U.S. Politics

maqroll

He's thrown Palestine under a bus. Thrown out the two state solution and decided to let a genocidal maniac that he calls "Bibi" decide what's best for a nation full of human beings that he detests. The 1967 agreement has been the preferred option for every single country in the world for my lifetime with the exception of two, it's only US veto that has prevented it becoming some form of legal restraint on Israel.He's ditched that agreement in an afternoon. The one state solution. Arsehole.

I presume this takes us nearer to the inevitable dismantling of Iran?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq, Navy blanketing the Arabian Sea. The MIC is licking it's lips in anticipation for this one. Hard not to think this was the Neoconservative end game all along.

Edited by maqroll

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Russian warship off the coast of Connecticut right now...something has to give soon, seems like it's all coming to a head. The country is cracking apart. Thinking about buying a shotgun and some other WSHTF gear!

Calm down... it's just a signals vessel. Warship is a little on the tabloid side of things. The US felt perfectly ok sailing into the Black Sea and South China seas too, simple tit for tat.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A helpful rebuke to all the sudden experts in psychological conditions, thanks (I don't consider my previous charge of narcissism to equivalent to 'distance diagnosis', but if others do, I cop to hypocrisy). 

I think everyone agrees he's an extreme narcissist, this guy is just saying it's not a clinical condition in fhis instance, and by implication he can't plead insanity as a defence.  (Bring on the treason charges).

Not that he'll ever read it, but I imagine the bit that would have stung most is "too obvious to be interesting".  Because Donnie is endlessly fascinated with himself.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's thrown Palestine under a bus. Thrown out the two state solution and decided to let a genocidal maniac that he calls "Bibi" decide what's best for a nation full of human beings that he detests. The 1967 agreement has been the preferred option for every single country in the world for my lifetime with the exception of two, it's only US veto that has prevented it becoming some form of legal restraint on Israel.He's ditched that agreement in an afternoon. The one state solution. Arsehole.

I don't necessarily see this as a very bad thing. I mean he has simply pointed to a lack of clothing.

The 2-state solution is long dead and we've all been playing along for far too long, e.g., the West Bank has been de-facto annexed for some time, while the Gaza Strip is pretty much an open air prison. Moving to a one state solution, Israel will be forced to move to a system of super-explicit apartheid, rather than the simple apartheid they have going right now. With the ongoing dislike of Trump, global opinion will continue to move against what they are up to. In addition, demographics are destiny and a one state solution will be the end of the Jewish state of Israel. How will Israeli citizens react to this?

None of this helps the Palestinians any time soon, who will continue to be shit upon.:(

Trumps entire performance for the Israel conference was hopeless.

His talk on the two state solution was... absurd. Go read it. It's horrifying. Setting aside the implications, it's just a window into a mind that hasn't got a clue, any concept, any minor facet of understanding of what he's saying. 

The actual content, the little there is, should be read by Palestinians as the stamping out of any embers of hope they have. It's done. They lost. There's barely enough land left to give them a country regardless, and nobody is going to let them anyway. It's wrong, but it's done. They can only hope that Israel can subsume them and eventually the Israeli government will be unable to ignore the fact the demographics make a Jewish state an impossibility.

Or they get openly purged.

Either way, Palestine is an historical entity.

24 minutes ago, villakram said:

I don't necessarily see this as a very bad thing. I mean he has simply pointed to a lack of clothing.

The 2-state solution is long dead and we've all been playing along for far too long, e.g., the West Bank has been de-facto annexed for some time, while the Gaza Strip is pretty much an open air prison. Moving to a one state solution, Israel will be forced to move to a system of super-explicit apartheid, rather than the simple apartheid they have going right now. With the ongoing dislike of Trump, global opinion will continue to move against what they are up to. In addition, demographics are destiny and a one state solution will be the end of the Jewish state of Israel. How will Israeli citizens react to this?

None of this helps the Palestinians any time soon, who will continue to be shit upon.:(

Yes, this is a rare occasion when 'heightening the contradictions' is actually a real thing rather than just a catchphrase for Trots. 

I can't quite believe he's gone and done it. Everybody knew that the two things you couldn't say about Israel were 'I don't believe in the two state solution' and 'I don't believe in the peace process'. Without them as mirages on the horizon, Israel will increasingly come to be seen as an apartheid state. 

I suspect the Israeli public will be thrilled in the short term, as the country has taken a political hard-right turn in recent years. But Netanyahu will probably be privately devastated. Most analysts think he thoroughly enjoyed the Obama years, as he could pander to the renascent far right wing by posturing indignantly against Obama. Trump poses a problem - how to moan and complain about a man who conspicuously gives you everything you say you want?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

and remember the government of the United States of America was one of the very final to abandon apartheid South Africa.

Well as a nation founded on slavery, exercising widespread economic feudalism with black people as the victims after the notional abolition of slavery, and exhibiting de facto apartheid for much of its existence in large parts of its territory, perhaps that's not too surprising.

• Like 3

I keep hearing people going on about Palestine, disgraceful conflicts of interest, concerning ties to Russia, undermining of the US intelligence services, recklessly reading and discussing classified information in his own restaurant...Yet nobody is talking about his big, strong hands, and what an impressive landslide victory it was. :( 

Edited by Davkaus

23 minutes ago, villakram said:

and remember the government of the United States of America was one of the very final to abandon apartheid South Africa.

I was going to post similar, if it's one state then the Arabs have to be discriminated against in terms of the franchise for Jewish Israelis to maintain political control. 

Stand by for the next (and maybe the last) Palestinian Intifada by the summer. 

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Calm down... it's just a signals vessel. Warship is a little on the tabloid side of things. The US felt perfectly ok sailing into the Black Sea and South China seas too, simple tit for tat.

I know, I was sort of posting for effect :ph34r:

• Like 1

It's not my best subject (or one I even claim to know about) but from my understanding the US hasn't exactly been a force for good. 
It would appear that very little progress has been made and while I always assumed Obama did a good job (politically) to try and bring peace, facts show otherwise.

Having read the full transcript and watched the meeting too it's clear that Trump and Net are not yet on the same page. The way Trump turned to him and said "all human life" plus that Net was clearly trying to educate/propaganda Trump was really interesting. Trump said some controversial things but I'm not sure he really has a grasp on the issue.
Also the body language between Trump/Net is v different than between Obama/Net; I wonder how/whether that will change.

Â