U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Don't worry about that - reading this shit will make you realise how **** up the country is:

"When a 21-year-old Native American woman from Oklahoma was convicted of manslaughter after having a miscarriage, people were outraged. But she was not alone.
Brittney Poolaw was just about four months pregnant when she lost her baby in the hospital in January 2020.
This October, she was convicted and sentenced to four years in prison for the first-degree manslaughter of her unborn son."

(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59214544)

Utterly, utterly insane.  Miscarry your baby and get 4 years in prison!  Dogshit country.

I’m not going to defend her conviction but you should also give the rest of the story, otherwise it looks totally mad.

As it states on the link she was addicted to illicit substances and her dead foetus had meth in its liver and brain.

Presumably the conviction was on the basis of poisoning the unborn baby, not that she simply happened to have a miscarriage.

The story states that it was not definitive that the meth caused her miscarriage and her case is being appealed so hopefully she will get some form of justice. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 12:47, villakram said:

I think you are forgetting the Russia, Russia, Russia stuff and the constraints that placed on domestic policy.

Most of the constraints that placed on domestic policy were a result of Trump being so obsessed with it that he had little energy for anything else.  If he'd really been focused on getting infrastructure done he could easily have made it happen, but it would have taken some work and engagement on his part.   He probably could have gotten way more House Democrats on board than than the number of Republicans who supported this bill if he'd been willing to work for it.  Instead, he just wanted to be able to tell people to get it done and have it magically happen so he could take credit for it.   It's an example of his naivete about how the presidency and US government work.  He thought he would be CEO and could tell people to do stuff and it would happen like in his company.

Now he and his clown posse are calling fellow Republicans traitors for passing legislation that addresses an issue the bulk of Americans, including politicians of all stripes, agree is greatly needed, simply because it might make Biden look good and him look bad in comparison.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 17:39, il_serpente said:

Most of the constraints that placed on domestic policy were a result of Trump being so obsessed with it that he had little energy for anything else.  If he'd really been focused on getting infrastructure done he could easily have made it happen, but it would have taken some work and engagement on his part.   He probably could have gotten way more House Democrats on board than than the number of Republicans who supported this bill if he'd been willing to work for it.  Instead, he just wanted to be able to tell people to get it done and have it magically happen so he could take credit for it.   It's an example of his naivete about how the presidency and US government work.  He thought he would be CEO and could tell people to do stuff and it would happen like in his company.

Now he and his clown posse are calling fellow Republicans traitors for passing legislation that addresses an issue the bulk of Americans, including politicians of all stripes, agree is greatly needed, simply because it might make Biden look good and him look bad in comparison.

It doesn't address half of what is needed. Less than half of the bill is for actual infrastructure and enough of that is already pork. The rest is politics.

He couldn't get it done as the Dems went all republican and made sure they would not vote for any such legislative victory from Trump, which was completely fair given republican behavior towards Obama. The congress was against Trump, e.g., Mitch can't stand him. Hence, the only thing they could get done was tax cuts for the wealthy.

Neo-lib policy objective #1.

oof, Dems looking like they're in for a true shellacking next year

That the incumbent party loses in the midterms is the most guaranteed result in American politics, but the numbers in that thread are still genuinely terrible. Even worse:

Looks like a loss incoming in every Senate battleground as well.

39 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not enough race war under them.

It's possible that the large-majority white electorate thinks there's *too much* race war under them.

But one of the posts in that thread (not quoted above) suggests a simpler, bigger explanation IMO: 29% rate the economy as excellent or good; 70% as not so good or poor. I think gas (petrol) prices and inflation are a bigger issue than anything to do with race one way or the other.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's possible that the large-majority white electorate thinks there's *too much* race war under them.

But one of the posts in that thread (not quoted above) suggests a simpler, bigger explanation IMO: 29% rate the economy as excellent or good; 70% as not so good or poor. I think gas (petrol) prices and inflation are a bigger issue than anything to do with race one way or the other.

Interesting that it cites the stock market is buoyant ("new highs daily") but that inflation is also at a high.

Taking high profits but increasing costs for the consumers?  Surely that can't solely be down to gas prices/supply chain issues/etc?  You'd generally pass on those costs if profits weren't quite so good.

(Edit:  Although of course, greed :D)

Edited by bobzy

:)

Trump ally Bannon taken into custody on contempt charges

Steve Bannon, a longtime ally of former President Donald Trump, surrendered to federal authorities on Monday to face contempt charges after defying a subpoena from a House committee investigating January’s insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

Bannon was taken into custody Monday morning and is expected to appear in court later in the afternoon. The 67-year-old was indicted on Friday on two counts of criminal contempt – one for refusing to appear for a congressional deposition and the other for refusing to provide documents in response to the committee’s subpoena.

https://apnews.com/article/steve-bannon-donald-trump-mark-meadows-congress-subpoenas-5bd5638acb5d93bd8478f57f2b177ded

American Gerontocracy Update - An Actual Retirement!

Patrick Leahy, a sprightly 81 years old*, has decided not to run again for another 6 year term as Senator for Vermont. This opens the vacancy for callow whippersnapper Peter Welch, current at-large House member, a positively juvenile 75 year old, to take his place.

*not really - last time I saw him chairing a session in the Senate, he was visibly confused about what was going on

Edited by HanoiVillan

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

American Gerontocracy Update - An Actual Retirement!

Patrick Leahy, a sprightly 81 years old*, has decided not to run again for another 6 year term as Senator for Vermont. This opens the vacancy for callow whippersnapper Peter Welch, current at-large House member, a positively juvenile 75 year old, to take his place.

*not really - last time I saw him chairing a session in the Senate, he was visibly confused about what was going on

Sounds like a lot of American politicians from Trump to Biden to Leahy to Grassley just to name a few among many.  Just amazing there is no limit however that is determined by age, term limits or whatever.  These people have crucial votes and/impacts and yes not the biggest problem with American politics but needs to be fixed.  American politics is broken.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly, e.g., a cup of lukewarm/burnt coffee has risen by 20-30c in the last 2 months. I can list a zillion other everyday things. Of course, such small things never impact those in congress, but absolutely hammers the lower & middle classes.

53 minutes ago, villakram said:

Not a smart move by the Dems.

The Streisand effect.

I’m not sure I understand, it’s probably the only reasonable thing to do.  To do nothing was far worse and would see 1/6 basically impotent.  I know Bannon still won’t cooperate after he comes out of jail and yes he’ll use it to shout “deep state” and he stood up to them and yes might help with midterms but not much else Dems could do.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Absolute nonsense. 

He declared that the people Rittenhouse killed couldn't be referred to as victims but should be referred to as looters and rioters. Sounds like a Fox News host, not a judge.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure I understand, it’s probably the only reasonable thing to do.  To do nothing was far worse and would see 1/6 basically impotent.  I know Bannon still won’t cooperate after he comes out of jail and yes he’ll use it to shout “deep state” and he stood up to them and yes might help with midterms but not much else Dems could do.

They should have held this over him, plenty of precedent for that, but now they have given him and that political movement the fight they want.

He was back on TV this evening, loving it.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

He declared that the people Rittenhouse killed couldn't be referred to as victims but should be referred to as looters and rioters. Sounds like a Fox News host, not a judge.

What's your opinion on the nice chap that had his arm severed, who admitted during the trial to having a gun in his hand, and this after he attacked Rittenhouse... something backed by fresh video angles of the incident I might add.

This is much murkier than the simple picture blasted all over the media at the time of the incident.

Â