U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, villakram said:

I think interpreting what Donald Trump says "literally" is stupid.

The muslim ban, the wall, for every piece of new legislation introduced getting rid of 2 old ones etc.

Implementation of his campaign promises "literally" word for word. 

Why would anyone be stupid for not interpreting what Trump says/has said literally.

I'm heading to El Paso Texas on Sunday for a week of work and I'm fascinated to meet and talk to people. It is a flash point town for the illegal immigration issues which have been at the center of the election & presidency. 

I went to a restaurant yesterday in Santa Fe New Mexico which is traditionally a very liberal enclave. We were greeted by a large notice pinned to the hostess station extolling the virtues of cracking down on illegal immigrants and supporting Trumps policies to the  hilt. People here on every table in every eatery are talking politics, politics & politics.

• Like 1

People with border property have a legitimate grievance but ICE raids that deport working mothers whose kids are American is not going to solve the issue, it's just going to cause chaos and anger. Maybe the scared and racist will be happy with this situation, but it's a dead end.

• Like 1

That press conference was surreal. We need to get this trade deal done fast before the man is sectioned. 

Also interesting to see Merkel and the old soak Juncker (who knew the EU was a NATO member?!) refusing the US demand for Europeans to honour their treaty obligations by the end of the year. 

The Americans are correct to be kicking off over this so it'll be very interesting to see where it leads.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

That's still a huge far cry from undermining the press in public and deliberately trying to ride the public's trust the media. He actually just tweeted that the press are the enemy of the people.

At the very least without going in to the depth of claiming that the media are the enemy of the people you can skim the surface and see that the most powerful man in the world is using social media to scream like a **** child with this FAKE NEWS 

it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the content of what he's saying (of which I'd say pretty much everyone here disagrees) the manner in which he's doing it is dangerous enough

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh look, more enemy of the people rhetoric.

This time from the leader of the nation.

Not a fascist though.

Anyone that loves facts, freedom, and believes in the American Dream gets their news only from the unfailing Brietbart, and directly from so-called President Trump.

How is it dishonest to not say it's one of the most effective press conferences of all time? Forget about how dangerous that is, it didn't even make sense. I don't think he even understands the term dishonest.

To go back to that Obama presser, the media aren't supposed to be sycophants. And castigating them at every turn for not being sycophants is dangerously close to facism.

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How is it dishonest to not say it's one of the most effective press conferences of all time? Forget about how dangerous that is, it didn't even make sense. I don't think he even understands the term dishonest.

To go back to that Obama presser, the media aren't supposed to be sycophants. And castigating them at every turn for not being sycophants is dangerously close to facism.

Obama knew what was coming and was laying the ground work in that last press conference, his topic of choice was no coincidence.

Obama laid quite a few traps for Trump on his way out of office which Trump has predictably charged headfirst into. 

• Like 1

Here's an idea for Mr Trump.

Lock them up!

Major-General John A. Drx,

Commanding at New York:

Whereas there has been wickedly and traitorously printed and published this morning in the New York World and New York Journal of Commerce, newspapers printed and published in the city of New York, a false and spurious proclamation purporting to be signed by the President and to be countersigned by the Secretary of State, which publication is of a treasonable nature, designed to give aid and comfort to the enemies of the United States and to the rebels now at war against the Government and their aiders and abettors, you are therefore hereby commanded forthwith to arrest and imprison in any fort or military prison in your command the editors, proprietors, and publishers of the aforesaid newspapers, and all such persons as, after public notice has been given of the falsehood of said publication, print and publish the same with intent to give aid and comfort to the enemy; and you will hold the persons so arrested in close custody until they can be brought to trial before a military commission for their offense. You will also take possession by military force of the printing establishments of the New York World and Journal of Commerce, and hold the same until further orders, and prohibit any further publication therefrom.

A. LINCOLN.

Â