U.S. Politics

maqroll

Sam Bankman-Fried got sentenced earlier. Guilty of one of the biggest fraud cases in US history, about $10bn, across multiple charges, for which he hasn't shown any sign of remorse and maintains hasn't done anything wrong, got 25 years. Worth noting the comment by a former prosecutor that someone moving a kilo of heroin, worth about $30k, would expect to get a heavier sentence.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I am surprised Trump has still not returned to Twitter, sorely he will have a much bigger audience for his bullshit agenda there.

Yes, it's painful. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I am surprised Trump has still not returned to Twitter, sorely he will have a much bigger audience for his bullshit agenda there.

Twitter are a rival to his truth social platform which he just floated for something like $6billion. He doesn’t want to promote a rival company. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Twitter are a rival to his truth social platform which he just floated for something like $6billion. He doesn’t want to promote a rival company. 

It limits his audience a fair bit and he can't just win the election with his cult members.  It's why I still can't see him winning again whatever the polls say.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

It won’t make national waves for a while but a potentially crucial day today in Florida. 

The Florida Supreme Court ruled that the legislature is allowed to uphold a 15 week abortion ban and thus pass a 6 week abortion ban. 

In turn, they also allowed a vote for allowing abortion to viability to be added as a state amendment. The threshold is high - 60% of voters need to approve it. 

But in a state that Trump won by 2.3% in 2020, a veritable landslide for Florida’s standards, will the single amendment swing it enough the other way on what has been a slam dunk for Dems?

Maybe not at the end of the day, but will cause Trump to spend more money than he really needed to in his “home” state. 

On 30/03/2024 at 15:54, Genie said:

His outrageous posts on Trump Social all get reported in the news anyway, so his exposure isn't limited to his own subscribers.

General Krulak among this group..

Over a dozen retired four-star admirals and generals, and former secretaries of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard banded together on Monday to file an amicus brief to the Supreme Court urging that Donald Trump’s claims of presidential immunity be shot down.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/ex-generals-band-together-to-fight-trumps-immunity-claim-in-court-would-threaten-the-militarys-role-in-society/

• Like 2

Precious memories.

Bet President Biden didn't do anything as impressive as this yesterday. 

Donald Trump stars at the solar eclipse

Speaking on Fox News, host Carlson said: "The entire country saw at least 60% of the sun covered up by the moon.

"The President saw it. But in a move that is not a complete surprise, he looked entirely at the sun without any glasses, perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/politics/us-election/donald-trump/fox-news-hosts-ludicrous-praise-of-trump-eclipse/

• Haha 1

Talk of Trump and Truth Social being in a lot of trouble both with the sharp decline in the share price and Trump talking it up to shore up the share price with false claims

Truth Social is a meme coin. Four milly in rev, doesn't come close to turning a profit and usage is barely worth mentioning at the ipo valuation.

It has the Trump name along with people trading attention and emotion, and that combined with a low float means you could see crazy volatility and high valuations (backed by nothing) in the short term.

Honestly I'd short it with all the money I have if Trump supporters weren't so fanatical.

But bottom line the likely market value in six months combined with the cliff means it does very little for him in his current predicament.

It's weird to me how Biden (and allies) can be so up for defending the country with the most advanced air defense shield in the world from the same volumes of drones and missiles which Ukraine gets lobbed at it in a week, but yet refuses to go to the same steps for Ukraine.

The drones are made by the same people, Russia and Iran are intertwined at this point yet Biden can only defend the country that is being attacked by the country without nukes. I feel like his foreign policy is slipping all over the place (not that the republicans are any better). He's letting Putin show China and any other country that if you just get a nuke you can do whatever you want. It's a dangerous foreign policy from the world's largest and most powerful military.

We could in example extend the black sea patrol corridor and shoot down Russian ballistic missiles with a trajectory towards Poland/Romania or other allies. That would alleviate the pressure on Lviv and many of the Western cities. We could do it without killing any Russian soldiers and we'd only be shooting down metal and chips. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's weird to me how Biden (and allies) can be so up for defending the country with the most advanced air defense shield in the world from the same volumes of drones and missiles which Ukraine gets lobbed at it in a week, but yet refuses to go to the same steps for Ukraine.

The drones are made by the same people, Russia and Iran are intertwined at this point yet Biden can only defend the country that is being attacked by the country without nukes. I feel like his foreign policy is slipping all over the place (not that the republicans are any better). He's letting Putin show China and any other country that if you just get a nuke you can do whatever you want. It's a dangerous foreign policy from the world's largest and most powerful military.

We could in example extend the black sea patrol corridor and shoot down Russian ballistic missiles with a trajectory towards Poland/Romania or other allies. That would alleviate the pressure on Lviv and many of the Western cities. We could do it without killing any Russian soldiers and we'd only be shooting down metal and chips. 

Eh? Biden’s fault? Are you completely missing the House GOP blocking every avenue taken by the White House and even the Senate?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Dems going to great lengths to get help to Ukraine…

But like some of his fellow GOP colleagues, Johnson not doing anything…

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Dems going to great lengths to get help to Ukraine…

But like some of his fellow GOP colleagues, Johnson not doing anything…

They went to great lengths for Israel. For Ukraine they’re leisurely walking at a pace akin to that of the US while England was being terror bombed and Hitler was killing 2 million people from minorities a year before they were attacked themselves. FDR wanted to help but was hamstrung by the same clownery we now see in congress.

To think that one orange clown and his tiny minority of under-clowns in congress can let a horrible dictatorship do whatever they please with a European ally, just goes to show that the US aren’t reliable anymore.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Eh? Biden’s fault? Are you completely missing the House GOP blocking every avenue taken by the White House and even the Senate?

Biden has backed Israel to the hilt, even with their clear war crimes, lastly with intercepting lots of drones for them. Did that need to go through congress?

If you’re Ukraine you can’t but help feel like the US aren’t even out of first gear with their aid, and recently back to park.

Edited by magnkarl

9 hours ago, magnkarl said:

To think that one orange clown and his tiny minority of under-clowns in congress can let a horrible dictatorship do whatever they please with a European ally, just goes to show that the US aren’t reliable anymore.

Israel is a key US ally and probably the country the US is most closely linked to. Ukraine is a former Soviet nation whose war occupies and exhausts a country that is in opposition to American aims, the war in Ukraine is useful to the US, the protection of Israel is one of its most sacred tenets. If there's one thing I think we can rely on, it's that the US will remain true to its own interests, it's the most reliable thing in geopolitics.

• Like 2

Â