U.S. Politics

maqroll

Hopefully Iran attacking Israel means that the vote in congress will go through. The take away from recent conflicts is that everyone needs a nuke. 

Thanks Russia.

Edited by magnkarl

The US has had a long history of picking and choosing which battles to fight. Not usually for the "right" reasons but for other geopolitical aims. There are far reaching consequences of Israel/Iran getting into a deadly and most likely nuclear conflict - one that the Biden admin and I'm sure other admins, have weighed into their calculus when deciding to defend from the Iran missile barrage. That other ME countries decided to participate in the defense, in one way or another, is indicative of the potential firestorm should Israel and Iran finally go after each other.

The US did not exercise their aerial defense capabilities to the same extent in the Arab Spring, the Syrian Civil War, the still ongoing Yemeni conflict, and danced around the Balkan massacres in the 90s. Between two Iraqi wars and one Afghanistan war, it has been repeatedly shown that any extended conflict is a bottomless pit of funds, death, and with little defined objective successes.

That they have thrown their resources at Israeli defenses vs Ukraine is more indicative of the risk calculation they are making. It is terrible for Ukraine that they are coming in 2nd to Israel because there will be eventual desperations (mass civilian casualties, dirty bombs/nuclear threats, mass famine and genocide) as either Ukraine loses ground or Russia tires out. This paradigm is being played out in Europe as many countries are increasing their military presence to levels unseen in 30-40 years since the Balkan conflicts.

This idea that the US can defend Israel, defend Ukraine, and somehow placate the sedition occurring domestically is a fantasy. The US is a weakening power, as all empires go, and is having to choose from it's already overextended reach and unfortunately Ukraine is coming second to Israel.

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The US has had a long history of picking and choosing which battles to fight. Not usually for the "right" reasons but for other geopolitical aims. There are far reaching consequences of Israel/Iran getting into a deadly and most likely nuclear conflict - one that the Biden admin and I'm sure other admins, have weighed into their calculus when deciding to defend from the Iran missile barrage. That other ME countries decided to participate in the defense, in one way or another, is indicative of the potential firestorm should Israel and Iran finally go after each other.

The US did not exercise their aerial defense capabilities to the same extent in the Arab Spring, the Syrian Civil War, the still ongoing Yemeni conflict, and danced around the Balkan massacres in the 90s. Between two Iraqi wars and one Afghanistan war, it has been repeatedly shown that any extended conflict is a bottomless pit of funds, death, and with little defined objective successes.

That they have thrown their resources at Israeli defenses vs Ukraine is more indicative of the risk calculation they are making. It is terrible for Ukraine that they are coming in 2nd to Israel because there will be eventual desperations (mass civilian casualties, dirty bombs/nuclear threats, mass famine and genocide) as either Ukraine loses ground or Russia tires out. This paradigm is being played out in Europe as many countries are increasing their military presence to levels unseen in 30-40 years since the Balkan conflicts.

This idea that the US can defend Israel, defend Ukraine, and somehow placate the sedition occurring domestically is a fantasy. The US is a weakening power, as all empires go, and is having to choose from it's already overextended reach and unfortunately Ukraine is coming second to Israel.

The US did eventually step in against Milosevic though. There's still hope.

I'm not saying that the US should defend Ukraine like they did Israel (though it would likely save tonnes more lives than what Iran's barrage would kill), I'm saying that they should get some of the thousands of tanks\ifv's\apc\airframes and other military kit going to Ukraine even if it is lend lease or via loans. It just makes the US look silly when they have 400 bradleys and 200 abrams mk1 rusting to hell in a desert while Ukraine have shown extremely capable with both. The US is turning a blind eye to their traditional enemy commiting genocide, kidnap, torture and extreme breaches of rules of war when they could even turn a profit on just helping Ukraine with 80-90's kit they don't use. It's sad as hell. It's even more sad that the US public have let itself slip to a place where they believe in the disinformation Russia is spreading via the MAGA-crew.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The US did eventually step in against Milosevic though. There's still hope.

