something else is going on.  Something about staging, presentation, posturing, I'm not entirely clear what.  But the words are almost redundant, and the fact that he speaks like he's doing a poor live translation from Armenian or alien-speak doesn't seem to change how he is perceived.

It's all very odd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villakram said:

I think interpreting what Donald Trump says "literally" is stupid.

Ah right, far better to view his ramblings like a magic eye picture. Look through the words for the hidden image.

I see a sailboat.

Oh and bile spilling shit gibbon who talks utter rubbish until challenged then either claims 1) he didn't say it 2) it's fake news or 3) someone told him to say it so it doesn't count.

He has seemingly tried to say a city that has an admittedly serious crime issue is worse than an area of the world in which war is raging, barrell bombs are being dropped on civilians, rape is used as a weapon of war and ethnic cleansing, genocide,  slavery and the use of chemical agents are daily occurrences.

It is a ridiculous comparison to make on any level. You tried to justify the comparison but now you are trying to back away from that and say Trump was making some general point about the things people don't want to talk about. 

I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion but even if you are right, which I see no reason to believe, it's still a very stupid way of Trump raising the issue.

• Like 1

Given the significant alarm displayed about the lack of opposition to the Tories in the UK, it's very much worth noting that things are in an equally bad if not worse way over here. You might be wondering how this could be so given the behavior of the current POTUS, but the DNC is in a bad way right now. This is a nice piece with Greenwald on Fox (ya, I know, but it's worth listening to).

• Like 1

So even Fox reports that Trump knew about Flynn's illegal phone calls.

President Trump was given a comprehensive summary of the contents of his former-national security adviser Michael Flynn’s phone calls with the Russian ambassador prior to Flynn’s resignation, a source told Fox News.

Trump did not see the actual transcript of the communications, but the summary was delivered by people outside the White House. Trump has maintained that he believes Flynn did nothing wrong.

"Mike was doing his job," Trump said at a news conference Thursday. "He was calling countries and his counterparts ... I would have directed him to do it if I thought he wasn't doing it. I didn't direct him, but I would have directed him because that's his job."

Flynn was forced to resign Monday over discussions he had with Russian officials before Trump took office.

Flynn denied in an FBI interview last month that he had discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia with Moscow's ambassador to the United States, contradicting transcripts of intercepted communications between the two men, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

14 hours ago, jon_c said:

But whilst on education, Trump went to Kew-Forest private school, it charges fees of up to $37000, how can you look at Trump and send your kids there? Let alone pay for that education. 

The school had very little to do with creating Trump. His father was his biggest influence as he has said many times. A racist, bigoted manipulative liar would be one way to paraphrase Fred's life (sound familiar?) But don't take my word for it there's plenty of information in the public realm for anyone else to draw their own conclusions about Trump Sr.

Â