U.S. Politics

maqroll

Honestly, if you encounter a teenager carrying an assault rifle, what on earth makes you think running at him is a good idea? These people died in part because of their own stupidity. 

Obviously I haven't sat through the entire trial so my opinion is moot, but it does look to me like they had a legitimate case for self defence. He was attacked and acted within the laws of the state. If the law allows you to carry an assault rifle in public then it should be expected you are going to use it to kill somebody, otherwise what's the point?

It should be America on trial here, not Kyle Rittenhouse. 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

It does set a fun precedent going forwards. Many Americans love the idea of the Good Guy with a Gun intervening in a shooting, but in this basis if a Good Guy with a Gun tries to stop a shooter and gets shot themselves, it's self defence on the shooters part.

Brilliant.

The words removed sewn up his future political/lobbying industry career though.

He's 17 years old. Most of us did incredibly stupid shit when we were 17. Most of us here, fortunately, don't live in a country where taking an assault rifle to a riot and shooting people in self defence is perfectly legal. Not only is it legal, it is advertised as your god given right. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Honestly, if you encounter a teenager carrying an assault rifle, what on earth makes you think running at him is a good idea? These people died in part because of their own stupidity. 

Obviously I haven't sat through the entire trial so my opinion is moot, but it does look to me like they had a legitimate case for self defence. He was attacked and acted within the laws of the state. If the law allows you to carry an assault rifle in public then it should be expected you are going to use it to kill somebody, otherwise what's the point?

It should be America on trial here, not Kyle Rittenhouse. 

I did watch most of the trail and the prosecution was unbelievably dodgy. Based on the evidence it was obvious he’d walk. 

• Like 2

One of the very few times gun laws were tightened up, was when the Black Panther movement started using the law in the same way others were. Keeping it legal but making it obvious they could defend themselves with lethal force.

spacer.png

In a ‘normal’ society it would be ridiculous to suggest that perhaps that exercise needs to be revisited to see if it could be brought up to date.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not at all. 

Then I’m not surprised that you are surprised. Media coverage constructed a completely false narrative, as did the prosecution.

It looked highly likely at one point that the judge would rule it a mistrial with prejudice, based on the malfeasance of the prosecution.

Best thing I’ve watched on screen for years, really gripping. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ah my bad … the way the BBC framed the story I just assumed they were !

Of course, you’re supposed to. Also, he didn’t find those two convicted felons (1 x serial pedophile and 1 x domestic violence), he was running from them as they tried to kill him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

(1 x serial pedophile and 1 x domestic violence), 

As I’ve posted previously it’s absolutely the right verdict and it shouldn’t have gone to trial but I wish people would stop bringing this up. It’s not relevant. 

• Like 1

Few people looking on quite envious wishing they could travel around with a semi automatic military grade weapon looking to ‘defend themselves’.

A mad, bad, place.

Thankfully it’s a lot harder for excitable little boys to play soldier in this country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â