U.S. Politics

maqroll

In my opinion, one of the most absorbing and erudite sociopolitical journalists of our time has written about Kyle Rittenhouse and I am absolutely here for it. 

The Kyle Rittenhouse furor is a fascinating illustration of how US politics has become mired in self-consuming tribalism. It shows how non-conversations, non-thinking now posture as serious political and social engagement. And it demonstrates once again the success of a practice beloved of elites the world over: offer bread and circuses to keep the masses from seeing the big picture and rising up.

Let me preface this post by pointing out that I have very little interest in what is being treated as the substance of the Rittenhouse story. It seems glaringly obvious that 17-year-olds – or anyone else, for that matter – should not be wandering around with big guns, or small ones, whether in moments of calm or during highly charged confrontations. That is simply insanity.

But that is not, apparently, the consensus in the United States, where for historical reasons guns are invested with a strange moral and legal sanctity for much of the population.

The descendants of the armed settler colonists who went to the Americas to steal the resources of the native people feel compelled to continue the tradition of bearing arms, long after the surviving natives were locked away in reservations.

The descendants of the new “Americans” who rebelled against their mother country, shaking off the yoke of British imperialism through force of arms, cherish their weapons in case they are needed once more to face down the tyranny of an elected government or their fellow citizens.

And the descendants of the white founders of the country, many of them slave owners who needed arms to keep their black chattel enslaved, demand the right to continue carrying guns to avert any threat from the descendants of those slaves.

This is America’s version of sanity. This is America the brave.

Click the link for more - https://www.mintpressnews.com/kyle-rittenhouse-not-enemy-product-of-outrage-media/279066/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It's slightly misleading but equally depressing. The shooting and homicide is very localized to the South Side of Chicago. It's always been the "meanest part of town" as Sinatra sang, but since the 60's starting back with the Dan Ryan Expressway, red lining and on and on, it's been made and kept a ghetto.

Watched something not that long ago about Chicago and, whilst true that the South Side is the generic worst area, it seemed that a couple of areas west of the city were the actual worst.  East and West Garfield Park I think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In my opinion, one of the most absorbing and erudite sociopolitical journalists of our time has written about Kyle Rittenhouse and I am absolutely here for it. 

Click the link for more - https://www.mintpressnews.com/kyle-rittenhouse-not-enemy-product-of-outrage-media/279066/

But what does he think about Remi Garde?

• Haha 1

One of the first Jan 6th defendants to plead guilty gave a real-remorseful-like statement when she did so, then went on Fox News the day after to say she didn't regret a thing, and the judge who gave her probation is getting his revenge by giving much stiffer sentences to everyone else who comes through his court:

On 22/11/2021 at 15:40, OutByEaster? said:

The reporting on the BBC suggests that the driver was "fleeing another scene" rather than having set out to attack the parade - is that the BBC covering their backs at this stage?

The larger problem in America at the moment is that every crime seems to come with the immediate need to paint the accused into one of the US's opposing culture groups, with the crime seemingly taking second place to the moral media "victory" of the left or right. 

It's hard to look at the state of things there at the moment and see a happy ending.

lets just say it how it is, America is a complete basket case mess and its difficult to see how it will get better rather than worse in the short to medium term, the polarised politics and group think are really scary there right now imo, the world is literally sleep walking in to 1984

Unfortunately, i think the UK is also on this trajectory, and possibly many other countries that i dont follow in depth.

I know the world is getting wappy when i see a speech from Putin about individual freedom, looking after the interests of the majority and wider public etc, and i completely agree with nearly every word he said (in that specific speech).

Â