I'm not saying that the US should defend Ukraine like they did Israel (though it would likely save tonnes more lives than what Iran's barrage would kill), I'm saying that they should get some of the thousands of tanks\ifv's\apc\airframes and other military kit going to Ukraine even if it is lend lease or via loans. It just makes the US look silly when they have 400 bradleys and 200 abrams mk1 rusting to hell in a desert while Ukraine have shown extremely capable with both. The US is turning a blind eye to their traditional enemy commiting genocide, kidnap, torture and extreme breaches of rules of war when they could even turn a profit on just helping Ukraine with 80-90's kit they don't use. It's sad as hell. It's even more sad that the US public have let itself slip to a place where they believe in the disinformation Russia is spreading via the MAGA-crew.

I agree, both on supplying Ukraine and the effectiveness of Russian spies in the MAGA crew. 

The irony, for all the talk on immigration, is that the red scare has swept over the GOP and is doing Russia’s bidding to the detriment of the US and NATO. 

• Like 1

The Donald seems ever so keen to talk himself into a cell - he's being told off by the Judge in the pre-trial of his latest case for muttering at potential jurors and playing to the gallery.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Donald seems ever so keen to talk himself into a cell - he's being told off by the Judge in the pre-trial of his latest case for muttering at potential jurors and playing to the gallery.

At least he’s awake today :D 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I agree, both on supplying Ukraine and the effectiveness of Russian spies in the MAGA crew. 

The irony, for all the talk on immigration, is that the red scare has swept over the GOP and is doing Russia’s bidding to the detriment of the US and NATO. 

What do you think is the chance of the discharge petition going through? How long can Maga-Mike keep up this idiocy? Does it take another Iranian attack for him to buckle?

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

What do you think is the chance of the discharge petition going through? How long can Maga-Mike keep up this idiocy? Does it take another Iranian attack for him to buckle?

It's an interesting contradiction for the GOP because no matter what, there's a strong contingent of warhawks and national defense types. With the resignations bringing the majority to a razor thin amount, it would only take a few defections for the discharge petition to go through.

I think most of them are doing a wait and see approach with MAGA-Mike to see if the separate Ukraine funding bill is a trap or actually a good faith effort to pass it. It's genuinely hard to tell with the margins as thin as it is, but not only on the GOP side. Could see a few Dems taking umbridge with a combined discharge petition that would include Israel as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJBOB said:
8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It's an interesting contradiction for the GOP because no matter what, there's a strong contingent of warhawks and national defense types. With the resignations bringing the majority to a razor thin amount, it would only take a few defections for the discharge petition to go through.

I think most of them are doing a wait and see approach with MAGA-Mike to see if the separate Ukraine funding bill is a trap or actually a good faith effort to pass it. It's genuinely hard to tell with the margins as thin as it is, but not only on the GOP side. Could see a few Dems taking umbridge with a combined discharge petition that would include Israel as well.

Yeah, while I believe up to 195 signatures (including some Republicans) as of this morning they are still 23 signatures short of the required amount and a number of Democrats have issues with it because of the Israel part.

This is from a few days ago…

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

But will he turn words into action?

I think he’s been given assurances from certain Democrats that they would vote across the aisle to keep him in the job when he faces the inevitable no confidence vote. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Against a lot of odds - I think they might actually pass aid for Ukraine.

= give their money to their own economy.

It’s crazy how much politics got in the way of this. 

On 16/04/2024 at 22:11, bickster said:

At least he’s awake today :D 

Some of the photos and sketch work really go in on him…

IMG_1988.jpeg

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

The bill for Ukraine will go through tomorrow, people tell me. Great news. Hope America wakes up and tosses MAGA out on its ass.

How fast will serious weaponry get to Ukraine once this bill is finally passed?

Have they got it all ready to send immediately or will they then spend weeks deciding and sending it?

Â