U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

That's a huge jump from last year.  Would it suggest that a large number of Republicans were put off by Trump last year and would be if he got the nomination again next time?  Obviously there are still lots of odious Republican politicians out there that can do damage themselves though.

Yes, I think it's exactly that. Trump ran behind republican congressional candidates in most races last year, he was a big drag on the ticket. He certainly doesn't seem to have done anything in his post-presidential career to suggest he's considering moderating to appeal to the median voter. Him running again is therefore Democrats' best chance at this stage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, though I should also stress there's a difference here between what I know the Democrats should say and do about fuel prices and inflation on the one hand, and what I personally think on the other. I mean, *my* experience of people bellyaching about fuel prices has mostly not been the sort of poor person who is struggling to afford a cup of coffee, and more suburban clearings in the woods who spent their lockdown cash on a Chelsea tractor

Take a bow sir, epic!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Or chasing you down saying they're going to kill you, hitting you with a skateboard, stomping on your head or even pointing a pistol at you. **** pussy should have just beat them all up like Bruce Lee. 

Do you realise how absurd it is that you think it's fine for a person to shoot someone dead because "they said they're going to kill me" or "they hit me with a skateboard"?  What the actual ****? :D 

Edit:  For clarity, it's obviously "fine" when being faced with a gun yourself.  That's a reasonable assumption that your life is in danger.

Edited by bobzy

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I think it's exactly that. Trump ran behind republican congressional candidates in most races last year, he was a big drag on the ticket. He certainly doesn't seem to have done anything in his post-presidential career to suggest he's considering moderating to appeal to the median voter. Him running again is therefore Democrats' best chance at this stage. 

Maybe... but if the economy keeps this up for too much longer, then the disaffection will stain the dems well into the 2024 election cycle. Biden doesn't have a lot of control over things here, but much as Covid did for Trump, this long overdue inflation impulse may do for Biden/Harris. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Maybe... but if the economy keeps this up for too much longer, then the disaffection will stain the dems well into the 2024 election cycle. Biden doesn't have a lot of control over things here, but much as Covid did for Trump, this long overdue inflation impulse may do for Biden/Harris. 

Yeah, to be clear I don't think Dems are a shoo-in even against Trump, just that he's the weakest plausible opponent for them. Definitely could still lose.

Need to say as well that a lot can change between here and 2024 of course. I remember it looked impossible that Obama would win re-election after the GOP wave in 2010 while the economy was still in the toilet. 

• Like 1

Rittenhouse is going to walk. As @maqrollalready said, that tells you more about the American legal system than anything else.

It might sound like I'm being pedantic, but it's worth pointing out that it was a semi-automatic AR-15, not a fully auto AK-47. I only bring this up since it's batshit crazy to me that even if it had been the latter, there are a fair few states where it wouldn't be illegal to carry it around. And to me, therein lies the problem.

On 15/01/2021 at 19:44, bickster said:

Ohn things got interesting with Jacob Chansley. A new document was filed today, asking that he not be released from custody because a) he's a flight risk b) he intends to return for the inauguration c) he's a menatilst and on and on but that's not it. It's this bit...

Chansley Detention memo

First time I've seen that put out from an official source

Sentenced to 41 months in jail. I imagine he must feel very pleased with his life choices.

• Like 1

So Kamala Harris will momentarily take over the show while Biden undergoes a colonoscopy today. (Sure there must be some very inappropriate and wildly racist jokes in there somewhere.)

Anyway, congrats to her and a historical happening.

Can anyone please give me any kind of plausible explanation as to why this is anything but a complete and utter shambles of a verdict? 

Edited by El Zen

6 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Can anyone please give me any kind of plausible explanation as to why this is anything but a complete and utter shambles of a verdict? 

It’s actually probably the correct verdict based on the trial and evidence. 

He absolutely shouldn’t have been there but he was attacked first, he shot only those attacking him and even the survivor he shot said he attacked him first. 

In truth it going to trial in the first place is probably the biggest shambles. Followed by the prosecutors and then the judge himself. 

• Like 4

It does set a fun precedent going forwards. Many Americans love the idea of the Good Guy with a Gun intervening in a shooting, but in this basis if a Good Guy with a Gun tries to stop a shooter and gets shot themselves, it's self defence on the shooters part.

Brilliant.

The words removed sewn up his future political/lobbying industry career though.

Â